Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pedestrian Bridge Toppled on M-39 Southfield Expressway

The Cathedral Street Pedestrian Bridge on the Southfield FWY. [[M-39) has collapsed. The cause of the collapse was a dump truck that crashed in the support beams on the northbound side. The Cathedral Street Pedestrian Bridge connects both east and west/west and east of the Detroit ghetto hood for those students heading back and forth from Cody High School. M-39 is closed from I-96 to Ford Rd. Expect traffic jams.

Pedestrian bridge collapses on Southfield Freeway
    Detroit Free Press - ‎10 minutes ago‎

A pedestrian bridge hit by a car hauler collapsed on the Southfield Freeway today, injuring one person and leading to the closure of the road.

The driver of the truck has died. This accident has turned tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    The driver of the truck has died. This accident has turned tragic.
    Horrible. condolences to the family.

It's sad that a person died, but at least it was the one at fault and not some innocent kid.

I doubt this will be cleaned up by the afternoon rush.

Very tragic, it could have been much, much worse.

That was the bridge I crossed twice a day to get to Cody. It seemed so solid. As a Yooper transplant I was terrified of it at first. This might have been what I imagined. Prayers for the poor driver. The story said the hydraulic lift on the back was up. It's amazing he made it that far.

How is there not a failsafe on those trucks that when the vehicle is in motion, the lift is not able to go up? Not sure why, just seems like commone sense on vehicle design.

Doubt that'll be cleared by afternoon rush hour, definitely in time for Monday mornings commute.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    The story said the hydraulic lift on the back was up. It's amazing he made it that far.
    I was thinking the same thing. The clearance on that bridge is almost 15 feet. That is higher than most of the bridges on M-39. Perhaps he hit a dump button while driving? Poor guy probably didn't know what happened.

Looking at the pics it looks like a twisted steel rollercoaster. Wow what a mess.

I too know that bridge well. I've spent most of my life in this area and grew up off Cathedral just W of Cody. I went to Everett, which was the elementary school next to Cody. I once was able to catch my runaway dog as a 7 year old because I trapped him at the bridge. I hated that dog he always messed with the kids. I can remember him running to the middle of Stien Field then just sitting there waiting for us, once we would get close he would take off again. That dog was a major @$$hole.

Not the first time. Won't be the last.

I remember a few similar incidents on Detroit freeways. One was in the mid 80s [[maybe), I-75 somewhere around Michigan. That bridge was much more solid and didn't even budge, but the truck cab was launched upward under the bridge deck crushing the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

Very tragic, it could have been much, much worse.
    Yea it's a lucky thing this happened in the middle of the night instead of the morning rush.

What government entity is responsible for replacing the bridge-- if it is even decided to replace it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    What government entity is responsible for replacing the bridge-- if it is even decided to replace it at all?
    MDOT. And chances are they have to replace it since it's path for school kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not the first time. Won't be the last.

I remember a few similar incidents on Detroit freeways. One was in the mid 80s [[maybe), I-75 somewhere around Michigan. That bridge was much more solid and didn't even budge, but the truck cab was launched upward under the bridge deck crushing the driver.
    Bridge hits happen a lot more than people realize. The Paul Rd bridge over M-39 was down a couple of lanes for several years a few years back because trucks kept hitting it. It was finally rebuilt higher.

One of the issues with I-94 is that it is an old freeway that has lots of bridges that are prime for hitting. Trucks know to stay away from it normally. It does however impact the ability for Detroit to remain economically competitive as commerce avoids it because its bridges can't fit modern sized trucks. This leads to fewer job opportunities and difficulties for businesses who ship their goods or need goods shipped to them. This is one of the many operational issues that makes the I-94 corridor more of an issue. Those who want things to stay the way they are are not factoring in things such as this, or the accidents, or the air pollution caused by all of the idling vehicles [[cars at higher speeds are actually cleaner than those that sit there idling).

We have a lot of old out of date infrastructure. We need to address it or live with the issues of poor roads and basements filling with sewage.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Bridge hits happen a lot more than people realize. The Paul Rd bridge over M-39 was down a couple of lanes for several years a few years back because trucks kept hitting it. It was finally rebuilt higher.

One of the issues with I-94 is that it is an old freeway that has lots of bridges that are prime for hitting. Trucks know to stay away from it normally. It does however impact the ability for Detroit to remain economically competitive as commerce avoids it because its bridges can't fit modern sized trucks. This leads to fewer job opportunities and difficulties for businesses who ship their goods or need goods shipped to them. This is one of the many operational issues that makes the I-94 corridor more of an issue. Those who want things to stay the way they are are not factoring in things such as this, or the accidents, or the air pollution caused by all of the idling vehicles [[cars at higher speeds are actually cleaner than those that sit there idling).

We have a lot of old out of date infrastructure. We need to address it or live with the issues of poor roads and basements filling with sewage.
    I'm sure people understand the need to address our crumbling infrastructure.

The problem we have is that no one wants to pay for addressing it, which is understandable given how hard we were collectively hit during the auto industry's collapse [[people are fearful of losing the little money/wealth they still have, as thy don't know where more is going to come from).

So in the mean time, we have just taken a "let the chips fall where they may" approach...

BTW, as far as the I-94 plans, no one has disputed the need to upgrade and repair its lighting/bridges/overpasses/pavement/shoulders. Rather, people question whether it is necessary to widen I-94 by as much as planned...
    Last edited by 313WX; September-26-14 at 10:08 AM.

Hopefully insurance companies pay for damaged bridges and not me. Sorry, if a truck hits it that does not count as crumbling infrastructure. Every time this subject comes up why do we all need to open our wallets? Sorry, I'm tapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Hopefully insurance companies pay for damaged bridges and not me. Sorry, if a truck hits it that does not count as crumbling infrastructure. Every time this subject comes up why do we all need to open our wallets? Sorry, I'm tapped out.
    The Insurance companies will argue that the bridge does not meet FHWA standards and deny any claim, tie it up in courts, and ultimately win. The ADA was used to tear out every ramp in the City that was put in pre-ADA standards and make them all compliant. How many ramps were there? Well the City converted nearly every intersection prior to the law, the answer is millions of dollars worth.

The Insurance companies will argue that the bridge does not meet FHWA standards and deny any claim, tie it up in courts, and ultimately win. The ADA was used to tear out every ramp in the City that was put in pre-ADA standards and make them all compliant. How many ramps were there? Well the City converted nearly every intersection prior to the law, the answer is millions of dollars worth.
    Hmm. Let's be specific here. The company that owns the truck and for whom the driver was employed, may he rest in peace, is certainly going to incur liability if the accident was for the reason described, as the driver was certainly negligent in driving with his equipment in the wrong configuration.

Michigan is not a contributory-negligence state, so whether or not the bridge meets current FHWA standards [[which it doesn't have to) is going to be a small consideration, one which may reduce damages paid somewhat, but not eliminate them. Assuming the trucking company has insurance, their insurance company is going to be on the hook for this, and may be able to get their liability reduced but won't get off scot-free. If the bridge is rebuilt [[see below), MDOT will absorb the difference between what the insurance pays and the actual cost; this is the ordinary process any time infrastructure is damaged in an accident.

MDOT does not have to go through and retroactively update infrastructure as the rules change. Nobody does. The rule of thumb is when you rebuild you must comply. As a result, any new bridge in that location is going to be much nastier for pedestrians as it will have to be built with modern clearances, so people are going to have to walk uphill much more than they were used to.

Incidentally for the replacement bridge it is likely they will be able to use a prefabricated bridge in one or two sections, so it's not going to cost very much. The biggest cost will be where the bridge connects to the ground on either side of the highway - this will have to be extensively modified to provide the required clearance and comply with ADA. It's possible that there isn't enough room to accomplish both, and if there isn't, the bridge won't be rebuilt because it can't be.
    Last edited by professorscott; September-26-14 at 11:55 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    MDOT does not have to go through and retroactively update infrastructure as the rules change. Nobody does. The rule of thumb is when you rebuild you must comply. As a result, any new bridge in that location is going to be much nastier for pedestrians as it will have to be built with modern clearances, so people are going to have to walk uphill much more than they were used to.

"The curb cuts in question are the result of a 2005 lawsuit against the city by an Ann Arbor lawyer on behalf of Michigan Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Center for Community Access, the settlement of which stipulated that Detroit revamp its ramps. Detroit installed many curb cuts in the 1980s, before new Americans with Disabilities Act requirements were established in 1991. Specifically, the nubbly “detectable warning” surfaces on modern ramps are made of reddish rubber, while old ones sport concrete nubs or smooth surfaces making wheelchair traction a challenge. Never mind that the rubber ones tend to shear off and can sometimes be found decorating the gutters like cheerful Heidelberg dots."
    http://detroitrambling.net/2013/12/curb-cuts/
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-26-14 at 12:06 PM.

If I recall correctly, this bridge had spiral ramps on either side of the freeway. Since it was built before ADA, I am not sure compliance was in order. I remember riding my bike around the spirals so I am guessing wheelchairs could go up and down it with care. It seemed to me the reason was that spirals took up less room on the ground than straight or zigzag ramps. If the ramps were not damaged, perhaps they could be used for the new bridge.

I drive past [[under) that bridge often, but still fail with my memory occasionally. Pretty sure I am recalling correct here though.

The ramps on each side were deteriorated to the point where the hand-railings were all but gone, replaced with some yellow caution tape and temporary 2x4 wood replacements. I remember looking at it and thinking that it appeared to be borderline unsafe. Perhaps the bridge itself was structurally sound, but the ends of it were a mess.

Terribly unfortunate that this kind of accident is what will lead to an upgrade, but an upgrade was almost certainly required.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...apse/16252769/

Freep cites an MSP source that the driver was not wearing his seatbelt and likely would have escaped death if he were.

I would imaging that a bridge would have caused the truck to very quickly go from 60-70 to 0 mph.

It's a very tragic case where a seatbelt would saved a family's grief. Bridges can be replaced...

thoro Guest

Driver should've been aware that the bed was tilting on his trailer. I would think some sort of power take-off would have to be engaged first. That's hard to do when the truck is in motion.
    I'm sure these details will surface as the investigation goes on. This will take forever.

Quote Originally Posted by thoro View Post
    Driver should've been aware that the bed was tilting on his trailer. I would think some sort of power take-off would have to be engaged first. That's hard to do when the truck is in motion.
    I'm sure these details will surface as the investigation goes on. This will take forever.
    Depending on the truck, the PTO could easily have been left engaged while driving. Some have a large button that flashes, others have a row of lighted switches that could be overlooked. Doesn't take much lift to get you in trouble.