Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DPD/Weekley Trial Stopped Pending Appeal Of Charge Dismissal

Update Oct. 10: Judge declares Mistrial on Remaining Charge after Hung Jury
    Jump to update discussion >>

==================================
    "A Wayne County Circuit Court judge this morning dismissed an involuntary manslaughter charge against a Detroit police officer charged in the death of 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones.

The attorney for Joseph Weekley requested that Judge Cynthia Gray Hathaway dismiss the felony charge.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran immediately objected and asked for a stay before closing arguments in Weekley's trial, which was granted. The charge of careless discharge causing injury or death remains before the jury.

Hathaway adjourned the proceedings until Monday to give the Court of Appeals a chance to weigh in."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ones/16636179/

do you think the prosecutor will even bring charges on a lesser charge [[accidental discharge causing death?) after she loses in appeal?

horrible conclusion-- so far-- so now what, pleading out to the misdemeanor charge, probation at best?

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Danny, you're an outrage. You can't wait for a race riot to happen? You say the rioters can go North of 8 Mile and burn suburbs? Your statement shows your low mentality and I take it as a threat to myself and my community.

If you think that rioters/looters would be allowed to come to my community, or any other community and think of burning or looting, think again. If you think that Chief Craig or any future Chief of Police in Detroit would allow a repeat of what happened in Detroit years ago, you are crazy. This would NOT be tolerated by my police department or any other police department that I know of....and most of all, it wouldn't be tolerated by me and the people who live in my community. Instead of remaining civil and letting the courts handle it, you want to perpetuate hate, suspicion, and divide. I would hope that Lowell would have enough balls to knock your ass off this forum for a week or two...or forever, you are a hate monger.

Incidentally, where is all your outrage when it comes to the hundreds of other black children and young people who are being murdered every day in Detroit by other blacks? Detroit Police have a thankless job and they do it because it's a calling. Ofc. Weekley did not start his day saying he was going to shoot Alyana, her father was the murderer and he, his mother, his family members put that baby in harms way. I have my opinion about what Grandma did, but I'll leave it up to the jury to decide.
    Detroit police do their job because it's a calling? Not too sure about that blanket statement - plenty of them enjoy the power trip - some others are in it for what they can steal.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Detroit police do their job because it's a calling? Not too sure about that blanket statement - plenty of them enjoy the power trip - some others are in it for what they can steal.
    If you think it's for the money or the glory or for what they can steal, there's no sense in trying to change your mind. I come from a long line of Detroit Firefighters and Detroit Police and I know there are some bad apples...but that's true in any job in any city, in any occupation. 99.9% of police and fire personnel are good, caring men and women who have a thankless job. In Detroit, they are certainly not in it for the pay.

It's also a job that they volunteered for. No one forced them into the profession. I hear this all the time from my teacher friends. If you choose a job that is "thankless", as you put it, don't expect martyrdom out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    It's also a job that they volunteered for. No one forced them into the profession. I hear this all the time from my teacher friends. If you choose a job that is "thankless", as you put it, don't expect martyrdom out of the deal.
    You are absolutely correct that it's a job they volunteered for and no one forced them into it. However, there are many things that a person had to go through first to become a Detroit Police Officer. MCOLES, health screenings, vision exams, felony checks, credit checks, personal family information looked into, screenings, law classes, physicial training, gun training, driving training...it's not your everyday 9-5, suit and tie or apron kind of a job. So to go through all of that for approx. $15/hr to start means either you're nuts or you want to make a difference in Detroit by helping it's citizens and keeping the thugs and murderers, drug dealers and muggers at bay...all the time, risking your own life in the process. I don't think martyrdom is on their agenda.

You are absolutely correct that it's a job they volunteered for and no one forced them into it. However, there are many things that a person had to go through first to become a Detroit Police Officer. MCOLES, health screenings, vision exams, felony checks, credit checks, personal family information looked into, screenings, law classes, physicial training, gun training, driving training...it's not your everyday 9-5, suit and tie or apron kind of a job. So to go through all of that for approx. $15/hr to start means either you're nuts or you want to make a difference in Detroit by helping it's citizens and keeping the thugs and murderers, drug dealers and muggers at bay...all the time, risking your own life in the process. I don't think martyrdom is on their agenda.
    I get what you're saying. I know that many want to make a difference, and that is a lot of sacrifice, similar to the military. So let me ask you this: since there are police and firefighters throughout our fine country, what would be the specific motivation to do this job in Metro Detroit vs. elsewhere?

I asked this question to one of my friends who is an arson investigator for DFD during the time when all of the concessions were being made. I told him he could make more money elsewhere, and I used NYC as an example. His reasons were losing seniority and tall buildings [[can understand that one).

With so many Detroit police officers and firefighters no longer living in the community that they are protecting, what is their motivation?

I get what you're saying. I know that many want to make a difference, and that is a lot of sacrifice, similar to the military. So let me ask you this: since there are police and firefighters throughout our fine country, what would be the specific motivation to do this job in Metro Detroit vs. elsewhere?

With so many Detroit police officers and firefighters no longer living in the community that they are protecting, what is their motivation?
    Because firefighting is the best job in the world [[no offense to my friends in blue

Yes, yes. But what would be the motivation to do it here vs. anywhere else in the country?

As far as being a police officer in Detroit, it was knowing you where going to work in a city that was booming and you where going to help in keeping it a great city. Not to mention, in the early 70's the Detroit Police Department was considered one of the finest in the country. The police department was routinely used by other large city police departments for training. The DPD in my opinion is still one of the finest departments in the country doing great things to improve the city for all with little respect and with little resources. If it where not for the dedicated officers working in Detroit, and putting it all on the line God only knows what Detroit would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    As far as being a police officer in Detroit, it was knowing you where going to work in a city that was booming and you where going to help in keeping it a great city. Not to mention, in the early 70's the Detroit Police Department was considered one of the finest in the country. The police department was routinely used by other large city police departments for training. The DPD in my opinion is still one of the finest departments in the country doing great things to improve the city for all with little respect and with little resources. If it where not for the dedicated officers working in Detroit, and putting it all on the line God only knows what Detroit would be like.
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Yes, yes. But what would be the motivation to do it here vs. anywhere else in the country?
    No one fights fire like DFD. I'd be privileged to roll with those folks.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I guess this must be one of the 0.1% [[according to cla1945) that enjoys stealing: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...atch/17011525/

I guess this must be one of the 0.1% [[according to cla1945) that enjoys stealing: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...atch/17011525/
    Read my post regarding the dirty cop. I still think that 99.9% of police and fire personnel have integrity, honesty, are hard working, and care about Detroit and want it to prosper. Won't change my mind on this one because I've worked, played, lived with, worshipped with, cried with many of Detroit's Firefighters, past and present...know many cops who know other cops...and they're all good people.

Read my post regarding the dirty cop. I still think that 99.9% of police and fire personnel have integrity, honesty, are hard working, and care about Detroit and want it to prosper. Won't change my mind on this one because I've worked, played, lived with, worshipped with, cried with many of Detroit's Firefighters, past and present...know many cops who know other cops...and they're all good people.
    Interesting that one point DPD did not even want to release the number of active officers:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._departme.html

Excerpt from the story: "According to data provided to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by the Detroit Police Department, the force had 2.760 sworn officers and 327 civilian employees in 2011."

Let's do the math with the estimate from 2011.

Let's just say it's 3000. That's 3 dirty cops. 2000? 2 dirty cops. 1000? 1 dirty cop.

So are you sitting there with a straight face and trying to tell me that in the city of Detroit, there are less than 3 dirty cops?!?

Exhibit A from 2004: http://www.policeone.com/investigati...ficers-Begins/

Hey, you can be a cheerleader for DPD and DFD all you want. They do dangerous work. I have friends and family members in both departments, and I am prior military, so I get it. But please don't whitewash the bad apples by continuing on with this 99.9% number when it's not true.

Well this case just went to a mistrial again.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...ating/29050744

Interesting that one point DPD did not even want to release the number of active officers:
    http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._departme.html

Excerpt from the story: "According to data provided to the Federal Bureau of Investigation by the Detroit Police Department, the force had 2.760 sworn officers and 327 civilian employees in 2011."

Let's do the math with the estimate from 2011.

Let's just say it's 3000. That's 3 dirty cops. 2000? 2 dirty cops. 1000? 1 dirty cop.

So are you sitting there with a straight face and trying to tell me that in the city of Detroit, there are less than 3 dirty cops?!?

Exhibit A from 2004: http://www.policeone.com/investigati...ficers-Begins/

Hey, you can be a cheerleader for DPD and DFD all you want. They do dangerous work. I have friends and family members in both departments, and I am prior military, so I get it. But please don't whitewash the bad apples by continuing on with this 99.9% number when it's not true.

You want to split hairs on this one, go ahead. I'm not going to argue percentages with you. I know what I know, you know what you know, so lets leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Well this case just went to a mistrial again.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/w...ating/29050744
    Ms. Worthy should drop this case against Ofc. Weekley and go after the real criminals in Detroit and Wayne County. A third trial would be an injustice, not only to Ofc. Weekley, but to the taxpayers of Wayne County. These trials are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Ms. Worthy should drop this case against Ofc. Weekley and go after the real criminals in Detroit and Wayne County. A third trial would be an injustice, not only to Ofc. Weekley, but to the taxpayers of Wayne County. These trials are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
    Yeah, we should just let cops kill citizens at random. Maybe even award them points for each. Oh wait, those are promotions.

Every cop that kills an innocent or unarmed citizen should be fired. With or without a criminal or civil trial, they should lose their badge/certification. No second chances to kill another. One and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yeah, we should just let cops kill citizens at random. Maybe even award them points for each. Oh wait, those are promotions.

Every cop that kills an innocent or unarmed citizen should be fired. With or without a criminal or civil trial, they should lose their badge/certification. No second chances to kill another. One and done.
    Isn't that what's happening right now in Detroit with the thugs killing children? Random shootings? Random drive bys? These gang bangers are getting their creds by shooting anyone who happens to be in the site of their AK, babies, toddlers, young adults, anyone. The animal that Ofc. Weekley was searching for that night shot a young black teen because he looked at him wrong. Why aren't you trashing him instead of the Police? Why aren't you speaking of all the others who go out every day and kill?

How can you type such trash? What should we do with every thug that kills an innocent or unarmed citizen.? When people start speaking up, turning in these ruthless thugs, maybe justice will finally be served. If you want to be angry with someone, be angry with the family who put the baby in harms way...not the officers who were doing their job.

Two juries have spoken, two juries were hung. There should be no more trials for Ofc. Weekley. He did not, I repeat, did not, get up that morning saying to himself he was going to go out and murder an innocent young child; that was not is goal. His goal was to get the child's father, the animal who shot another black child, off the street.

^^ So called 'trained professionals' are not supposed to make such careless mistakes. We're not talking about common street thugs. We're talking about people sworn to uphold laws and protect citizens.

The typical slogan is something about the city's 'finest', so they should be held to a much higher standard, not a lowered one of "OK, so you killed a kid, so what?"

This whole case was a tragedy. Another tragedy is the lack of a similar uproar when other victims are murdered, on purpose, at a nearly daily rate.
    It wasn't always accepted, forum members, at least not to this degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ So called 'trained professionals' are not supposed to make such careless mistakes. We're not talking about common street thugs. We're talking about people sworn to uphold laws and protect citizens.

The typical slogan is something about the city's 'finest', so they should be held to a much higher standard, not a lowered one of "OK, so you killed a kid, so what?"
    They are trained professionals and they are human beings. This was not a careless mistake. For people to arm chair quarterback what happened that night is absolutely wrong. This was a mission to find a murderer that was being hidden by his mother in the house where the child was sleeping on a couch. Grandma interferred where she shouldn't have and unfortunately the gun was discharged. A trained professional tries his/her best to follow protocol and usually these kinds of missions work flawlessly...that night it didn't.

DPD are Detroit's finest, bar none. No one here, and especially Ofc. Weekley, does not have an attitude that "OK, so you killed a kid, so what?"...I think that attitude is reserved for a lot of people in Detroit who are participants in all the murders that are committed on a daily basis. They are the ones you should be criticizing.

They are trained professionals and they are human beings. This was not a careless mistake. For people to arm chair quarterback what happened that night is absolutely wrong. This was a mission to find a murderer that was being hidden by his mother in the house where the child was sleeping on a couch. Grandma interferred where she shouldn't have and unfortunately the gun was discharged. A trained professional tries his/her best to follow protocol and usually these kinds of missions work flawlessly...that night it didn't.

DPD are Detroit's finest, bar none. No one here, and especially Ofc. Weekley, does not have an attitude that "OK, so you killed a kid, so what?"...I think that attitude is reserved for a lot of people in Detroit who are participants in all the murders that are committed on a daily basis. They are the ones you should be criticizing.
    Most experts on here would piss themselves and run to mommy if they went on some calls with the cops or fire dept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast