Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Helicopters flying at night in GPW

Our hood is pretty quiet, but over the past two days we've seen a number of helicopters flying around the area. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm in Eastpointe and one just passed probably an hour ago heading east. Other than the navigator lights, I couldn't make out the sort of helicopter it was or what colors it was shaded [[especially since I was looking from inside a lit room). It was also flying pretty low.

In the daytime, I've seen Coast Guard helicopters fly at similar heights but there were always going north-south. In the end, I assumed this recent helicopter to be another Coast Guard one just flying in a different direction. The points of the navigation lights seem to fit that of a Coast Guard heli.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I'm in Eastpointe and one just passed probably an hour ago heading east. Other than the navigator lights, I couldn't make out the sort of helicopter it was or what colors it was shaded [[especially since I was looking from inside a lit room). It was also flying pretty low.

In the daytime, I've seen Coast Guard helicopters fly at similar heights but there were always going north-south. In the end, I assumed this recent helicopter to be another Coast Guard one just flying in a different direction. The points of the navigation lights seem to fit that of a Coast Guard heli.

My Facebook feed is littered with stories of home invasions in GP Farms. Perhaps they've got some eyes in the sky over that. I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    My Facebook feed is littered with stories of home invasions in GP Farms. Perhaps they've got some eyes in the sky over that. I hope so.
    From what I read in the news not to long ago was that there was just one guy doing the most recent ones. Even so, the helicopter I saw didn't have a spot light on the front of it like a news/police chopper would.

City Airport is probably the source of a lot of this traffic, as well as several hospitals in the area. I know they just busted a ring of folks that was doing the home invasions in GPW and the south end of GPP but those pursuits seemed to be on the ground, not in the air.

It's a private security copter hired by the GP City Council, to thwart any further attacks on the farmer's barns @ Kercheval and Alter.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It's a private security copter hired by the GP City Council, to thwart any further attacks on the farmer's barns @ Kercheval and Alter.
    here we go.

How nice of the GP [[City of!) City Council to hire a security copter for the Grosse Pointe Park Farmers' Market! They're two different municipalities. If you're going to hate on them, at least correctly identify your target.

I doubt they would operate at night but there was a recent announcement to expect sightings of low-flying helicopters in SE Michigan due to scheduled power line inspections. IIRC, the operation was supposed to last through this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    How nice of the GP [[City of!) City Council to hire a security copter for the Grosse Pointe Park Farmers' Market! They're two different municipalities. If you're going to hate on them, at least correctly identify your target.
    If you're going to post here, @ least get a sense of humous.

I guess it takes the "50 posts and half a brain" threshold for folks to get enough experience here to know to take you [[mostly) with a sense of humor, and Danny [[often) with a grain of salt.... hehehe....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I guess it takes the "50 posts and half a brain" threshold for folks to get enough experience here to know to take you [[mostly) with a sense of humor, and Danny [[often) with a grain of salt.... hehehe....
    Yeah, well........

Not just Grosse Pointe but the whole east side up to Fraser. There was a lot of activity one night a couple of weeks ago. Two helicopters flying back and forth over the area for a few hours with a small aircraft at a higher attitude orbiting above. Seemed like a homeland security exercise. Definitely not Coast Guard, police, traffic, powerline patrol, or medivac.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    From what I read in the news not to long ago was that there was just one guy doing the most recent ones. Even so, the helicopter I saw didn't have a spot light on the front of it like a news/police chopper would.
    Spotlights are a thing of the past. The newer ones are equipt with night vision technology. CG choppers are bright orange and have that distinctive turbine sound. They usually guard, well, "the coast". Unless they're in pursuit.

I bet that helicopter was racially motivated.

Spotlights are a thing of the past. The newer ones are equipt with night vision technology....
    I would assume that spotlights still have value for illuminating the scene for others on the ground who don't have night vision. On the other hand, they might make an enticing target.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I bet that helicopter was racially motivated.
    I think it was motivated by aviation fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I would assume that spotlights still have value for illuminating the scene for others on the ground who don't have night vision. On the other hand, they might make an enticing target.
    Hell, with all the new shot-triangulating streetlights going up, they should force a common target, especially a well-armored one that is tough to hit, and likely impossible to kill. Ever try to shoot out a half-million candlepower spotlight? I cannot even imagine aiming towards it...I like my retinae. Really.

Cheers!

... Ever try to shoot out a half-million candlepower spotlight?...
    Not since I lost my welder's goggles.

If you're going to post here, @ least get a sense of humous.
    Did you mean a side of hummus?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Not since I lost my welder's goggles.

Now THAT'S using your head.....