Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Police Department gets 8% pay raise, hires 150 new officers as well

Should see a boost in the much needed public safety. detroit moving forward

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...l#incart_river

Well this is certainly good news

Do new hires get any kind of a pension when they retire? $30K seems really low if there's not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Do new hires get any kind of a pension when they retire? $30K seems really low if there's not a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    No.

I believe all new and future hires will receive a 401K.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-02-14 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    No.

I believe all new and future hires will receive a 401K.
    I'm a little conservative, and I don't remember the last time I said this, but damn, they need to be paid more.

the retirement policy reforms set by Kevin Orr will likely be the standard now for all new hires.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the retirement policy reforms set by Kevin Orr will likely be the standard now for all new hires.
    I'm all for getting rid of pensions, but part of getting rid of them is having a solid 401K program and decent pay. 30K isn't enough for what these men and women are being asked to do. Even as a starting wage.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm a little conservative, and I don't remember the last time I said this, but damn, they need to be paid more.
    Couldn't agree more.

I made $35K as an intern with an automotive supplier during college. I think that getting shot at on the daily would warrent more than $30K a year. Who the hell would even wanna sign up for that job?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

I made $35K as an intern with an automotive supplier during college. I think that getting shot at on the daily would warrent more than $30K a year. Who the hell would even wanna sign up for that job?
    In a town like Detroit with such a high unemployment rate and relatively low attainment rates for education, everybody and their momma...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In a town like Detroit with such a high unemployment rate and relatively low attainment rates for education, everybody and their momma...
    Good call.... Since it's virtually impossible to get in the Big 3 now right out of high school, public service jobs are about the only thing left for someone with just a high school diploma. And to piggyback on others, $30 grand is peanuts for a police officer as a starting salary. That has to be one of the lowest if not the lowest starting salary for a police officer in a major city.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-02-14 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Good call.... Since it's virtually impossible to get in the Big 3 now right out of high school, public service jobs are about the only thing left for someone with just a high school diploma.
    Not just any public service jobs either, mostly just emergency response jobs...

Does anyone know if DPD is still not requiring a college degree for application? If I recall correctly [[and I very well may be wrong, please send some knowledge my way if so), they were the only major department in SE MI that didn't require a college degree.

thoro Guest

I would like to know just how much these people actually make. What does it say on their w2 form at the end of the year. Not just the starting rookie pay, but that of someone with 2 years on the force. How much overtime is there, first responder pay and etc. These articles are union propaganda.
    In the Seattle area, there are links in the newspaper with the ACTUAL pay of state, county and city employees.

No doubt that we'd like to see police paid more, but I'd like to see all city workers paid well.

Today's DPD is an entry-level job for someone who wants to make a career in public safety. I'll be a good DPD officer after a couple years is a good catch for a lot of jobs -- jobs that will pay better.

Unfortunately, Detroit can't afford to lead the pack on wages right now. We spent our money elsewhere, and now we have to do the best we can with what we have.

Actually just heard as well

​Detroit Fire Department is receiving a 7.5% increase in pay immediately, with it increasing to 15% over the next 5 years

The two major public safety departments seeing some major boosts today. Great news.

"The city of Detroit has reached a contract agreement with its police union that will give officers a 15.5 percent pay raise over five years.

The Detroit Police Officers Association signed the contract Wednesday with Mayor Mike Duggan. Officers will get an 8 percent raise up front and 2.5 percent increases for each of the following four years. The deal also gives $6 million in bonuses to all unionized public safety workers.

The Detroit Police Department will be allowed to hire retired officers for nonpatrol jobs. About 150 officers will move from desk duty to patrols.

The city said the wage increases come from savings in the department's operations.

DPOA President Mark Diaz said he has been working on the contract since September 2013. The deal comes after years of wage cuts for all city employees."

Details from Crain's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...The city said the wage increases come from savings in the department's operations. ....
    That is an amazing statement. Increases in operational efficiency means more money for wages. !

So at least for now this averts any theoretical public safety strikes for the next couple of years? Another notch on Duggan's reelection belt? [[if he runs again)..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So at least for now this averts any theoretical public safety strikes for the next couple of years? Another notch on Duggan's reelection belt? [[if he runs again)..
    Duggan's next run will be state of national. You think this man doesn't have aspirations? I think he's smart enough to realize that by your second term, you're less popular -- so do a decent job -- and move up!