Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Utilities Gouging?

My electric and water bills have increased rather dramatically over the past few months. In particular, my DWSD bill went up around 50%. Electric is pretty bad as well. I've spent less and less time at home as a result of military obligation and I also don't own a television or water my lawn or any silly business like that so it would be impossible for my actual usage to increase. I think the local evil monopolies/trusts [[DWSD and DTE) are scamming me and I would like to destroy them. Any input in your experiences or how to go about seeking retribution from them or otherwise dealing them punishment is appreciated.
    Last edited by poobert; September-25-14 at 11:00 PM.

Yes, very badly, they turned one of the very best fresh water supply's on planet earth right here in north America and well.... Instead of making it a fantastic regional asset they started gouging the shit out of you. They wanted it all, high paid union jobs with bullshit classifications and of course a special interest consideration to NOT TAX THE INCOME FROM THEIR PESIONS because it's only bad when corporations do it, not when everyone else does.

I assume you've checked your usage numbers. DTE has a usage graph available that will chart KWH month by month. The cost per KWH has not really changed.

If you're away a lot and your neighbors lawn is green and yours is dead, this could be a clue to high water usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    I assume you've checked your usage numbers. DTE has a usage graph available that will chart KWH month by month. The cost per KWH has not really changed.

If you're away a lot and your neighbors lawn is green and yours is dead, this could be a clue to high water usage.
    Even worse, you could have a leak in the water line between the meter and your house [[very expensive). As noted, check your usage rates.

It's usually gradual but an aging refrigerator will eventually spike up your electric bill. I noted a difference when I replaced my older fridge a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    My electric and water bills have increased rather dramatically over the past few months. In particular, my DWSD bill went up around 50%. Electric is pretty bad as well. I've spent less and less time at home as a result of military obligation and I also don't own a television or water my lawn or any silly business like that so it would be impossible for my actual usage to increase. I think the local evil monopolies/trusts [[DWSD and DTE) are scamming me and I would like to destroy them.
    Let's suspend the evil conspiracy talk until you rule out usage issues. I know that rates have not gone up by 50% in the last few months, so the key is finding out where the usage numbers are coming from. We can always go back to taking out the ISIS/DTE/Al-Qaeda/DWSD syndicate afterwards.

Have you compared the usage numbers billed from month-to-month? What do they read? DTE now has an app for your smartphone where you can monitor energy usage in real-time. If you download it you will be able to see when the spikes in usage are coming from.

From there you can better deduce the culprit.

Not to change the subject, but speaking of DTE, I got a very high pressure call yesterday from a group wanting me to give them my DTE account number. She talked very fast and would not directly answer my questions. They were trying to switch me to another supplier. They gave the impression they were representing DTE. When I told them to leave a phone number and I would call them back, she told me to forget it and hung up. Called DTE and had a lock put on my account. Be aware

Willi Guest

According a recent study , Detroit water/sewer are not that bad, compared to other places

Attachment 24490

My electric and water bills have increased rather dramatically over the past few months. In particular, my DWSD bill went up around 50%. Electric is pretty bad as well. I've spent less and less time at home as a result of military obligation and I also don't own a television or water my lawn or any silly business like that so it would be impossible for my actual usage to increase. I think the local evil monopolies/trusts [[DWSD and DTE) are scamming me and I would like to destroy them. Any input in your experiences or how to go about seeking retribution from them or otherwise dealing them punishment is appreciated.

Chances are it impacts you more because you do conserve. As crazy as it sounds there is a base cost for the service then there is a charge for the amount you use it. Here are some suggestions to help reduce your bill:

Switch all of your lights to LED
    Turn off your outdoor spigots, I am serious. I had deadbeat neighbors that would wait till I was away and use my water to do their dishes, flush the toilets, what have you. Turned off the spigot from the inside and no more deadbeat neighbors.
    Bathe Weekly
    Flush your toilet once a week whether you need to or not.

Yeah a couple of those were just jokes. I too have noticed this. I have a Cabin in N Michigan. There are some months I don't get to it, but my bills for that month are about the same as the bills for other months. My suggestion to you is learn to live with it. The cost of providing service is going up, and as crazy as it sounds the more people conserve, the more they need to keep the infrastructure in place.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-26-14 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    According a recent study , Detroit water/sewer are not that bad, compared to other places

Attachment 24490
    $70 a YEAR???? Hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post

If you have a smart meter you can get a phone app and see your usage hour-by-hour. I installed the DTE Energy Insight app and have had a lot of fun analyzing my energy usage.

thoro Guest

[QUOTE=corktownyuppie;452827]Let's suspend the evil conspiracy talk until you rule out usage issues. I know that rates have not gone up by 50% in the last few months, so the key is finding out where the usage numbers are coming from. We can always go back to taking out the ISIS/DTE/Al-Qaeda/DWSD syndicate afterwards.

Have you compared the usage numbers billed from month-to-month? What do they read? DTE now has an app for your smartphone where you can monitor energy usage in real-time. If you download it you will be able to se

My water bill 5 years ago was in the $28 range, now it is $39.84. THAT is the minimum. I blame the corruption within the department AND the huge number of people who simply do not pay their water bill.

Willi Guest

Warren will probably be the last place in Michigan to have Smart Meters due to absolute idiots
    who don't know crap about science and physics, yet bathe in electromagnetic radiation daily.

thoro Guest

What year is that chart from? My monthly water bill is $39.84.....that's over $450 per year. My monthly bill is the rock, bottom minimum.

Willi Guest

It says right on the chart AND its specific to DETROIT
    If you live outside the city, your city, township, municipality "may" add on fees

http://bv.com/docs/management-consul...er-rate-survey
    Last edited by Willi; September-26-14 at 03:36 PM.

It says right on the chart AND its specific to DETROIT
    If you live outside the city, your city, township, municipality "may" add on fees

http://bv.com/docs/management-consul...er-rate-survey
    This is the secret that doesn't get discussed much. The 'burbs add a lot to water bills. You can decide for yourself whether water charges is the right way to finance your city, and vote accordingly. You might prefer a higher property tax, or local sales tax, or as you democratically choose

On electricity, its the other way around -- at least for businesses. Detroit businesses pay a 5% Detroit utility surcharge on their bills, last I knew. Part of the DEGC's plan to encourage development in Detroit, I'm sure. But seriously folks, I've forgotten what they money goes to. Anyone know?

Willi Guest

Detroit water commissioners voted to increase water and sewer rates
    an average of 10 percent in February. The increases take effect July 1.

A half-dozen communities are raising rates more than 20 percent for water and sewage.
    - Trenton is charging its residents 35 percent more for water.
    - Taylor's homeowners will pay 30 percent more for sewers.
    - Tiny Keego Harbor in Oakland County is raising its rates by 29 percent.
    - Eastpointe: combined sewer and water rates up 30 percent.
    - New Baltimore: water rates up 24 percent.
    - Grosse Ile Township: combined water and sewer rates up 17 percent.

- Other cities had smaller-than-average increases,
    and they are tacking on surcharges to water bills to make up the difference.
    - In Plymouth, city officials voted to raise water rates only 5.5 percent,
    but the city is charging an additional 4.5 percent service fee for processing water bills.

- Dearborn water rates are going up by nearly 10 percent, in part,
    to help pay for a massive sewer project being ordered by the federal government.

Willi Guest

Post #10 Water Chart is meant to be MONTHLY.
    I emailed Black and Veatch this afternoon and got an immediate response.

Post #10 Water Chart is meant to be MONTHLY.
    I emailed Black and Veatch this afternoon and got an immediate response.
    I still don't think it's right. $200/mo in Atlanta?

It's too high for monthly and too low for annual. It might be reasonable for quarterly.

Out here in the sticks, I pay about $18/mo for water only [[base rate including the first 1,000 gallons), no sewerage as we're all on septic systems.

-----------------

I think the kicker is that it's based on 7,500 gallons/mo. Do any of you use that? It seems high. I rarely break 2,000, but if I were to hit the 7,500 mark in the chart, my bill could be around $80 based on published rates.
    Last edited by Meddle; September-26-14 at 09:11 PM.

Interesting you brought that up. My saga: we have the satellite read. Got our bill which says actual and our usage went up 87%! Curious sense we lost power in the billing cycle for 5 1/2 days. We called, they asked us to read the meter and said "oops, it wasn't an actual read so pay this amount which was and has been, still insane.

Our plan of action is to go to pay adjusted bill in person, I want an audit of the past 6 month and a real check on our meter and a full energy audit at their expense.

The budget plan is also a major rip off. Pay the monthly amount and at least you can catch errors earlier.

Gas bill is in line but water bills also insane. I have been calling with no luck for months. Things like you are 54th in queue and an hour later you are on hold and still 54th.

That was a 'scam-troll' call! I get them regarding fake employment 'opportunities' or trying to talk me into signing up for some utility scam. You can all but curse them out and they robotically keep talking, reading their tired script! Ending the call is the only thing that ends it. These so-called utility resellers are the worst. In the end you'll pay more and if you are late in payment: lights out. I'm not crazy for DTE but know better than get involved in a MLM scam promising to save me any money!

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Not to change the subject, but speaking of DTE, I got a very high pressure call yesterday from a group wanting me to give them my DTE account number. She talked very fast and would not directly answer my questions. They were trying to switch me to another supplier. They gave the impression they were representing DTE. When I told them to leave a phone number and I would call them back, she told me to forget it and hung up. Called DTE and had a lock put on my account. Be aware

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Sounds like some variation of slamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That was a 'scam-troll' call! I get them regarding fake employment 'opportunities' or trying to talk me into signing up for some utility scam. You can all but curse them out and they robotically keep talking, reading their tired script! Ending the call is the only thing that ends it. These so-called utility resellers are the worst. In the end you'll pay more and if you are late in payment: lights out. I'm not crazy for DTE but know better than get involved in a MLM scam promising to save me any money!
    Not always. Unbeknownst to me, I had a distant relative in Nairobi die and leave me $1.8 mil. All I had to do was pay the Estate Executor of the Peoples Bank of Nairobi a $1700 transfer fee, and the money was mine. I gave them my bank account #, so as soon as the money gets transferred, I'm out of here.....
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-27-14 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoro View Post

My water bill 5 years ago was in the $28 range, now it is $39.84. THAT is the minimum. I blame the corruption within the department AND the huge number of people who simply do not pay their water bill.
    I dont understand people's outrage over their water bills. $40. That's something to bitch about? And blame on "corruption and the huge number of people who don't pay"? Really? How much is your cell phone bill? How about the monthly cable / internet charge? How much does it cost to fill the car with gas? Heaven forbid you drive a truck.

We need water. And I very much appreciate receiving clean water [[especially considering the condition DSWD gets it back in). $40. I'll pay it. Gladly.

For DWSD there was an eight percent rate increase approved by the Detroit City
    Council recently - the specified purpose of this rate increase was for capital
    improvements. This increase was approved prior to the GLWA announcement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast