Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57
  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    While I very often disagree with GP, he is totally correct that Detroit is a fantastic place to find yourself, but equally as dangerous when it comes to losing yourself. You will meet all types of people, from all walks of life and get to experience all manner of things. Just make sure to keep your head straight, eyes on the prize of growing yourself to be a better human all around and enjoy your time here.

    If you have any specific questions though, ask away. That's the best way for us to get you the info you want.
    Thanks, I get what your saying... I'm hoping to find myself in the process of losing it. I hope that makes sense. (: Here is a specific question: How much on average would a studio apartment cost, in a decent apartment. With laundry-mat of its own, with the buzz in security, cable/internet ready, and storage (nothing crazy)?
    Thanks again!!!

  2. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I'm so hesistant about giving advise to a such a young woman. I'v seen too many things go wrong with plans and methods like you have in mind.

    Give things time unless there are extenuating circumstances present now.

    There are much better college towns here in Michigan or the US for that matter.
    Can you give me examples of things that cause plans to fall through so I can prepare. Thanks!!!

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Is there a particular reason why you've chosen Detroit? Had you considered other places? When you say you plan to hustle what exactly do you mean? Why are you keeping your plans from your parents? What kind of resources and advice are you looking for?
    I have considered St. Louis, and Portland. I chose Detroit because it will be a new "world", I've lived in L.A so I understand fast-paced city life. Also, because between my 3 choices it is the least expensive. By hustle I mean do anything I need to support myself, as long as it is legal. I guess it just means if I need to have 5 jobs, I'll do it. I do plan on telling them, but I want to be educated and be able to present pretty solid plans to them. To prove I can do this.
    For now I'm just seeking pretty general things because I still have a year and a half. I guess I do want to know how jobs are. Is it easy to get them, most popular jobs, minimum wage. Those types of things. Thanks, for your help!!!

  4. #29

    Default Apartments

    Alden Apartments. That is like something I am looking for. Any suggestions?
    http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...-Towers/24839/

    I have said this a couple times already, but I can't believe so many people were willing to help. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

  5. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Flagstaff is at a high altitude in Arizona. It gets plenty cold there in the winter. She'll have a coat.
    That's correct.

    The densest isotherms in the U.S. are between Phoenix and Flagstaff. That means if you want to retire to Winter and Summer homes separated by the least possible distance, Phoenix and Flagstaff are the best places based on that criterion alone.

    I suspect that's why there are so many snowbirds in Phoenix.

    But back on topic, it's generally strongly recommended to secure an income stream (e.g., job) at your destination before you commit to a move. And don't unnecessarily burn any bridges that might be useful for a contingency-planned retreat. This is just common sense.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-25-14 at 07:23 PM.

  6. #31

    Default

    "Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread."
    I guess there are trolls and exploiters everywhere.
    Looking back, this old guy has found that one may regret what one does not do more than what one does.
    Go for it, after following other forum members advice about visiting first (yep, in February). We have a few months of winter, then a few months of mud and little sun.
    Still less expensive housing than many cities, but prices are going up in the university area.
    Wait until you are eighteen, save money like a miser in the meantime.
    Good luck, the world is yours!

  7. #32

    Default

    This board continues to be a drag. I love how the resident "lefty" is harping about the weather. *Grumble grumble* *too cold* *grumble grumble* "where's my broiled goose?*

    I moved to Detroit when I was quite young as well, with not much of a pot to piss in. You're not going to find "GP" in my username. I grew up in a working class, single parent home. My mother was dead and my father was a good man, but a factory worker with an interest in alcohol. I can relate, quite a bit, to wanting to get out. Bunch of Roeper kids here who don't know shit from Shinola.

    The cheap apartments of the Cass Corridor are gone, but I would look on Craigslist in Hamtramck (an immigrant enclave of Detroit) and Southwest Detroit. Incredibly affordable places to live with creative-minded people.

    As for a job, I'd recommend you get into being a server. The sooner you can get experience, the better. There are a ton of restaurants in Detroit always hiring, if you have a bit of experience. You'll make top dollar. Hell, in your early 20's you can be bringing in close to six figures. Balance your work with your sleep and school life though. It's not a career you want forever.

    I went to Wayne State University. It is a great school. Don't get caught up in the pressure to go to this-school-or-that. Just work hard and look for ANY opportunity while you're there, and GRADUATE. You want a degree.

    Never lose your love for life and adventure but stay with the right group of people. Go to bed and wake up at a decent hour. Stay away from the hard stuff. Work hard and study hard. You'll be fine. Ignore the noise. All the best.
    Last edited by poobert; September-25-14 at 08:05 PM.

  8. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Thanks. That email was my spam email one, the one I use for random stuff, thanks anyways. I'm so amazed that this many people are helping, let alone even bothered to read my post. I think I've said this before, but I'm originally from L.A so I understand busy. The tuition system is different but the in-state here is more that the out of state at Wayne. (:
    A lot can change in two years, especially when you are 16, but if you do come, you might consider doing a year of community college while you establish residency. Transferring to Wayne afterward shouldn't be a big problem. Of course if money isn't an issue then this isn't very relevant, but all my college-age nieces and nephews need to economize where possible.

  9. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This board continues to be a drag. I love how the resident "lefty" is harping about the weather. *Grumble grumble* *too cold* *grumble grumble* "where's my broiled goose?*

    I moved to Detroit when I was quite young as well, with not much of a pot to piss in. You're not going to find "GP" in my username. I grew up in a working class, single parent home. My mother was dead and my father was a good man, but a factory worker with an interest in alcohol. I can relate, quite a bit, to wanting to get out. Bunch of Roeper kids here who don't know shit from Shinola.

    The cheap apartments of the Cass Corridor are gone, but I would look on Craigslist in Hamtramck (an immigrant enclave of Detroit) and Southwest Detroit. Incredibly affordable places to live with creative-minded people.

    As for a job, I'd recommend you get into being a server. The sooner you can get experience, the better. There are a ton of restaurants in Detroit always hiring, if you have a bit of experience. You'll make top dollar. Hell, in your early 20's you can be bringing in close to six figures. Balance your work with your sleep and school life though. It's not a career you want forever.

    I went to Wayne State University. It is a great school. Don't get caught up in the pressure to go to this-school-or-that. Just work hard and look for ANY opportunity while you're there, and GRADUATE. You want a degree.

    Never lose your love for life and adventure but stay with the right group of people. Go to bed and wake up at a decent hour. Stay away from the hard stuff. Work hard and study hard. You'll be fine. Ignore the noise. All the best.
    Thanks, this is one of the best responses I have gotten. They all have helped, but we can relate on more that living/moving to Detroit. I appreciate the honesty, and not being afraid to say whatever. I will definitely look into those neighborhoods. I am looking into jobs here as a server/hostess, and I do plan and looking into those first.

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    "Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread."
    I guess there are trolls and exploiters everywhere.
    Looking back, this old guy has found that one may regret what one does not do more than what one does.
    Go for it, after following other forum members advice about visiting first (yep, in February). We have a few months of winter, then a few months of mud and little sun.
    Still less expensive housing than many cities, but prices are going up in the university area.
    Wait until you are eighteen, save money like a miser in the meantime.
    Good luck, the world is yours!
    Thanks!!! I do plan on hoarding Benjamins! (:

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    A lot can change in two years, especially when you are 16, but if you do come, you might consider doing a year of community college while you establish residency. Transferring to Wayne afterward shouldn't be a big problem. Of course if money isn't an issue then this isn't very relevant, but all my college-age nieces and nephews need to economize where possible.
    That is what I'm considering. To get in-state tuition, I'm adopted and my dad is a veteran so I get help there, but whatever I can do to make things cost less, I'm game. Thank-you!!!

  12. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    This board continues to be a drag. I love how the resident "lefty" is harping about the weather....
    That's what's dragging the board down, right there.

    Left/Right politics has nothing to do with the topic at hand yet Detroitnerd posed a legitimate, apolitical concern about weather.

    You unwittingly tipped your hand, in a poker-tell sense, poobert.

    How embarrassing for you.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-25-14 at 10:22 PM.

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's what's dragging the board down, right there.

    Left/Right politics has nothing to do with the topic at hand yet Detroitnerd posed a legitimate, apolitical concern about weather.

    You unwittingly tipped your hand, in a poker-tell sense, poobert.

    How embarrassing for you.
    I've never voted anything besides Democratic or Green, and never missed a single election, at that, which is why I think it is all the more embarrassing that some local progressive is advising an idealistic young woman to proverbially consider a condo in Clearwater.

    Yet despite the detractors, the young woman said my post was among the most helpful. Apparently on this board it is a problem to be helpful. Go figure.

    Forest for the trees, guys.
    Last edited by poobert; September-25-14 at 10:50 PM.

  14. #39

    Default

    For the right person, Wayne State could be a pretty cool place to move for college. To the contrary of what some have suggested, you will not have to prepare yourself for some fast paced life in the city if you decide to make this move but you will absolutely have to deal with some negativity typically associated with city living. Good luck and do as much research as you can. America is a big place with lots of options.

  15. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Thanks, I get what your saying... I'm hoping to find myself in the process of losing it. I hope that makes sense. (: Here is a specific question: How much on average would a studio apartment cost, in a decent apartment. With laundry-mat of its own, with the buzz in security, cable/internet ready, and storage (nothing crazy)?
    Thanks again!!!
    Studio within walking distance of Wayne State will probably be 500-600 for anything that would be considered decent. Expect just internet to run you $20-30, $50-70 if you add in cable. Storage is usually available, but varies from place to place. Some of the places I saw had the chain link fenced in areas in the basement deal, others had better secured storage. Don't expect a ton of room unless you decide to live in a roommate situation in, say, Woodbridge (which I highly recommend if you are okay with roommates). Buzz in security is, for the most part, standard. Laundry is also hit or miss, mostly coin operated machines. Here are a couple websites to look at, I'll try and find a few more for ya: http://liveinwoodbridge.com/ http://midtowndetroitinc.org/ (less about the areas, more about the city stuff->) http://hellyeahdetroit.com/ http://detroit.eater.com http://detroiturbex.com/ (if you enjoy history) I'll post more later, at work so it's a bit hard

    But mostly, listen to poobert's advice. Get into a restaurant as a hostess while you're in high school. Get that experience ASAP. Don't worry if people say WSU's degrees are useless paper - college is 50% where you went, 50% who you met. Focus on meeting people and making connections, that is what gets you a job. And as poobert said, never stop loving life.

    Keep us updated on things, I will try and find you more stuff to research prior to you coming out this way, if you still choose to.

  16. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    I have read there is a lot going on in Detroit all the time, especially regarding the arts. I do plan on going out next spring break in 2016 for sure and visiting and maybe this summer.
    The climate there is pretty similar to winter here in Flagstaff. 80's in the summer, and low 20's in the winter with unpredictable wind and snow.
    Thank you so much!!! Sorry if I'm blabbing too much. (:
    I'm not sure how important it is to you, but the climates are pretty different. Flag is at 7,000 feet and is generally low humidity year round. Fortunately, there is a lot of sun during the winter. It's warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than Detroit, but the dryness makes a big difference. Detroit can be very gloomy during the winter with long bouts of no sun. Detroit can also be quite humid during the summer. The elevation difference matters and keeps the humidity lower. I live at 5,500 feet, can can do without house cooling until 92-93 degrees. The Detroit humidity will make the summer heat feel hotter and the winter cold feel colder.

    If other issues are more important to you, than this probably won't matter except that you will know the differences in advance.

  17. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I'm not sure how important it is to you, but the climates are pretty different. Flag is at 7,000 feet and is generally low humidity year round. Fortunately, there is a lot of sun during the winter. It's warmer in the summer and colder in the winter than Detroit, but the dryness makes a big difference. Detroit can be very gloomy during the winter with long bouts of no sun. Detroit can also be quite humid during the summer. The elevation difference matters and keeps the humidity lower. I live at 5,500 feet, can can do without house cooling until 92-93 degrees. The Detroit humidity will make the summer heat feel hotter and the winter cold feel colder.

    If other issues are more important to you, than this probably won't matter except that you will know the differences in advance.
    Thanks!!! Before moving out to Arizona, I lived all over the west coast... L.A so I'm good with humidity. For the first ten years of my life I lived in Washington State and Oregon so that covers the dark. (: I do agree that the weather is my not my top concern. Probably, finding somewhere to live and getting a job, is my top concern. Thanks, again!!!

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Studio within walking distance of Wayne State will probably be 500-600 for anything that would be considered decent. Expect just internet to run you $20-30, $50-70 if you add in cable. Storage is usually available, but varies from place to place. Some of the places I saw had the chain link fenced in areas in the basement deal, others had better secured storage. Don't expect a ton of room unless you decide to live in a roommate situation in, say, Woodbridge (which I highly recommend if you are okay with roommates). Buzz in security is, for the most part, standard. Laundry is also hit or miss, mostly coin operated machines. Here are a couple websites to look at, I'll try and find a few more for ya: http://liveinwoodbridge.com/ http://midtowndetroitinc.org/ (less about the areas, more about the city stuff->) http://hellyeahdetroit.com/ http://detroit.eater.com http://detroiturbex.com/ (if you enjoy history) I'll post more later, at work so it's a bit hard

    But mostly, listen to poobert's advice. Get into a restaurant as a hostess while you're in high school. Get that experience ASAP. Don't worry if people say WSU's degrees are useless paper - college is 50% where you went, 50% who you met. Focus on meeting people and making connections, that is what gets you a job. And as poobert said, never stop loving life.

    Keep us updated on things, I will try and find you more stuff to research prior to you coming out this way, if you still choose to.
    Thanks, I visited those links, and they were a lot of help. I liked the detroiturbex one, it was more than apartments and jobs, it showed life. The midtowndetroitinc one was really helpful, more reliant than the generic apartment.com sites. I'm not really sure about the whole roommate scene yet. I figured the buzz securtity is pretty normal, but I don't want a doorman because I'm sure that costs a lot more, and is for the fancy shmancy places.
    Thank-you so much!!! I will keep you posted.

  19. #44

    Default

    Maybe I missed it but what are you planning to study, what are your interests?

    Your young, don't be in such a hurry. When your 18 and still set on coming here I hope you will make a few visits before throwing everything you have into it.

    Good luck and don't be getting off at the Greyhound station here and start looking for a job.

  20. #45

    Default

    You are indeed getting some good advice. At the risk of sounding pedantic talking to a school counselor would be a good idea. Any self help program will say that relocation does not cure lingering self issues you simply carry them with you.

    Consider Ameri corp or Cap Corp as an option, it's a year commitment for community work, pays a small stipend and monies toward college. Cap Corp (religious based) provides housing in the core city. We have a Cap Corp commune down the street and they are delightful young people. It would also give you a network of instant belonging.

    Wouldn't worry too much about "cool" affordable housing yet since things are changing daily here in Detroit. Best wishes for your quest. Sumas

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    You are indeed getting some good advice. At the risk of sounding pedantic talking to a school counselor would be a good idea. Any self help program will say that relocation does not cure lingering self issues you simply carry them with you.

    Consider Ameri corp or Cap Corp as an option, it's a year commitment for community work, pays a small stipend and monies toward college. Cap Corp (religious based) provides housing in the core city. We have a Cap Corp commune down the street and they are delightful young people. It would also give you a network of instant belonging.

    Wouldn't worry too much about "cool" affordable housing yet since things are changing daily here in Detroit. Best wishes for your quest. Sumas
    I will definitely check that out, though I'm not sure I could mix with religion. I did briefly visit the website for Ameri Corp. I seems like good idea, I'm going to look more in to that. Thank-you for the advice!!!

  22. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Maybe I missed it but what are you planning to study, what are your interests?

    Your young, don't be in such a hurry. When your 18 and still set on coming here I hope you will make a few visits before throwing everything you have into it.

    Good luck and don't be getting off at the Greyhound station here and start looking for a job.
    I'm not sure what exactly I want to study yet, I have so many ideas. I was thinking flight attendant, forest ranger type job. Something interesting to keep me stable while I write. I do want to be an author someday, but I need something to keep me alive until then. As for working before and during college it will be anything that gives me 3 hots and a cot.
    I am not planning on becoming a a greyhound suitcase dweller . (: That only works in the movies, and even then their suitcases of records (Rock of Ages) or stash of dead presidents hidden in the toilet (Burlesque) get stolen. I do wish, it could work out that way though!!! Imagine live as a movie!!! Anyways, thanks for the help!!!

  23. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Thanks, I visited those links, and they were a lot of help. I liked the detroiturbex one, it was more than apartments and jobs, it showed life. The midtowndetroitinc one was really helpful, more reliant than the generic apartment.com sites. I'm not really sure about the whole roommate scene yet. I figured the buzz securtity is pretty normal, but I don't want a doorman because I'm sure that costs a lot more, and is for the fancy shmancy places.
    Thank-you so much!!! I will keep you posted.
    Writing myself a sticky note to toss you a few more links tonight. There is a wealth of info on Detroit, the things that happen here, the adventures people go on, the ruins that can be found as well as the shining gems you don't hear mentioned often. Glad I could be of help!

  24. #49

    Default

    all you little kids seem to think you know just where it's at
    Oh I think I smell a rat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVZDGf3gPs

  25. #50

    Default

    Hi, guys! I have another question. What percentage of Detroit residents are receptacle to living with a room-mate? That's kind of a dumb question... but I can't think how to word it. It is more common living with a roommate or alone? Would you recommend living with a roommate or alone?
    Also, how are jobs? What places are most likely to hire a college student?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.