Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Halloween back in the day.

Were you a kid in Detroit's heyday at Halloween? What was it like?

Halloween back in the day was almost as much fun as Christmas. My Halloweening took place in the 50's. Halloween always started with a trip to Eastern Market to pick out the pumpkin. Everybody wore homemade costumes. Growing up in Jeff-Chalmers was trick-or-treaters dream. Every store up and down Jefferson from Conner to Alter Rd. was open even the banks, which normally closed at 3. There were no vacant storefronts on Jefferson back then. My favorite stop was the Detroit Bank Trust. All the kids could reach into a big bowl and scoop up as many pennies as they could hold. No one was worried about kids being out at night because the streets were packed with kids. All the kids knew each other because we went to the same elementary school which we all walked to because it was in the neighborhood. There were always parents up and down Jefferson who looked out for all the kids not just theirs. Sometimes we would have to go home to unload our goodies and head back out. There was no need to stop at the police station to have the candy checked. That wasn't even a concept back then. Halloween was the only night most kids didn't have to be home before the streetlights came on. It was truly a magical time.
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; October-10-14 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    My Halloweening ...
    You are the only other person I know besides my dad to call it Halloweening rather than trick or treating.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Halloween back in the day was almost as much fun as Christmas. My Halloweening took place in the 50's. Halloween always started a trip to Eastern Market to pick out the pumpkin. Everybody wore homemade costumes. Growing up in Jeff-Chalmers was trick-or-treaters dream. Every store up and down Jefferson from Conner to Alter Rd. was open even the banks, which normally closed at 3. There we no vacant storefronts on Jefferson back then. My favorite stop was the Detroit Bank Trust. All the kids could reach in a big bowl and scoop up as many pennies as they could hold. No one was worried about kids being out at night because the streets were packed with kids. All the kids knew each other because we went to the same elementary school which we all walked to because it was in the neighborhood. There were always parents up and down Jefferson who looked out for all the kids not just theirs. Sometimes we would have to go home to unload our goodies and head back out. There was no need to stop at the police station to have the candy checked. That wasn't even a concept back then. Halloween was the only night most kids didn't have to be home before the streetlights came on. It was truly a magical time.
    Oh boy did you nail it, though my Halloweening took place in the 40s during WWII. It was much the same except that we did just the neighborhoods and would make two or three trips home to unload as the sacks got too heavy to carry for my six and seven year old self. We had candy enough until Christmas and usually a belly ache the morning after. Not a worry one about the safety of our treats as that was just unthought of.

It was truly a magical time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    You are the only other person I know besides my dad to call it Halloweening rather than trick or treating.
    It's an age thing. LOL

Peak period for us was mid-60s. We'd wait 'til dusk, then head out up one side of the street loading up. There was a small church at the end that had a big yard and parking lot where they set up a small carnival of sorts, more like a fair I guess with booths and games. We'd hang out there for a bit, get some hot cider, then start back down the other side of the street. Street was quite crowded on both sides for several blocks until 9 or 10PM.

Then home to sort.

Cork from bottle caps, burned on the gas stove burner, drew beards and mustaches. Patches basted on slacks completed the hobo/tramp costume. Pillow cases held two loads of candy. It was "Help The Poor", not "Trick Or Treat", in our east side neighborhood.
    As we got a bit older, we found that stopping in several local bars on Gratiot could be very profitable. Drinkers were free with their quarters and dollar bills. I made ten bucks, one year.