Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default L. Brooks Attacks DIA Again, This Time Over Pay Raises

L. Brooks compares DIA to Marie Antoinette. I have to say, it doesn't help that the DIA's director looks like a smug, slimy toad.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lage/16954085/

Meh, I'd rather pay for DIA wages over L Brooks' wage any day. I don't find that picture of him to be that smug, just a simple work shot.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...lage/16954085/

L. Brooks compares DIA to Marie Antoinette. I have to say, it doesn't help that the DIA's director looks like a smug, slimy toad.
    I think LBP is right on this matter. The timing sure isn't good right now.

L Brooks didn't attack the DIA, he criticized how much the top officials there make and recent raised that they got.

Looks like our tax millage really helped set up much more than an endowment for the DIA.

L Brooks is 100% correct.

It's outrageous for museum leadership to mislead taxpayers that financial support is needed for the museum collection and endowment, and then have them turn around and fatten their [[already very fat) paychecks.

Did the zoo do the same? Let me guess, the zoo director just had his/her salary doubled?

When was the last time Brooks attacked the DIA??

A half million a year? Doesn't he realize he is a semi-public employee?

If you ask me, they are all way overpaid. Comparing one overpaid fat cat to another is just a way to justify huge increases in salaries.

Nice gig for Graham Beal. I know the salaries of some very high profile surgeons in Metro Detroit and they don't make close to his salary+bonus, but, hey, they're only saving lives, not working at a supposedly struggling non-profit arts organization.

"Sorry Hon, we can't pay for your cancer prescriptions this month, Graham Beal needs a few new bowties."

DetroitPlanner: Brooks has criticized the DIA over compensation before [[http://www.wxyz.com/news/dia-sparkin...m-with-bonuses), and was critical when a story floated about reinstating entrance fees [[http://www.macombdaily.com/arts-and-...as-rescue-plan). But I'm sure you'll find another hole in what I just wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    DetroitPlanner: Brooks has criticized the DIA over compensation before [[http://www.wxyz.com/news/dia-sparkin...m-with-bonuses), and was critical when a story floated about reinstating entrance fees [[http://www.macombdaily.com/arts-and-...as-rescue-plan). But I'm sure you'll find another hole in what I just wrote.
    Your thread title and posts seem to concentrate your criticism on L. Brooks. Are you saying that you feel the salaries for these top DIA officials are justified and the L. Brooks is being unfair?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    When was the last time Brooks attacked the DIA??

A half million a year? Doesn't he realize he is a semi-public employee?

If you ask me, they are all way overpaid. Comparing one overpaid fat cat to another is just a way to justify huge increases in salaries.
    Agreed, plus his employer gave him a loan to buy a luxury home. What's the chance of anyone like us getting that? Plus, the timing for this looks bad. Even though we know these execs aren't paid from the City or the DIA itself, most people will just look at the headline and assume otherwise. With the bankruptcy and all the "let's shield the DIA from creditors" furor & frenzy this leaves a negative impression with the general public.

Maybe they can hire one of you at half the salary. You probably know how to run an art museum. How hard can it be?

Of course you guys are going to start screaming about perscriptions and other sensational nonsense. Did you even read the second part of the article?

Take a look at Charity Navigator. The DIA is a four-start rated charity and Graham Beal makes less than 2% of the annual budget. Nearly 80% of the budget goes to programs and services.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=3619

The Detroit Historical Society's CEO makes over 5% of its annual budget and it is a three-star charity.

Remember how that fuckhead Rochelle Riley was whining about saving the Charles H. Wright? It's a one-star rated charity with only about half of the money donated to it going to actual programs and services. Its CEO makes a higher percentage of the annual budget than the DIA's.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=6980

I am no way affiliated with the DIA. You know, the voters actually got to assent to this, and seem to be in favor of a world-class Museum. That is what we have. There is even data to back all this up. You think somebody is going to run it for $14.00 per hour?

Willi Guest

Maybe LBrooksP feels slighted with his meager $173,500 yearly salary

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Of course you guys are going to start screaming about perscriptions and other sensational nonsense. Did you even read the second part of the article?

Take a look at Charity Navigator. The DIA is a four-start rated charity and Graham Beal makes less than 2% of the annual budget. Nearly 80% of the budget goes to programs and services.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=3619

The Detroit Historical Society's CEO makes over 5% of its annual budget and it is a three-star charity.

Remember how that fuckhead Rochelle Riley was whining about saving the Charles H. Wright? It's a one-star rated charity with only about half of the money donated to it going to actual programs and services. Its CEO makes a higher percentage of the annual budget than the DIA's.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=6980

I am no way affiliated with the DIA. You know, the voters actually got to assent to this, and seem to be in favor of a world-class Museum. That is what we have. There is even data to back all this up. You think somebody is going to run it for $14.00 per hour?
    Stop it. We don't want context or reality for our rants. We just know he makes more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Nice gig for Graham Beal. I know the salaries of some very high profile surgeons in Metro Detroit and they don't make close to his salary+bonus, but, hey, they're only saving lives, not working at a supposedly struggling non-profit arts organization.
    Not just surgeons, but he makes more than the POTUS and just about all other government leaders on down.

Brooks is speaking truth to power. He's criticizing the 1% here. Should be cause for celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307
    Your thread title and posts seem to concentrate your criticism on L. Brooks. Are you saying that you feel the salaries for these top DIA officials are justified and the L. Brooks is being unfair?

Honestly, I'm not sure. Both sides have merit. That said, I just know that invoking L. Brooks here is like pouring gasoline on a fire. It's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Maybe they can hire one of you at half the salary. You probably know how to run an art museum. How hard can it be?
    There are plenty of people who have the business acumen to manage a large nonprofit at 250k + bonus + benefits. There are plenty of people who would do it for $1 [[rich people, like Mayor Bloomberg, who took a $1 salary). It's absurd to argue otherwise.

And this is a prestige position. You don't attract people to such a position strictly due to salary. You think it's impossible to find a President of the U.S. or Secretary of the U.N. because they aren't being paid as much as Graham Beal?

The Secretary of the UN makes 250k. The Mayor of New York makes 200k. The President of the U.S. makes 400k. The Prime Minister of Britain makes 140k [[pounds).

You really think Graham Beal has a tougher position than the UK Prime Minster? He needs to make 4x the salary of PM Cameron, or the museum will shut down? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Sorry, but no, the voters were never asked to have their taxes raised to make DIA leadership even wealthier. The claim was that they were saving the museum, and the funds would go to the endowment. The claim was that this was a bankrupt museum in a bankrupt city, and that extraordinary measures were needed for survival.

What "data" are you referring to? Most museums aren't funded through taxpayer dollars. Not one cent in millage dollars goes to fund the Met or MOMA. Graham Beal can be paid $50 million for all I care, the issue is that he is being paid through taxpayer dollars, and specifically through a special millage that was intended to save the museum, not enrich the leadership.

Bham1982, you are so funny when you go off on one of your indignant rampages.... people don't take you too seriously... but you're funny nonetheless...

There are plenty of people who have the business acumen to manage a large nonprofit at 250k + bonus + benefits. There are plenty of people who would do it for $1 [[rich people, like Mayor Bloomberg, who took a $1 salary). It's absurd to argue otherwise.
    n=1. Good job. Where is the line of these people you mention who have offered their services to the DIA for free?

And this is a prestige position. You don't attract people to such a position strictly due to salary. You think it's impossible to find a President of the U.S. or Secretary of the U.N. because they aren't being paid as much as Graham Beal?
    Again, who is positioning themselves to do it for less?

The Secretary of the UN makes 250k. The Mayor of New York makes 200k. The President of the U.S. makes 400k. The Prime Minister of Britain makes 140k [[pounds).

You really think Graham Beal has a tougher position than the UK Prime Minster? He needs to make 4x the salary of PM Cameron, or the museum will shut down? LOL.
    Strange then that David Cameron didn't offer his services to the DIA for so much less money.

n=1. Good job. Where is the line of these people you mention who have offered their services to the DIA for free?
    Sorry, I don't work for this allegedly cash-strapped nonprofit. Why are you asking me this question?

Pay me 50k [[probably not even a tenth of what the DIA board would spend on the endeavor) and I'll have a list of a couple hundred extremely qualified individuals worthy of the board's consideration within a few months.

Do you seriously believe that they would have difficulty filling the position with a competent individual absent obscene salary and benefits?

I seriously believe there's a real problem with your entire "there's always somebody who will do your job for less money" philosophy.

Do you seriously believe that they would have difficulty filling the position with a competent individual absent obscene salary and benefits?
    But it isn't that obscene compared to the other great art museums of the US. Sure it's partially publicly funded now but it looks to be that his salary is a drop in the budget bucket.

It's funny how angry Americans react to our tax dollars being spent on this, supporting a fabulous cultural institution [[endowment, preservation, salaries, et al), but are silent on spending billions/trillions on war or angry when we try to delegate money from the military industrial complex to education or health care. But I digress...

I seriously believe there's a real problem with your entire "there's always somebody who will do your job for less money" philosophy.
    I don't have such a philosophy. Maybe re-read the thread.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast