Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Hi, guys! I have another question. What percentage of Detroit residents are receptacle to living with a room-mate? That's kind of a dumb question... but I can't think how to word it. It is more common living with a roommate or alone? Would you recommend living with a roommate or alone?
    Also, how are jobs? What places are most likely to hire a college student?
    Not sure what you mean by percentage of Detroit residents are receptacle to living with a room-mate?

i think she wants to know if its easy to split the rent with someone and have multiple people living in one house.

you could check craigslist in the area you want to move to
    here for example is a search for midtown in the housing section of craigslist.
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...dtown&sort=rel

to answer your question, it depends on age. younger people, especially college students will be fine with roommates, because it means cheaper housing.

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    Hi, guys! I have another question. What percentage of Detroit residents are receptacle to living with a room-mate? That's kind of a dumb question... but I can't think how to word it. It is more common living with a roommate or alone? Would you recommend living with a roommate or alone?
    Also, how are jobs? What places are most likely to hire a college student?
    I personally live with two roommates, and most of my friends who live in Detroit have either significant others or roommates. Some people prefer living alone, others prefer roommates, you'll find a solid mix here. I recommend moving in with roommates for cost reasons. Also helps you establish a connection with someone in the city and can help you branch out. Most likely work for someone who is a college student would be food service in the area of Wayne State. Take our recommendations and get your experience in now You'll thank yourself when you're waiting tables and have extra money to blow while still being a student.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I personally live with two roommates, and most of my friends who live in Detroit have either significant others or roommates. Some people prefer living alone, others prefer roommates, you'll find a solid mix here. I recommend moving in with roommates for cost reasons. Also helps you establish a connection with someone in the city and can help you branch out. Most likely work for someone who is a college student would be food service in the area of Wayne State. Take our recommendations and get your experience in now You'll thank yourself when you're waiting tables and have extra money to blow while still being a student.
    Thanks. I do prefer to stay to myself. But it would be helpful to have one person I know and am able to fall back on instead of having no one in the entire
    city. Also, the cost factor would be helpful. Thanks again!!! [[:

Sorry. I barely saw your post. Thank-you that is helpful. Would you recommend living on or off campus?

The only way to live on campus at Wayne State U is to be an enrolled student. Unless you have plentiful excess $$$ or are willing to take out lots of loans, you do not even want to think about that while classified as a non-resident.

Up thread some folks suggested you take classes at a community college while waiting out your time to become a Resident according to Wayne State U. That's not a good [[or effective) idea at all. You will not be considered a Resident [[for in-state tuition purposes) if it appears you moved here to go to school. It's going to have to look like you moved to Detroit due to interest in Detroit and its ongoing resurgence, and also because of your interest in food service [[or whatever) as the many new restaurants means lots of opportunities here. If a year or so down the road you decide success isn't coming as quickly as you'd imagined and you think you'd better get more formal education to do what you want to do, and then you decide to look for a college and settle on Wayne State U-- that is the only scenario where they'd grant you in-state status.

http://reg.wayne.edu/pdf-forms/residen-form.pdf

If you even so much as apply for admission before you qualify as a resident per their guidelines, they'll pretty much lock you in as a non-resident for the duration of your college years there.

You mentioned earlier the tuition being so much lower at Wayne State, and I'm wondering whether you're sure. Most undergraduate degrees require 120 credit hours, so 30 per year or 15 per semester to finish in 4 years. Currently for 15 credit hours in the non-premium-fee majors an in-state freshman will pay $5,724/semester, so $11,448/year [[for the 30 credits) just for tuition and fees. Those amounts include no books, no housing, no food, no transportation. Also for the very first semester a student enrolls there is an additional "matriculation fee" of $224 if I correctly recall. http://reg.wayne.edu/pdf-tuition/tui...-fall-2014.pdf

That's not to discourage your plan, but just FYI so you'll know what to anticipate.

Willi Guest

IF you drive to WSU , there are parking fees for the structures - around $200 a semester.
    Parking takes EXTRA time, since the spots go fast, and you'll search around a lot for a spot.
    http://parking.wayne.edu/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3