Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nolan Finley vs. Tea Party GOP

We all knew this day was coming, but it is still pretty surprising how fast it came. At some point pragmatic problem solving needs to reign over ideological purity. And it is necessary on both the extreme right and left. Between City Council approving the water deal and now this column in today's Detroit News, hopefully this is the beginning of being able to tackle the hard stuff in years to come.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...nley/16278905/

We'd be wise to elect moderates regardless of your political philosophy.

Nolan:
    Imposing the Hastert rule would mimic how Democrat Reid runs the U.S. Senate, which has managed to pass no meaningful legislation in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    We'd be wise to elect moderates regardless of your political philosophy.

Nolan:
    unfortunately, Republican moderates or virtually extinct. And to the extent not, they cannot survive a primary

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    unfortunately, Republican moderates are virtually extinct. And to the extent not, they cannot survive a primary
    Today, you are right. Tomorrow maybe not. Sometimes tomorrow comes fast, when you're not watching.

I had a lot of conservative tendencies, but the gridlock in Washington D.C. has made it so I won't vote for a federal-level republican for the foreseeable future. I usually lean right within Michigan, but if they want to bring the same gridlock politics to Lansing, then I'll just start voting dem on a state level too.

I won't be voting for any incumbents in Rochester Hills over charter violations when it came to an oil and gas recovery contract. Many of those folks in Rochester Hills have state or nation level republican ambitions.

I'm very tired of Tea Party politics where the #1 goal isn't moving the country forward, but to make Obama look bad. It's hurting our country.

The TP candidates will likely win for the state legislature. Snyder will likely be reelected.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I had a lot of conservative tendencies, but the gridlock in Washington D.C. has made it so I won't vote for a federal-level republican for the foreseeable future. I usually lean right within Michigan, but if they want to bring the same gridlock politics to Lansing, then I'll just start voting dem on a state level too.

I won't be voting for any incumbents in Rochester Hills over charter violations when it came to an oil and gas recovery contract. Many of those folks in Rochester Hills have state or nation level republican ambitions.

I'm very tired of Tea Party politics where the #1 goal isn't moving the country forward, but to make Obama look bad. It's hurting our country.
    Second this, although I don't see that the lockstep left is much better. They're jealous of the TP and wish they could do as well in pushing their initiatives, too.

If Nolan is truly serious about taking on the extremist wing of the Republican Party, he will not endorse David Trott for the Congressional 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If Nolan is truly serious about taking on the extremist wing of the Republican Party, he will not endorse David Trott for the Congressional 11th.
    Yup. lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas...etc. If Nolan doesn't what Teabaggers in office, stop endorsing the Party that can't win without placating them. Seems like he might be waking up to that problem.

Bailey, I think you've taken the point too far and are exhibiting your progressive bias in an issue that will require the Editor of the Detroit News to possibly make an existential decision.

the Tea Party movement was not started by the News, and there has never been a Tea Party bent to the editorial positions taken by The News.

The News leans center-right, the Freep tilts center-left, the Tea Party teeters on the edge of extremism.

The TEA partiers energized the big GOP gains in Michigan and across the country in the 2010 election while the party of Obama slept through. Republicans found themselves in control of all branches of government in state and promptly cemented it by gerrymandering the house districts.

Then the establishment Republicans woke up with the fleas. It reminds of when the establishment Republicans pandered to the Christian religious right in the 70's and got stuck with ever more extremist candidates at the primary level. Fueled by non-stop Obama-hater rhetoric and codespeak by rightwing radio and cable-heads this meme, which has been floating around the internet, sort of portrays the current the Republican primary-voting majority and the conundrum the party faces.

Name:  hater.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  14.1 KB
    I can hear the big bucks GOP players whining, "Why can't they^ just vote for us then shut up?"

Fine. Except the topic was about the editor of the Detroit News.

you want to really play the flea bag game? The obvious example is the City of Detroit. A bankrupt, structurally dysfunctional, crime ridden Democratic herpes outbreak.

you seriously want to point to an extremist wing as being the totem for an entire political party?

Sure, I'll play all day long Lowell once you concede that the myriad of problems south of 8 Mile is owned by the political Party that has controlled it for 50+ years.

If you think that is an unreasonable position, you might want to consider walking back from your inflammatory inferred accusations that people who don't vote like you are somehow crazy racists who sport sweatshirts imported from looneyville.

Bailey, I think you've taken the point too far and are exhibiting your progressive bias in an issue that will require the Editor of the Detroit News to possibly make an existential decision.
    I think it exposes either journalistic malpractice or willful partisan hackery to endorse the slate of right wing nutters that Nolan has..especially most recently during the Obama years... and only NOW start writing editorials about a lack of a third/center right option.

The hard right teabaggers are made up out of whole cloth that editors like Nolan wove for them. To now disavow their creation is pretty fucking funny.
    Last edited by bailey; September-29-14 at 12:44 PM.

Obama hating is a core requirement of the Republican Party. At a national level they'll do ANYTHING possible to make him look bad, even if it means hurting the country.

Now that they've made him such a bad-thing, they try to attach their political opponents to him. Take a look at the governors race, their are tons of commercials running just trying to find reasons to say Schauer and Obama in the same sentence.

Most republican voters are probably much closer to the center than they are to the right extreme, but the right extreme is who gets to pick the primary winners.

For me the choice was simple, stop voting for right-wingers.
    Last edited by Scottathew; September-29-14 at 12:50 PM.

Republicans carping about Mr. Obama is not too dissimilar than Democrats going after Mr. Bush. Picking on the opposition's leader is common. Not uncommon. It is to be expected.

if you think it is of a different tone it may be due to being sensitive to minor slights.

Personally, I noticed how common it was to refer to Mr. Bush as the "so-called President" during his terms in office. I count that as my own bias being revealed rather than a concerted effort by an entire group of people conspiring to defame a single individual.

you may recoil when Rush Limbaugh refers to the President as "Barry" or by using the President's middle name. You have to ask why is your nose out of joint? Both names are correct, the issue is that a reprehensible clown says them.

you want to really play the flea bag game? The obvious example is the City of Detroit. A bankrupt, structurally dysfunctional, crime ridden Democratic herpes outbreak.

you seriously want to point to an extremist wing as being the totem for an entire political party?

Sure, I'll play all day long Lowell once you concede that the myriad of problems south of 8 Mile is owned by the political Party that has controlled it for 50+ years.

If you think that is an unreasonable position, you might want to consider walking back from your inflammatory inferred accusations that people who don't vote like you are somehow crazy racists who sport sweatshirts imported from looneyville.
    Have you not noticed that certain private individuals have been bankrolling primary challengers to unseat powerful, more moderate GOP members, ala Eric Cantor? The entire GOP shakes in fear of not just the Tea Party, but their private backers who seem to dictate which issues are important and which ones are not. This means you are seeing some traditionally more moderate GOP members taking anti-immigration stances [[even though everyone agrees, we gotta do something), anti-scinetific positions such as "Climate change isn't real!", etc. Those private backers have whipped the crazies into a frenzy and used that threat to force others to go along with their little "screw democracy" project.

And yes, the "political party that controls Detroit" is guilty as hell of screwing up not just left and right, but all over. Someone at the state level should've stood up and said "Hey, get your act together", but they didn't. There is a reason I dislike Michigan's Dem party.

When that extremest wing is driving the agenda of the entire political party, yes.

You're confusing the incompetence and corruption of Detroit with the extremism on the GOP side of today. Totally different issues. George Romney, William Milliken or Gerald Ford couldn't possibly be elected in today's GOP

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    You're confusing the incompetence and corruption of Detroit with the extremism on the GOP side of today. Totally different issues. George Romney, William Milliken or Gerald Ford couldn't possibly be elected in today's GOP
    ...or Ronald Reagan or Abraham Lincoln.

As it was pointed out to me while attending the Republican Convention, within the Tea Party there are those who harken to principles of lower taxes and less government regulation whereas others trumpet more crazyville positions about the UN, ChemTrails, Islamic infiltration along with Lizard people.

many of these views have been shared with the Lyndon LaRouch democratic wing.

As it was pointed out to me while attending the Republican Convention, within the Tea Party there are those who harken to principles of lower taxes and less government regulation whereas others trumpet more crazyville positions about the UN, ChemTrails, Islamic infiltration along with Lizard people.

many of these views have been shared with the Lyndon LaRouch democratic wing.
    The Lyndon LaRoucher's never became the defacto leadership like the Ted Cruz types on the right have. That is the key difference and what Nolan is talking about in the last few editorials.

All that bullshit about "small government" and "lower taxes" [[COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE POINTS BTW) is irrelevant. Those issues don't move the needle in today's Republican party primary... Gay marriage, abortion, #benghazi, #irs, and depending on the day and what Obama is doing-- bombing someone immediately without congressional approval...or not bombing them because it's impeachable for POTUS to do so without congressional approval. And then maybe interring and mass deportation of illegal aliens.
    Last edited by bailey; September-29-14 at 01:42 PM.

The difference Gnome is that the Dems running Detroit were establishment, if incompetent, Dems. It wasn't as if the some leftist black panther wing faction was driving the primary results and saddling the state party their candidates in the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The difference Gnome is that the Dems running Detroit were establishment, if incompetent, Dems. It wasn't as if the some leftist black panther wing faction was driving the primary results and saddling the state party their candidates in the general election.
    You can't be serious.

What the heck was the Shrine all about if it wasn't leftist ideology? It was founded by Warren Evans' maternal uncle who was a well known separatist.

Moreover, you obviously have never been to a Democratic State convention where Detroit based party hacks have been rammed down the gullets of out-state moderate Democrats.

All of that aside, what exactly is this argument about? Nolan Finely writes a piece that spares any love for an extreme branch of an extreme wing of the Republican Party, and you want to disagree with him?

what kind of ignorant double-think are you involved in? "I can't agree with anyone different from me?" Why aren't you patting Nolan on the back for coming around to your line of thinking?

jeeze man.

You can't be serious.

What the heck was the Shrine all about if it wasn't leftist ideology? It was founded by Warren Evans' maternal uncle who was a well known separatist.

Moreover, you obviously have never been to a Democratic State convention where Detroit based party hacks have been rammed down the gullets of out-state moderate Democrats.

All of that aside, what exactly is this argument about? Nolan Finely writes a piece that spares any love for an extreme branch of an extreme wing of the Republican Party, and you want to disagree with him?

what kind of ignorant double-think are you involved in? "I can't agree with anyone different from me?" Why aren't you patting Nolan on the back for coming around to your line of thinking?

jeeze man.
    "extreme branch of an extreme wing"? Or the dominant force?

I'm still laughing at "terrist."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast