Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Beech Daly

Default Beech Daly

Just a quick question...how did Beech Daly Rd. get its name?

According to my sources, it is an amalgam of Jim Daly and Beech Road...his brother John got the whole name on his road...about a mile half mile west.

I suspect they were developers with tiny imaginations and large egos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I suspect they were developers with tiny imaginations and large egos.
    That sounds more like politicians, Gannon.

Beech was one of the absorbed towns. I think it was along the railroad where the Redford PO is now.

Bearinabox Guest

I guess Jim Daly's influence, whatever its nature, didn't extend into Southfield.

Beech Daly into Beech Road in Oakland County sure does cross an amazing number of golf courses.

I wondered myself about Beech Daly rd. I wish I could remember the whole Daly brothers story.Another question. Is Daly Burger named from their old Drive Inn on Beech Daly?

check out this link:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=n65...q=daly&f=false

Seems a Wm Daly came from Ireland in the late 1830's, first to Detroit, then Chicago, than back to Detroit and eventually Dearborn. He was a farmer, Highway Commissioner, Justice of the Peace and all around active citizen. He married a sweet Irish lass named Mary and had a number of children, two of which were named John and Jim.

More research required, but I'll bet ya that this is the family.

That is the same family. Jim and John Daly were a couple of William Daly's grandsons [[and my Greatgrandfather's uncles). The Daly's had farms in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I wondered myself about Beech Daly rd. I wish I could remember the whole Daly brothers story.Another question. Is Daly Burger named from their old Drive Inn on Beech Daly?
    Yes. Bill Ihlenfeldt opened his first drive-in restaurant in 1948, located on what was then Jim Daly Road, it was called Bill's Drive In. Shortly thereafter, he renamed it Daly Drive In, after it's street location. The street was later renamed Beech Daly.

The original Detroit & Howell Railroad [[later merged into the Pere Marquette) named its station heading west from Detroit to Plymouth) after trees [[Oak, Beech, Elm, etc). I will have to look it up, but can't find my book right now. Elm was a mile west of Beech. Oak was near Oak Yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The original Detroit & Howell Railroad [[later merged into the Pere Marquette) named its station heading west from Detroit to Plymouth) after trees [[Oak, Beech, Elm, etc). I will have to look it up, but can't find my book right now. Elm was a mile west of Beech. Oak was near Oak Yard.
    the link below is a plat map of Livonia township circa 1936, it shows Elm on Middlebelt Road. So, who -or what- was Middlebelt?

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/...1936/Michigan/

Here is a 1904 map of Redford Township showing the little settlement of Beech Station on the lower left, where what is now Beech Daly crosses the railroad tracks between present-day Plymouth and Schoolcraft. The Redford post office is still located there, but I don't think there's any actual remnant of this town left.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty...image&size=100
    [[go to top of map to enlarge)

And here is a map of Dearborn Township from the same atlas showing a bunch of Daly family land around Michigan, Beech Daly, and John Daly.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/micounty...image&size=100

The Pere Marquette Detroit line ran along the half-section line between Plymouth Road and Schoolcraft. If Fullerton had continued west indefinitely, the line would have run along Fullerton.

Oak Station [[aka Redford Junction) was at Mile Post [[MP) 13.1 and was just west of the intersection of Evergreen and Fullerton.

Birrell Station [[MP 15.1) was just west of Telegraph Road. Koenig Station [[MP 15.3 was about 350 yards west of Birrell.

Beech Station [[MP 15.9) was just east of Beech-Daly Road.

Norton Station [[MP 16.9) was just east of Inkster Road.

Elm Station [[MP 18.0) was right at the intersection of Middlebelt.

Stark Station [[aka Livonia) [[MP 20.3) was a quarter mile west of Farmington Road

Plymouth Station was MP 24.5 and Plymouth Junction was 24.6 [[main Pere Marquette line from Toledo to Ludington).

Great thread. Many thanks to all.