Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Greenfield Village question

It was about 1980, and my sister and I were taking a children's pottery class in a mill building with a waterwheel. We took the class twice because we enjoyed it so much. At one point, we got into the basement and saw an underground tunnel with old-fashioned light bulbs strung down it. It was quite a surprise to us! The instructor told us that it led all the way to the Martha Mary Chapel, and it came up behind the pulpit.

Now, as I look back on childhood, I know I've been wrong about such things, and it may be that I was wrong about that. But I've been wondering about it, especially given a posting I found here alleging that, "underneath Greenfield Village is a honeycomb of passageways."

Anyway, it would be nice to know where that mill building is, if it still stands. I haven't been able to find it when I've gone back as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    ... a mill building with a waterwheel....

Anyway, it would be nice to know where that mill building is, if it still stands. I haven't been able to find it when I've gone back as an adult.
    This might be the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It was about 1980, and my sister and I were taking a children's pottery class in a mill building with a waterwheel. We took the class twice because we enjoyed it so much. At one point, we got into the basement and saw an underground tunnel with old-fashioned light bulbs strung down it. It was quite a surprise to us! The instructor told us that it led all the way to the Martha Mary Chapel, and it came up behind the pulpit.

Now, as I look back on childhood, I know I've been wrong about such things, and it may be that I was wrong about that. But I've been wondering about it, especially given a posting I found here alleging that, "underneath Greenfield Village is a honeycomb of passageways."

I can't help you, but I do know what you're talking about, I remember the waterwheel building and the pottery classes. I also remember a "pub", nearby, where beer was served in ceramic mugs, that were outcasts from the pottery place you're talking about. Henry Ford LOVED tunnels. Almost every building he had a hand in had them. Highland Park, the Product Development Center, the Office complex. Most are still in existence and used today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I wonder. That would put it quite far away from the chapel. Then again, that could easily be incorrect as well ...

I think at some point they shuffled some buildings around at GF so all the craft buildings are together now.

http://www.thehenryford.org/village/...districts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I think at some point they shuffled some buildings around at GF so all the craft buildings are together now.

http://www.thehenryford.org/village/...districts.aspx
    Yes, Pam! I figured something like that had happened! Now I need archival materials for this research ...

The building in question is located behind the Chapel between it and taste of history, close to the railroad tracks and the water. If you look at Bing maps in bird's eye view you should see it. I remember doing a class in their during discovery camp back in the 80s.

Yep, it's the old stone mill. Never been moved. The mill in the aerial photo is the gristmill, which was moved and the waterwheel added when the Village got infrastructure improvements. The stone mill did have the pottery glasses for Summer Camp for a number of years, but it got a makeover and became the residence for then HFM president Harold Skramstad and his wife. Bad mold issues forced them out and the building is not used. The tunnel to the Chapel was blocked off when the mill was converted to a residence.

I can remember a stone building like that on the rear of the grounds. It could be this one, or it may have been removed for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    Yep, it's the old stone mill. Never been moved. The mill in the aerial photo is the gristmill, which was moved and the waterwheel added when the Village got infrastructure improvements. The stone mill did have the pottery glasses for Summer Camp for a number of years, but it got a makeover and became the residence for then HFM president Harold Skramstad and his wife. Bad mold issues forced them out and the building is not used. The tunnel to the Chapel was blocked off when the mill was converted to a residence.
    Thank you, Guideboat. Your story confirms one of the spookiest memories of my childhood. And now I know it really happened. Amazing.

I remember Harold Skramstad well. I went to school with his daughter and met him several times.