Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Alarm System - Detroit House - Best & Most Cost Effective

People who have alarm systems on houses in Detroit-- I'd like to know which is best, which components are necessary for it to be effective, and of those which is lowest cost. Is a land line phone needed in all cases? I realize they're dependent on DPD response time-- or does DPD even respond to calls from alarm services? Any sense of which seem most effective as a deterrent, police response aside?

This is for a family member with a house in Detroit. The house and individual block are still in good shape [[mostly, but unfortunately not entirely, long-term owner occupied), but some of the houses [[this one!) have been plagued with repeated break-ins while occupants are away at work or wherever. He'd love to be able to rent out the house, but doesn't feel right subjecting a potential tenant to repeated [[or any!) robberies.

Location is a few blocks from where Steve Utash was beaten, though those few blocks are toward the "better" area if that matters-- vicinity 94-Moross-Morang.

Thanks!

Get a Guardian wireless system. If you have one tied to a land line, they simply rip your telephone terminal box off of of the house and you have no protection. I learned the hard way.

If you have the remote with the panic feature, DPD comes right away, i.e. within 10 minutes max.

I agree, you cannot go lightweight in this area. The thief really determined to get at your possessions WILL tear off the term box - they do it all the time. It must be wireless. Also advise tenants to use light timers to go off and on at odd times of the night for example in a front room.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-03-14 at 04:28 AM.

Wireless is absolute. I suggest a few exterior lights that are motion sensitive.

You did make me a bit nostalgic. Lived in that area, owned there for ten years. Nice houses, nice people

Make sure it has good backup batteries. Needs to function in the event of a power outage. Test it frequently [[ask your service how to do this). My service will call me if a sensor malfunctions. This is a plus since system diagnostics are complicated to run yourself. A good system with good monitoring starts around $40 per month.

I realize you're renting it out, but I wouldn't go without video I can remotely access. I want video records of anyone who steals my stuff. Remember the DPD won't respond quickly to any property crimes. For a personal residence I would get a system that allows monitoring with a smartphone.

Make sure entry doors are steel, with a steel frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    People who have alarm systems on houses in Detroit-- I'd like to know which is best, which components are necessary for it to be effective, and of those which is lowest cost. Is a land line phone needed in all cases? I realize they're dependent on DPD response time-- or does DPD even respond to calls from alarm services? Any sense of which seem most effective as a deterrent, police response aside?

This is for a family member with a house in Detroit. The house and individual block are still in good shape [[mostly, but unfortunately not entirely, long-term owner occupied), but some of the houses [[this one!) have been plagued with repeated break-ins while occupants are away at work or wherever. He'd love to be able to rent out the house, but doesn't feel right subjecting a potential tenant to repeated [[or any!) robberies.

Location is a few blocks from where Steve Utash was beaten, though those few blocks are toward the "better" area if that matters-- vicinity 94-Moross-Morang.

Thanks!
    This should give you some guidelines. I would suggest talking to alarm companies, [[though they'll lie just to sell you stuff) and to an actual DPD cop, [[if you can find one that has a clue) about what is needed to convict. As I found out, you can have all the videos and information on the perp you want, and it won't do you a bit of good if you can't get anyone to follow up on the crime. GPW has a valid point, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If it happens too many times, your tenants will walk.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/08/...larm-response/

Honky Tonk, any idea whether non-response is still the policy unless the alarm comes from a human-activated "panic button" accessory? And how can DPD tell exactly where in the system the alarm was activated?

Thanks to all for some very good answers and tips! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Not so sure he can deal with switching out door frames for steel [[doors already are, save for the odd-size back), but everything else sounds very doable.

That immediate neighborhood would be quite comfortable, save for the repeated break-ins. Neighbors seem quite sure who's doing them-- young guys, after electronics and anything they can easily carry and sell. They've destroyed quality of life for so many families there-- how different is that really from taking a life? I often wonder whether putting their photos and basic info, along with their mother's if they still live at home, in local papers and up on the web. Probably I'm kidding myself-- can't really imagine they have any shame.

Neighbors there tell me to limit my sympathy, that these kids are just after anything they can convert to cash to fill a gas tank, and/or electronics or cash they can use to impress girls. :-[[

Willi Guest

Steel doors, with solid metal frame, and reduce windows when possible to block glass.
    Take a look at 3M Security Film for glass windows
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._Window_Films/
    An alarm is only good to tell you someone was already there.
    Video face recognition is a joke, it fails more than you might believe, no identification will happen.
    Last edited by Willi; October-04-14 at 12:49 AM.

Thirteen Pitbulls...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Thirteen Pitbulls...
    Just like Colt 45, "works everytime".....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Thirteen Pitbulls...
    For a very small crib.....42 pitbulls for an average size bungalow.

Honky Tonk, any idea whether non-response is still the policy unless the alarm comes from a human-activated "panic button" accessory? And how can DPD tell exactly where in the system the alarm was activated?

Thanks to all for some very good answers and tips! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Not so sure he can deal with switching out door frames for steel [[doors already are, save for the odd-size back), but everything else sounds very doable.

That immediate neighborhood would be quite comfortable, save for the repeated break-ins. Neighbors seem quite sure who's doing them-- young guys, after electronics and anything they can easily carry and sell. They've destroyed quality of life for so many families there-- how different is that really from taking a life? I often wonder whether putting their photos and basic info, along with their mother's if they still live at home, in local papers and up on the web. Probably I'm kidding myself-- can't really imagine they have any shame.

Neighbors there tell me to limit my sympathy, that these kids are just after anything they can convert to cash to fill a gas tank, :and/or electronics or cash they can use to impress girls. :-[[
    I don't know what the DPD's "official" policy is. I think it depends who's on patrol, workload, and what kind on mood they're in. The few times I've called, the dispatcher didn't seem interested unless someone was dead and film crews were already there. I can tell you I did have one serious situation and after getting the runaround, I made it a point to take it to Dug-in and Chief Craig's list. It's been a year, and it's never been addressed. Looks like SSDD to me. I wish your friends good luck in their endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just like Colt 45, "works everytime".....

How does a six pack of beer repel a couple of robbers?

Could we maybe get back to Detroit Yes. True I have a wireless alarm. Maybe you should all move to the 7th precinct. Our police are amazingly responsive. Crime exists everywhere. As a community, we need to be pro active, work with police, then they work with you.

That Great Guy Guest

A small property tax for Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties for emergency alarms could work to bring alarms to everyone, so DPD would respond within 10 minutes. We now have the technology to do this.

Government control is most essential to make the payments for essential services fare. New technologies are replacing older ones and today there is no reason why Detroit residents should have any less access to all basic services than anyone else regardless of income or ability to pay.

Every home should now have an alarm because of NEW smart technologies.

But TGG, I though the issue was the cost of police response to alarms, not the alarms themselves. No matter how expensive or sophisticated the alarm system, and what percentage of households have them or not, doesn't matter if the alarms go off and no one responds.

How would new technology lessen law enforcement's cost to respond to an alarm?

That Great Guy Guest

But TGG, I though the issue was the cost of police response to alarms, not the alarms themselves. No matter how expensive or sophisticated the alarm system, and what percentage of households have them or not, doesn't matter if the alarms go off and no one responds.

How would new technology lessen law enforcement's cost to respond to an alarm?
    The use of GPS and telling the difference between a legitimate call or not are just some examples. Everyone can now be protected and should. For example, if a person falls in their home instantly they can get help. Look at how cameras are catching criminals A pix of someone buying an ax at home depot has been possible for a long time but now we are more advanced.

That Great Guy Guest

A combination property tax for internet and alarms would work. Government control using SMART technology for protecting and moving people and goods is best for everyone with oversight from the public and the right to vote.

DPD will not respond to an unverified alarm company report for an activated burglar alarm.

Guardian Alarm has a plan for Detroit customers where they send someone out to the property to investigate activated burglar alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    A small property tax for Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties for emergency alarms could work to bring alarms to everyone, so DPD would respond within 10 minutes. We now have the technology to do this.

Government control is most essential to make the payments for essential services fare. New technologies are replacing older ones and today there is no reason why Detroit residents should have any less access to all basic services than anyone else regardless of income or ability to pay.

Every home should now have an alarm because of NEW smart technologies.
    Everyone can already have an alarm. For a quarter the cost of cable you can get a basic monitored alarm. The problem is having enough responders to cover them all.

Willi Guest

For the love of Taxes - jeeeesh - The hailed, high-tech Macomb County communications center,
    a $13.5 million facility known as COMTEC, remains largely vacant.

HackTheWack couldn't find his way out of a paper bag.
    Even if they have the TECH and tons-o-money , the screwup in politics will ruin it for residents.
    Quote -
    “We ran into some problems with the fiber installation for the computers and software,”
    said Vicki Wolber, director of emergency management for the county.
    “We can’t use some of the DTE [[electrical) poles and so the installation process is longer than expected.”

Attachment 24545

You want a bankrupt city to create TECH crime enforcement ....ha aha ha ha ha...that's funny
    Last edited by Willi; October-04-14 at 01:31 PM.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    For the love of Taxes - jeeeesh - The hailed, high-tech Macomb County communications center,
    a $13.5 million facility known as COMTEC, remains largely vacant.

HackTheWack couldn't find his way out of a paper bag.
    Even if they have the TECH and tons-o-money , the screwup in politics will ruin it for residents.
    Quote -
    “We ran into some problems with the fiber installation for the computers and software,”
    said Vicki Wolber, director of emergency management for the county.
    “We can’t use some of the DTE [[electrical) poles and so the installation process is longer than expected.”

Attachment 24545

You want a bankrupt city to create TECH crime enforcement ....ha aha ha ha ha...that's funny
    YES, YES, YES

And YES to a Sales tax for all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties and higher property taxes for complete regional control of all essential services

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    YES, YES, YES

And YES to a Sales tax for all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties and higher property taxes for complete regional control of all essential services
    You advocate for higher property taxes for tri-county residents constantly on this blog. You must live in a rental apartment. If you owned your own home you would not be so quick to wish for higher taxes.

Property taxes should NOT be raised in order to pay for things like cable TV, internet and alarm systems for Detroit residents. Detroit sucks up enough money from the county and state as it is.

If you want these things find a way to pay for them yourself or do without. They are not life necessities. Other people should not have to foot the bill for you to sit around your apartment watching re-runs of Gilligan's Island, playing around on Detroit Yes or cyber-dreaming about buses online.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    You advocate for higher property taxes for tri-county residents constantly on this blog. You must live in a rental apartment. If you owned your own home you would not be so quick to wish for higher taxes.

Property taxes should NOT be raised in order to pay for things like cable TV, internet and alarm systems for Detroit residents. Detroit sucks up enough money from the county and state as it is.

If you want these things find a way to pay for them yourself or do without. They are not life necessities. Other people should not have to foot the bill for you to sit around your apartment watching re-runs of Gilligan's Island, playing around on Detroit Yes or cyber-dreaming about buses online.
    There are folks out there who are very proficient and prolific at spending other peoples money, particularly those that belly up to the public trough.

Before you spend money on an alarm get your neighbors to turn their porch lights on all night. And I don't mean motion detector lights. They need to be on all night. You would be amazed how people resist this simple step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast