Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fisher mansion in Palmer Woods to be retreat for addicts

Early excitement over a $1.6-million house sale in Detroit has given way to concerns among neighbors following revelations that the out-of-town buyer intends to make his mansion a "spiritual retreat" for addiction treatment patients.

The 15-bedroom Alfred J. Fisher mansion in historic Palmer Woods, 1771 Balmoral Drive, sold on Aug. 22, fetching the highest price in recent memory for a Detroit house that was still used as a primary residence.

The buyer — Brad Lamm, founder and director of the Breathe Life Healing Centers in New York and Los Angeles — initially chose to be anonymous, but confirmed his identity Monday to the Detroit News and revealed plans for using the 1926 mansion as part of his addiction treatment business.

In a statement to the Free Press on Tuesday, a representative for Breathe Life Healing Centers said the Fisher mansion is being renovated to serve as both the company's newest spiritual retreat center and Lamm's primary residence. "Each [[center) offers a welcoming atmosphere coupled with amenities and grounds designed to encourage serenity and self-reflection," the statement read.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ment/16509845/

Unfortunately, giant homes are not really marketable as homes in places like Palmer Woods, because the people interested in such homes don't really have Detroit city proper neighborhoods on their radar screen.

That said, aren't there zoning codes in Detroit? Wouldn't a drug treatment center be a clear violation of residential zoning? And wouldn't the buyer agent be obligated to inform buyer of zoning?

My wife and I took a drive through the neighborhood a few weeks ago after Arts, Beats, and Eats. What an incredibly collection of architecturally significant and beautiful homes. I almost had her convinced at looking to purchase one of the few homes up for sale in the subdivision before I drove a mile and a half down Woodward. That basically ended the conversation...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Unfortunately, giant homes are not really marketable as homes in places like Palmer Woods, because the people interested in such homes don't really have Detroit city proper neighborhoods on their radar screen.

That said, aren't there zoning codes in Detroit? Wouldn't a drug treatment center be a clear violation of residential zoning? And wouldn't the buyer agent be obligated to inform buyer of zoning?
    I know of a facility like this over off 7mile, the neighborhood is pretty tore up around it so I don't think it was an issue in this case.

Half way houses are everywhere, even in the suburbs. Many people just don't realize it. Growing up in Troy, there were at least 3 or 4 that we knew of, but never any issues. Staff would usually cut off any problems very, very early from what the neighbors said. A responsibly run treatment/halfway house isn't a threat to the neighborhood at all, the only people who worry about it and ring their hands for days are the same people who think a puff of marijuana will turn you into a rapist murderer who is addicted to crack.

Also if you plug in the center's name into Google, you will see this isn't "John's Drug Addiction Center", hell it's not even a middle of the road addiction treatment center. Their two other locations are in Hollywood and Manhattan. I would imagine these people have their business in order and there will never be any issues.

The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination on housing based on a disability and considers that people recovering from substance abuse are considered to have a disability. Local zoning ordinances can't preempt Federal fair-housing regulations. So it is not legal for a community to try to zone out such places. Having said that, there are restrictions on what kind of activities can take place within a residentially-zoned area, but such things as medical treatment are not among them. [[For instance, it would be unreasonable to have a law which would prevent your grandma from having her doctor visit her at home.)

Yes, would this not be considered a 'business' entity? What is the zoning specs for such?

A lot of the homes on East Grand Boulevard near Belle Isle, while not as prestigious as Palmer Park, have been converted into "homes" of one sort or another. Not sure if that portion of EGB is zoned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yes, would this not be considered a 'business' entity? What is the zoning specs for such?
    No. It doesn't matter what you write in your zoning law. Here's the breakdown:

1. People are going to be living in this place during their treatment. Places where people live are residential per se.
    2. The only activity going on that isn't ordinary residential activity is that medical services are provided. See what I wrote earlier about the doctor visiting your grandma.

The people have to pay to stay there, but that's true of rentals everywhere. The Fair Housing law as I mentioned above doesn't allow you to discriminate against who can live somewhere based on a disability, and recovering abusers are considered to be disabled, thus you can't discriminate against them. Anyone anywhere is allowed to receive medical care in their home.

There have been lots of court cases over the years about this sort of thing, and the courts always come down on the same side: the Federal law said you can't discriminate, so if you use zoning ordinance [[or anything else) to try to prevent what Federal law explicitly allows, you lose.

The guy is a celebrity rehab guy who writes books and goes on Dr. Oz and stuff, and this will be part of his luxury rehab spa chain. It might actually turn out to be good PR for the neighborhood and the city. It also says it will be the founder guy's primary residence, so the benefits of that will still continue [[and hopefully he actually spends a lot of time there).

Thanks, that make sense. For example there is a group home on my block. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    No. It doesn't matter what you write in your zoning law. Here's the breakdown...

Seems like a decent place to go to dry out for a few days. I wonder how much it costs per night? I hope they are open after my next bender. That's likely to be in the next month when the Tigers either lose or win in the WS.

The people have to pay to stay there, but that's true of rentals everywhere. The Fair Housing law as I mentioned above doesn't allow you to discriminate against who can live somewhere based on a disability, and recovering abusers are considered to be disabled, thus you can't discriminate against them.
    So could I apply to become a "tenant" and then sue if I am denied if it was discovered that I do not have a disability?

The way I understand it, some streets are zoned for single-family residences only. This might not be the case in Palmer Woods, since some of those properties already include servants' quarters, guest houses, and such. But in many regular, middle-class neighborhoods, you can't buy a large house and chop it up into rental units unless the area is zoned for multi-family residences. I am also not sure if a retreat for addicts counts as a residence or a medical business. I suppose it would be akin to a nursing home? But you can't just put a nursing home on any residential street, either.

I would think there would be a difference between owning a home and "letting" your family, servants, whatever, live @ there, and buying a house, in an area deemed residential, with the expressed purpose of chopping it up into rental units, and charging people to live there. That's where I think the legal battle is. Not denying someone the right to live in that neighborhood, but turning a residential house into a commercial venture.

Mansions for stoner's, great....you dudes who lived at the Gar Wood mansion need to pipe in....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Mansions for stoner's, great....you dudes who lived at the Gar Wood mansion need to pipe in....
    It's a stoner's basic human right to live in a mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I would think there would be a difference between owning a home and "letting" your family, servants, whatever, live @ there, and buying a house, in an area deemed residential, with the expressed purpose of chopping it up into rental units, and charging people to live there. That's where I think the legal battle is. Not denying someone the right to live in that neighborhood, but turning a residential house into a commercial venture.
    It's not likely to be chopped up into rental units, as you put it. The physical structure of homes used as such is typically only slightly modified, if at all. And if you own a home and want to rent a room to someone, you can do that. This isn't any different; the only difference is that the tenants all have a particular disability [[as the government identifies the condition).

I'm amazed how many people are posting "yeah, Federal law but this must be different" kinds of things. It's really simple: this is a kind of use of residential property that communities may not discriminate against.

Under current zoning, the mansion can't be used as a retreat. Though that's not to say that the owners could ask for a zoning change or special exemption, however the Palmer Woods neighborhood association opposes the plan.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ning/18274447/

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Big difference between stoners and addicts friend.

It's not likely to be chopped up into rental units, as you put it. The physical structure of homes used as such is typically only slightly modified, if at all. And if you own a home and want to rent a room to someone, you can do that. This isn't any different; the only difference is that the tenants all have a particular disability [[as the government identifies the condition).

I'm amazed how many people are posting "yeah, Federal law but this must be different" kinds of things. It's really simple: this is a kind of use of residential property that communities may not discriminate against.
    Sorry PS, but I disagree. If they're receiving subsidies, Federal or not, to care for people going through rehab, I'm pretty sure that constitutes "a business", non-profit or not. I have no idea how many people will be living there @ once, but I don't think they'll put half a dozen beds in one open room. Maybe, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sorry PS, but I disagree. If they're receiving subsidies, Federal or not, to care for people going through rehab, I'm pretty sure that constitutes "a business", non-profit or not. I have no idea how many people will be living there @ once, but I don't think they'll put half a dozen beds in one open room. Maybe, who knows.
    Actually, while I think that there is a zoning problem with operating a business in an R1 zone, there is another problem, which is that R1 zoning doesn't actually allow you to operate a rooming house, which is what this sounds like from an occupancy point of view, or to rent out rooms at all.

There is an exemption for "religious residential facilities" but this doesn't really sound like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    A lot of the homes on East Grand Boulevard near Belle Isle, while not as prestigious as Palmer Park, have been converted into "homes" of one sort or another. Not sure if that portion of EGB is zoned for it.
    And seeing that happen to those East Grand Boulevard houses, and the cutting up of most houses in Brush Park into small cheap apartments, was what gave the impetus for the founding of the Indian Village Association. The IVA has made sure over the years that the Village's single family residential zoning remained in place and was enforced.

I assume that Palmer Woods has similar zoning and a similar neighborhood organization. Despite what professorscott says, Indian Village has successfully fought off these kinds of group homes on the basis that they violate the area's zoning. Unless this is going to be a very high-end facility, I would bet that Plamer Woods will try to do the same. The proliferation of drug treatment centers, underfunded and undersupervised group homes for the mentally ill, and halfway houses for recently released prisoners were a big part of the final ruination of the Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And seeing that happen to those East Grand Boulevard houses, and the cutting up of most houses in Brush Park into small cheap apartments, was what gave the impetus for the founding of the Indian Village Association. The IVA has made sure over the years that the Village's single family residential zoning remained in place and was enforced.

I assume that Palmer Woods has similar zoning and a similar neighborhood organization. Despite what professorscott says, Indian Village has successfully fought off these kinds of group homes on the basis that they violate the area's zoning. Unless this is going to be a very high-end facility, I would bet that Plamer Woods will try to do the same. The proliferation of drug treatment centers, underfunded and undersupervised group homes for the mentally ill, and halfway houses for recently released prisoners were a big part of the final ruination of the Boulevard
    However there is that one in IV. Everyone deserves a second chance, I understand that. What I don't understand is why it has to be in a viable neighborhood, struggling to hold it's own. Why can't they do this @ a house on the Boulevard?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-02-14 at 03:10 PM.

Interesting [[and very good) news on the Fisher Mansion.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...eader_comments

Imagine.......an auto executive actually living in Detroit!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; September-16-15 at 11:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast