Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Ford Field

Default Ford Field

I really don't like domed indoor football but I love Ford Field. It's a real paradox, To me, the seating is pretty comfortable, sight lines are great, the place is loud as hell and the atmosphere is absolutely terrific. Of course the team itself has left a lot to be desired over the last 5 or 6 decades but that's besides the point. Anybody share my opinions or feel differently?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I really don't like domed indoor football but I love Ford Field. It's a real paradox, To me, the seating is pretty comfortable, sight lines are great, the place is loud as hell and the atmosphere is absolutely terrific. Of course the team itself has left a lot to be desired over the last 5 or 6 decades but that's besides the point. Anybody share my opinions or feel differently?
    Ford Field is definitely my favorite, out of the one NFL stadiums I've been to.

I admittedly don't get into to many NFL football stadiums. I'm an ice-hockey guy and the inside conditions are much different.

The ONE TIME I was inside the stadium, it seemed to be quite dim. It was a pre-season game and I expected the lights to brighten as the starting time neared. They never did.

Ice rinks by virtue of their smaller size and white reflective ice, are much brighter.

Now, I was also at a rare evening game, so maybe its brighter with some additional natural sunlight.

TUS

I don't like it. Far too few seats on the sides. End/corner seats are not where you want to be for football and the slope is far too gradual.

I think Ford Field is nice, but also pretty bland. Outside the one great concourse on the south side of the stadium, the rest is incredibly sterile. I went to Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis a few years ago and it was utterly fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I think Ford Field is nice, but also pretty bland. Outside the one great concourse on the south side of the stadium, the rest is incredibly sterile. I went to Lucas Oil Field in Indianapolis a few years ago and it was utterly fantastic.
    Agreed. It's "nice" in the sense it's new. But I find it quite sterile as well. I'd have to say the best stadium currently in the NFL is the Seattle Seahawks venue. I know we are spoiled with having the domed football stadiums for the Lions currently and previously, but there is something so much better about watching a game outside. I guess that's why so many fans make the pilgrimage to Soldier Field or Lambo Field to see a game in the snow or rain. Football was made to be played in the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I guess that's why so many fans make the pilgrimage to Soldier Field or Lambo Field to see a game in the snow or rain. Football was made to be played in the elements.
    I would have to disagree with that. Ever see a game in the last week in Cleveland? BRUTAL!

It's definitely a little bland. That being said, I do appreciate the fact they incorporated the old Hudson warehouse into the design. You cant see a ton of the old building but it's still a cool story. I love Petco in San Deigo because of that warehouse they used in left field.You can hit a ball into the open warehouse windows, coolest touch in a MLB stadium. IMO

A retractable roof at FF would have been sweet but probably unnecessary.

I also like the fact that Comerica and Ford share a street. Feels like a sports city should...

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't like it. Far too few seats on the sides. End/corner seats are not where you want to be for football and the slope is far too gradual.
    Excellent point.