Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bloomfield Hills' old estates along Woodward

I've always been fascinated with, and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about, the old estates that used to be along Woodward in Bloomfield Hills. I know the Rathmor estate [[whose back driveway still comes out on Woodward just north of Long Lake) is still standing, as is the house that became the center of the St. Elizabeth Briarbank complex and the house that is now part of the Roeper campus, but does anyone know about any of the other houses? I know the Graham estate used to sit on what is now the Pine Gate subdivision [[in fact the start of Pine Gate Dr follows the original curve of the driveway - I was there once as a little boy, looking at taxidermy, but other than a white-trimmed french door inside, I remember nothing. Long story), and I still remember when the front gate and wall along Woodward were torn down.

Anyone know of any others? Anyone have any photos? Thank you so much!!!

Well, Robin Williams lived in one of those grand estates for a few years during his childhood. He mentioned in an interview that it had been torn down. Here is a link to another estate: A.J. Stahelin residence.

Here is a little history on the Roeper School's "Hill House", aka "Coventry Crest" or the Alfred Stephens house.
    http://www.coventrycrest.net/history.htm

ooh, thanks! the stahelin house still exists - it's on the north side of long lake between franklin and kirkway road! [[i know my bloomfield hills mansions )

the hill house link is great, EastsideAl, thank you!

oh, i just saw more photos from the stahelin house link - there's another limestone-faced house exterior labelled incorretly as the stahelin house. i can't recall the owner's name [[i'll have to look in my "buildings of detroit" book when i get home, i know it's in there), but it's now part of kirk in the hills church.

Wish I had heard about this talk about the Walter Briggs' Walbri Estate before it happened!!

http://www.thetowntalk.com/story/new...ture/16264315/

funny you mention the walbri estate, a good friend from highschool's [[oddly enough, the same friend who, in the "lesser architects of detriot" forum, i mentioned lived in the since-demolished alden down house in bloomfield hills) father just bought it. i would LOVE to see the inside!!! what i've seen has only been real estate listing photos, and while it looks absolutely grand, it also looks like it had fallen into some state of disrepair...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Well, Robin Williams lived in one of those grand estates for a few years during his childhood. He mentioned in an interview that it had been torn down. Here is a link to another estate: A.J. Stahelin residence.
    Speaking of Robin Williams. I had the opportunity to go by his current home where he passed away. Took some photographs of the front yard. I'd told some co-workers who swore up and down that Robin Williams was a Bay area native. I had to correct them on this by telling them that he's originally from Chicago, but resided in the Bloomfield, Hill up to his 3rd yr in high school. His family moved here during his junior or sophomore year.