Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default plan to shut off water failed, next plan? just foreclose on them. 80k in wayne county

Everyone remembers that plan to shut water off and hope people give up and run away?
    that failed when it became a global news story.

Water shutoffs being inhumane and all, but foreclosures arent inhumane. its just business as usual.
    the new plan? cant take the water, might as well take the entire house.

You're right, they weren't paying taxes, so how were they helping the city/county at all? they still buy food [[presumably) in the city, thus the food business pays taxes. if you remove 80k people ability to live here , wont that affect all other businesses ?

80k more bank/county owned properties with no way to secure them against scrappers.

What about rick Snyder's plan to get 50k people to move to Detroit? is that before or after foreclosing on 100k properties in the past 2 years and 80k properties next year?

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/1...00-properties/

Either its from water shut-offs to building foreclosures, creditors want their money now!

Do you really want your city to be full of people that don't pay their bills? I get that there are people out there that are poor, but they should not be trying to live independently off the backs of everyone else. They should be pooling their resources with other family members like most people do who are in over their heads.

You are not teaching people to fish if you give them fish.

So there should be no recourse for when people don't pay their taxes, mortgages, water bills, etc...?

I just don't see how a world like that operates. Next you'll be expecting people to pay for their groceries before they walk out of the grocery store. But food is a human right!

These people SHOULD be paying their taxes and I will be happy to see them foreclosed on. THEY are the reason detroit has dug itself so damn deep into a hole. If you can't afford to pay your taxes, guess what, you shouldn't be living there. that simple.
    move to somewhere cheaper and get the hell out of our city// move to a cheaper neighborhood.

Cry and moan all you want about 'kicking people out' and 'gentrification'... i'm sick of seeing detroit not progress for the past 30 years because of losers like these people who don't pay their taxes. I'm extremely happy about this

When people don't pay their DTE bills, water bills, taxes, etc. , the cost is passed along in some way to those who do. Higher bills or cuts in services. I don't mind helping, but I draw the line at people who think that everything is a God given right and therefore needs to be provided at no cost.

Pay your bills and it's not a problem. I'm with lpg. I don't mind some limited welfare/assistance or whatever, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Water is not a human right and a house is definitely not a human right. There are plenty of apartments out there for rent.

I was looking at the Dansville, NY. website for personal reasons and thought this was amusing. The mayor discusses what a wonderful little village it is. Scroll down a little further and bam - water shutoffs for non-payment! Think Dansville will make the national news?

www.dansvilleny.us

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Pay your bills and it's not a problem. I'm with lpg. I don't mind some limited welfare/assistance or whatever, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Water is not a human right and a house is definitely not a human right. There are plenty of apartments out there for rent.
    I'm a proud libertarian, but this 'rights' argument is absurd. Proof that the UN is a sick organization.

There's no right to housing or water, IMO. But I think we do have a social obligation to provide shelter and water to those who can't help themselves. I've no problem with socially provided dormitories with drinking fountains. But providing a detached home with an unlimited supply of municipal water? Free refills at all city offices for 1-gallon jugs. Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/1...00-properties/

everyone remembers that plan to shut water off and hope people give up and run away?
    that failed when it became a global news story.

water shutoffs being inhumane and all, but foreclosures arent inhumane. its just business as usual.
    the new plan? cant take the water, might as well take the entire house.

you're right, they werent paying taxes, so how were they helping the city/county at all? they still buy food [[presumably) in the city, thus the food business pays taxes. if you remove 80k people ability to live here , wont that affect all other businesses ?

80k more bank/county owned properties with no way to secure them against scrappers.

what about rick snyders plan to get 50k people to move to detroit? is that before or after foreclosing on 100k properties in the past 2 years and 80k properties next year?
    I echo what everyone else here has said. However, I'd like to add:

You're full of complaints but no solutions.

Listen, I live in the city and pay my own way. Then again, I have a middle class job. However, I know a guy across the street who has a lot of issues but has worked out a tax payment plan with the county. He's back on his taxes but works his ass off and worked with the county to stay in his home.

The question, I believe, is how to bring those resources and solutions TO the people who are behind or unable to pay. My only real complain with the water shutoff is that they seemed to introduce more of the programs to help people after they started shutoffs.

That said, if you're not going to pay, you're not going to stay.

When these go to auction you are going to find out just what the fair market value of these properties are.

Tax auctions are fun to attend unless they get bundled up like they did in Macomb. Last year?

It has been said two things you can't escape Death and Taxes.

But really not paying your property taxes indicates what value the scofflaw places on the Law, their place in the community and the property they are also neglecting.

If they can't cut the mustard then let de-evolution happen. Tough luv.

As a taxpaying citizen who has the pleasure of living in neighborhoods of the city that will be affected, I only have two questions:

1. What will happen to these people once their properties are foreclosed on? The suburbs certainly aren't going to welcome them and I highly doubt they'll suddenly start paying their bills.

2. Who will replace these people once their properties are foreclosed on? Won't the remaining residents simply have to contend with more abandoned properties that will further drag down their property values? Why would folks who pay their bills move into these homes when they can choose other communities that are much safer and offer better municipal services?

Are we just going to take the "let the chips fall where there may" approach we've been taking for the past 50 years?
    Last edited by 313WX; October-16-14 at 11:32 AM.

Willi Guest

Water should cost about $100 per Gallon, and I'm serious. It is waaaayyyy toooo cheap now.
    Only then will people treat it as the precious commodity it truly is.
    I have no problem turning spigots shut until people pay their water bills.
    They need the water - more than electricity, and more than the gasoline in their cars.
    Clean , pressurized, drinkable water delivered into a home is a service industry.

my solution is to cut detroit up into seperate cities.
    let that land go back to the state. let them take care of it.

do you think forclosure and auctions will work in detroit?
    wayne county has been doing auctions for a while now.
    arent there still $1 houses for sale?
    how many properties at auction arent sold each year?
    i have not been paying attention, so depressing.

313WX brings up good points.
    can your block take every 5th house being empty ?

I don't see how adding a whole bunch of borderline type houses to the county real estate rolls really helps, isn't there a problem dealing with the ones that are already there? Plus the cost of evictions will really add up. Unintended consequences will really hit hard.

As far as water being a human right, that may be so, but does that include water that has been purified and processed and personally delivered using money from ratepayers? What about shutting it all off and providing a water access point, say at the processing plant. Want water and can't or don't want to pay? Come and get it here.m Or just throw your bucket in the river and help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I
    As far as water being a human right, that may be so, but does that include water that has been purified and processed and personally delivered using money from ratepayers? What about shutting it all off and providing a water access point, say at the processing plant. Want water and can't or don't want to pay? Come and get it here.m Or just throw your bucket in the river and help yourself.

Water is never a human right. It's a birthright for all living things on Earth. We can still get free water from rivers, lakes, ponds, underground and oceans. Only we have to do is filter out the toxic impurities and voila! clean drinkable water.

To getting city water you have to pay for their services. If you can't your bill your city water services get turned off plain and simple. No one in Detroit and suburbs just can't pay their bills and all the sudden we can't because of this, that and no job. Too bad! its going to happen while you living the free lunch line. I have to pay my bills, too. On time at the payment center. It's unfair to have some upside down courts and politics and welfare folks to say that quit turning off our water. Well you all brought your homestead and pay to have water and utility services turn on so keep on paying to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    So there should be no recourse for when people don't pay their taxes, mortgages, water bills, etc...?

I just don't see how a world like that operates. Next you'll be expecting people to pay for their groceries before they walk out of the grocery store. But food is a human right!
    You have to not pay ANY taxes for almost four years before they foreclose. How much time you want to give them?

Willi Guest

Change the rules, expedite the deadbeats, revive the city with people that care.
    That goes for the industrial commercial pricks as well who let stuff slide far too long.

According to WDWOT, roughly 50% of the properties that made it to the auction this year were occupied. Apply that to this situation we're talking about 35,000 occupied homes that are going to get foreclosure notices.

If the water debacle is any indication, about half of those will pay or get on a payment plan once the hammer comes down. That means about 17,000 houses that have slumlords, squatters or someone who is truly unable to pay and may be headed to foreclosure.

Default The City/County should become the new LLs

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Do you really want your city to be full of people that don't pay their bills? I get that there are people out there that are poor, but they should not be trying to live independently off the backs of everyone else. They should be pooling their resources with other family members like most people do who are in over their heads.

You are not teaching people to fish if you give them fish.
    The city, after foreclosing should then rent the properties back to the ex-owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    According to WDWOT, roughly 50% of the properties that made it to the auction this year were occupied. Apply that to this situation we're talking about 35,000 occupied homes that are going to get foreclosure notices.

If the water debacle is any indication, about half of those will pay or get on a payment plan once the hammer comes down. That means about 17,000 houses that have slumlords, squatters or someone who is truly unable to pay and may be headed to foreclosure.
    Time to build a brand new city. Start over with new boundaries. And new or rehabbed properties. Detroit cannot keep going like it did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    my solution is to cut detroit up into seperate cities.
    let that land go back to the state. let them take care of it.

do you think forclosure and auctions will work in detroit?
    wayne county has been doing auctions for a while now.
    arent there still $1 houses for sale?
    how many properties at auction arent sold each year?
    i have not been paying attention, so depressing.

313WX brings up good points.
    can your block take every 5th house being empty ?
    I completely agree with the bolded.

Willi Guest

Why would the taxpayers of the State of Michigan want to own the cut-up land ?
    Isn't it easier just to put Detroit under State Control ?
    The Michigan Land Bank is owned and operated by the 10 Million resident taxpayers

NOTICE REGARDING PROPERTIES IN THE CITY OF DETROIT

Pursuant to Section 7.02 of the Second Amended and Restated Intergovernmental Agreement between the Michigan Land Bank Fast Track Authority [[MLBFTA) and the City of Detroit [[City) creating the Detroit Land Bank Authority [[DLBA), approved as Resolution #2013-16 by the Board of Directors of the MLBFTA at the Special Board Meeting held 12/19/2013, the MLBFTA are in the process of transferring all of its rights, title and interest to all real property it holds within the geographic limitations of the City to the DLBA.

During this transition period, MLBFTA will forward your information to the DLBA if the parcel is one which had been in the MLBFTA inventory prior to this transfer. Please send an e-mail to LandBank@michigan.gov with your contact information and the address and parcel number of the property in question. Subsequent to this transfer, you may contact the DLBA at [[313) 974-6869 if you are interested in acquiring a parcel in the City of Detroit.
    Last edited by Willi; October-16-14 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    The city, after foreclosing should then rent the properties back to the ex-owners.
    The city should not try to be a residential landlord, it's having a hard enough time just being a city.

Generally rent on a house is going to be more than what the mortgage was. So if they couldn't afford it before, they can't afford it as a rental.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    The city should not try to be a residential landlord, it's having a hard enough time just being a city.

Generally rent on a house is going to be more than what the mortgage was. So if they couldn't afford it before, they can't afford it as a rental.
    How do you figure that? Most Detroit properties rent anywhere from $500 to $1,000 and up, depending on condition and location. Sounds cheaper than a mortgage to me, unless you're talking about the better neighborhoods such as Green Acres, Rosedale Park, Grandmont, etc...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-16-14 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast