Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default No Criminal Charges for Owner of Pit Bull Pack that Mauled Eastside Man

Talk About An Outrage!!! Just read this in the paper this morning:

"The man who owned the pack of pit bulls that severely mauled another man the night of Oct. 2 on Detroit's east side has received a handful of misdemeanor citations in the case, but is unlikely to be charged criminally, according to a Detroit police spokesman"

I am dumbfounded that this incident would only generate misdemeanor citations. The owner of this pack of vicious dogs should be prosecuted to the fullest. The gentleman didn't die...yet...but he lost hands, feet, had his clothes torn off his body by this pack...and the owner isn't arrested, fined a huge amount of money, and isn't even spending any time in jail. Where are all the human rights advocates now? They are charging the couple in Lapeer with murder [[and rightfully so) because their two dogs killed a man. Why isn't this man being charged with at least a felony for harboring vicious dogs, for attempted murder?

I seems to me that it's now open season on anyone walking the streets. Vicious dogs everywhere in Detroit are allowed to roam free. Children are at risk, everyone is at risk...now the owners know they won't face any consequences if their pet, "who never hurt anyone before", attacks and rips apart some unsuspecting pedestrian. What an outrage!

He should be jailed for the brutal mauling and for the severe mistreatment of the dogs. 5-10 years sounds reasonable.

Pit bulls are actually some of the least aggressive dogs out there. When they act like this, they have absolutely been abused beyond belief. And the victim needs justice in this tragedy.

Also, to me, this is one of the scariest things about Detroit. I am a dog person, yet, when I previously did some urban exploration of Detroit, I was more fearful of the dogs than the people. There are packs of dogs, and there are obviously abused dogs on chains lunging at pedestrians. I can't outrun a pack of dogs, so my urban exploration days [[for Detroit, at least) are done.
    Last edited by Bham1982; October-09-14 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    They are charging the couple in Lapeer with murder [[and rightfully so) because their two dogs killed a man. Why isn't this man being charged with at least a felony for harboring vicious dogs, for attempted murder?

I seems to me that it's now open season on anyone walking the streets. Vicious dogs everywhere in Detroit are allowed to roam free. Children are at risk, everyone is at risk...now the owners know they won't face any consequences if their pet, "who never hurt anyone before", attacks and rips apart some unsuspecting pedestrian. What an outrage!
    Could be because of different prosecutors in different counties for the lack of charges.

You do raise a good point in that this could set a precedent and potential defense for anyone in the future charged with having a dog[[s) at large attack and injure/kill someone.

Willi Guest

I have a neighbor whose dog charges the fence every time I go in MY backyard.
    The barking and noise is horrendous. People need to be held responsible for their "pets".
    Human life will ALWAYS trump a pets life.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Just read this in the paper this morning:

"The man who owned the pack of pit bulls that severely mauled another man the night of Oct. 2 on Detroit's east side has received a handful of misdemeanor citations in the case, but is unlikely to be charged criminally, according to a Detroit police spokesman"

I am dumbfounded that this incident would only generate misdemeanor citations. The owner of this pack of vicious dogs should be prosecuted to the fullest. The gentleman didn't die...yet...but he lost hands, feet, had his clothes torn off his body by this pack...and the owner isn't arrested, fined a huge amount of money, and isn't even spending any time in jail. Where are all the human rights advocates now? They are charging the couple in Lapeer with murder [[and rightfully so) because their two dogs killed a man. Why isn't this man being charged with at least a felony for harboring vicious dogs, for attempted murder?

Absolutely disgusting. The owner should be facing a felony.