Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long vacant, decrepit steel mill adjacent to Uniroyal site coming down

The old Uniroyal site at the entrance to Belle Isle may be one step closer to development as the old steel mill bounded by E Jefferson's south alley to Mt. Elliott Park, and between Iron Street and Meldrum is finally coming down, according to workers I talked to at the site yesterday.

A few weeks ago, large equipment was brought in to remove some old machinery for scrap value. The workers I talked to at that time said some legal issues regarding the property had recently been resolved allowing them to start scrapping what was left inside.

Yesterday, construction tape was put around the perimeter, and there is now daily activity inside. According to the two senior managers of the effort I spoke with, they are currently working on prepping the building for demolition. Should take 2-3 months, one of them told me, so it will likely be down by year's end.

He also said he thought the empty block would become a garage for the long awaited development on the Uniroyal site. When I asked him if he knew if Jerome Bettis was still part of the Uniroyal site development team, he said he most definitely was.

Incidentally, the new development at Harbortown is moving along and they just poured foundations for the residential units. Once the steel mill comes down, and presuming Uniroyal gets developed, that would make a solid, mostly contiguous residential area from Harbortown all the way to the MacArthur Bridge.
    Last edited by downtownguy; October-03-14 at 01:50 PM.

Will that site need remediation as well?

I find it amusing that steel mills are decrepit, yet a dangerous building downtown is deemed as wanting to be saved on another thread today. Detroit's history is forged in its industry, not the building that the industry spun off. If this building does not have historic value, then why would a downtown one be more deserving?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-03-14 at 01:58 PM.

They told me that they still didn't know what they would find in the ground underneath, but that it would likely need to be cleaned up.

DP, I'm all for historic preservation, but I just don't see how that would be possible with the buildings on this site. There's nothing particularly attractive about them and considering the shape they're in, you would almost have to rebuild everything from the ground up.

There is one much smaller building on Iron Street on the opposite site of the alley that is apparently owned by the same man. The guy I talked to yesterday said the owner was undecided if he was going to have that demolished as well. It doesn't look like much now, but I could see it possibly being restored.

When you look at it from the air, you can see just how far gone the site is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3431346,-83.008071,221m/data=!3m1!1e3
    Last edited by downtownguy; October-03-14 at 02:18 PM.

Nailhed's fascinating website has a pretty good look at this place from the ground floor.

Not sure how I found it...but I have loved browsing through his travels and living vicariously through his adventures.

I had been wondering about the Uniroyal site. It seemed like they finished cleaning it up quite a while ago. Bing maps seems up to date and shows that they covered the site with grass.

http://binged.it/1Ea5psi

I completely agree with Detroitplanner. Industry is as important to Detroit's past as any building downtown. I always felt the old industrial buildings of Detroit were a sign of it's health. The past showing Detroit's dominance, present Detroit's decline and fall and future and redevelopment of these old factories to show Detroit innovation. Its a shame I love Detroit but we need more creative minds.

Quote Originally Posted by YounginDetroit View Post
    I completely agree with Detroitplanner. Industry is as important to Detroit's past as any building downtown. I always felt the old industrial buildings of Detroit were a sign of it's health. The past showing Detroit's dominance, present Detroit's decline and fall and future and redevelopment of these old factories to show Detroit innovation. Its a shame I love Detroit but we need more creative minds.
    The industry had polutted and contminated most of the riverfront as well as parts of the city. When the going got tough the industry left leaving behind wastelands throughout. I feel that having the Rouge Plant and Uniroyal operate there factories on the riverfront was a colossal disaster

DetroitPlanner, I think that the other bldg downtown is in a context where it adds value to the existing streetscape. It may be in need of repair but not demolition unless, as Ghettopalmetto remarked, an engineer's report proves otherwise. If a large industrial bldg can find another purpose, I am just as happy as you about it, but the historic office context of Detroit needs to be saved, not eliminated from memory.

Willi Guest

The EPA and DEQ can be "bought" anyways by simply screaming it's too costly to
    clean it up right, and whalla, the standards are modified so the site is suddenly clean.
    Economics of who pays for the cleanup , always wins out over health concerns.
    Worst case, pour 1 ft thick concrete slab over the whole thing, nobody remembers a thing.
    Re-purpose the site and in a few years all is well in the world as the nasties can't be seen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The industry had polutted and contminated most of the riverfront as well as parts of the city. When the going got tough the industry left leaving behind wastelands throughout. I feel that having the Rouge Plant and Uniroyal operate there factories on the riverfront was a colossal disaster
    The Metropolitan Building is also polluted. Tear it down!

Look if it was not for water access, there would be no industry and Detroit would have remained a burgh of a much smaller size. 100 years ago shipping was done by ship! There were no interstates, there was rail, but rail was nowhere near as efficient for raw materials as boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    The EPA and DEQ can be "bought" anyways by simply screaming it's too costly to
    clean it up right, and whalla, the standards are modified so the site is suddenly clean.
    Economics of who pays for the cleanup , always wins out over health concerns.
    Worst case, pour 1 ft thick concrete slab over the whole thing, nobody remembers a thing.
    Re-purpose the site and in a few years all is well in the world as the nasties can't be seen anymore.

except that everything, including mercury, will continue to leech its way into the river, as it's been doing for decades

Willi Guest

Filings to the bankruptcy court stated that there are
    over 70 Superfund sites in the city.
    The EPA has said that more than 40,000 contaminated parcels
    have been forfeited to the city for failure to pay taxes.

The waterfront will be unrecognizable by 2020, in a good way, assuming the economy stays stabil. From bridge to bridge it will be an incredible space to walk, ride, play. The projects that are approved and online and also the proposed/rumored are all exciting. The area from the riverfront to Jefferson being redeveloped is going to be such a catalyst to draw people downtown.

Having said that, that entire area has got to be a mess as far as environmental cleanup. Who knows whats in the ground at these potential developments. My worry is that these problems will delay development.

Having a truly vibrant and dynamic waterfront is the key to setting a fire to downtown. Look at any major city on a waterway and their largest draw is typically developments surrounding that area.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Look if it was not for water access, there would be no industry and Detroit would have remained a burgh of a much smaller size. 100 years ago shipping was done by ship! There were no interstates, there was rail, but rail was nowhere near as efficient for raw materials as boat.
    And that's all well and good, but that time has past. I'm all for historic preservation, but only where it makes sense. In modern times, keeping that property vacant or making a working industrial site is not the best possible use for either the property owners or for the city as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The waterfront will be unrecognizable by 2020, in a good way, assuming the economy stays stable. From bridge to bridge it will be an incredible space to walk, ride, play.
    I love the Riverfront and use it 3-4 days per week to jog and bike in the summer. But every time I hear "bridge to bridge", I ask myself, is there a plan to connect the west riverfront to the main riverfront? Riverfront Tower Apartments appear to be in the way. Would be great if there was a way to bridge the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I love the Riverfront and use it 3-4 days per week to jog and bike in the summer. But every time I hear "bridge to bridge", I ask myself, is there a plan to connect the west riverfront to the main riverfront? Riverfront Tower Apartments appear to be in the way. Would be great if there was a way to bridge the gap.
    I agree. I hope there is some sort of plan with the apartments to allow access through there eventually. Going around it would kinda kinda breakup the feel of the continuous access, although not detrimental.

No more so than the RiverWalk has to "detour" around Chene Park and the former St. Aubin Marina at what is now Milliken Park. I would prefer you could stay on river the entire way, but it's a minor thing. Perhaps one day there will be housing on the other side of Atwater and that would just add a little diversity to the walk.

Regarding Riverfront Apartments, I had heard they did not agree to allow access through their complex and the RiverWalk will have to take a similar detour there. That small stretch will probably not see any permanent walk until the fate of JLA and the large parking garage is determined so as to better integrate the final development into the walk.

Biggest issue there is the Riverfront Apartments/Condos next to the Joe Louis Arena. These were built during a time when gated communities were all the rage. The fact that it is not integrated well into its surroundings support that.

Biggest issue there is the Riverfront Apartments/Condos next to the Joe Louis Arena. These were built during a time when gated communities were all the rage. The fact that it is not integrated well into its surroundings support that.
    I doubt, although hopefully I'm wrong, that people who signed up for a gated off world will allow the Riverwalk to extend through their property. So I fear you are right with this Planner.

Now I wonder if there's any chance what so ever that the Riverwalk extends farther west to the Ambassador Bridge and to the parks on the other side of it. I know that the railroad has tracks in place there that are still in use. Plus, you know, that whole Matty M guys bridge thing is in the way and I hardly doubt he's let the city use that land without some sort of kickback. Who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I doubt, although hopefully I'm wrong, that people who signed up for a gated off world will allow the Riverwalk to extend through their property. So I fear you are right with this Planner.

Now I wonder if there's any chance what so ever that the Riverwalk extends farther west to the Ambassador Bridge and to the parks on the other side of it. I know that the railroad has tracks in place there that are still in use. Plus, you know, that whole Matty M guys bridge thing is in the way and I hardly doubt he's let the city use that land without some sort of kickback. Who knows though.
    There is room around it though. It is not the sexiest part of the project. Definitely has a Logan's Run sort of appearance [[Brutalist Architecture, ramps, bridges, not very inspiring).
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3250..._9DRCtDFTQ!2e0

Matty owns less land down there than he wants you to believe.

The waterfront will be unrecognizable by 2020, in a good way, assuming the economy stays stabil. From bridge to bridge it will be an incredible space to walk, ride, play...

People say that, but color me skeptical. To me, all the RiverWalk has going for it 99% of the time is the view of Canada. Otherwise, it's lifeless, anti-urban stretch of concrete and grass fields. Eventually, I'm sure some of the land will be developed into modern "urban" loft, but I'm skeptical how big of a market there is for modern
    pseudo-urban loft. The only selling point for those developments, generally, is the proximity to historic neighborhoods that are actually interesting.

Modern society just isn't up to the task of building good urban environments. That's why preservation is vitally important and historic NYC neighborhoods command insane prices. It provides an urban living style today's architects and planners patently refuse to give us. Of course, they blame the banks for only handing out loans to suburban-style projects that give precedence to the needs of cars. Personally, I think the architects don't put up enough of a fight.

DPlanner the way you so easily you gloss over the difference between a downtown high-rise and a two story industrial facility [[which also happens to likely be contaminated) does nothing to advance your point. For the record I agree that our history is also in our industrial buildings and I'd love to see them repurposed whenever it is safe to do so. I cannot wait to celebrate the re-use of the Packard plant, just as I celebrate the ongoing [[too many to list, really) and contemplated [[Fisher Body 21) re-use of other industrial buildings. But when the building simply isn't well suited for any really appropriate, safe use, and offers no real architectural contribution, and is part of a nondescript part of Detroit history [[this isn't the Piquette plant we're talking about here), then this historic preservationist is not going to shed a tear-- and rightfully so, my friend.

The Park Avenue Building on Grand Circus Park, which I am sure you are alluding to, does more than just encapsulate a moment of Detroit history which, as you suggest, may also be nondescript. It contributes to streetscape, to the intended plan for Grand Circus Park as an urban room, to the sense of place in the very center of the city, and in fact does encompass an important architectural contribution of an important architect who is, in fact, emblematic of a venerable period of this City's development.

Nonsence DP! The minute Henry Ford made his first model T he could have dispatched it to the UP via Wisconsin to get a load of iron ore so he could build the next one. I am sure that would have worked just fine, a every other one kind of thing.

Yet Harbortown, built a few years after Riverfront Apartments, managed to find a way to integrate the RiverWalk into its surroundings. It is one of the most appealing parts of the RiverWalk to me as I can be up close and personal to the marina. When the new townhouses are completed in Harbortown adjacent to the walk, it will also add to the appeal. The marina and the housing at Harbortown are still gated. The walk just cuts a path between the two gates. Riverfront Apartments just didn't want to play along.

DP, if the old steel mill had some architectural appeal, I would be more likely to support your argument, but it carries none of the "charm" that other industrial sites [[Packard, Russell Industrial Center, Fisher Body 21, etc.) have. Add to that, it is, or will be [[assuming the condos get built on the Uniroyal site) surrounded by mostly residential. And a very diverse mix of residential at that, including the Boydell-owned historic lofts [[former industrial building) across the street.

That said, there are still some very attractive industrial buildings along the East RiverWalk. Just east of the beautifully restored mixed-use Stroh River Place [[formerly Parke Davis) industrial buildings is a block ripe for restoration. I was sad to see the Northern Engineering Works building on the corner of Chene and Atwater torn down last summer [[it's still visible in the street view below), but the rest of block remains. They would make a wonderful mix of lofts and storefronts. IMHO, that's the kind of industrial buildings we should be fighting to save.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...f1be3e19c01e2c
    Last edited by downtownguy; October-07-14 at 10:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast