Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default HELP: Moving Out On My Own To Detroit

I'm 16, I live in Arizona. I'm currently planning to move from Flagstaff, AZ to Detroit, MI. My home situation is good and not unhealthy my any means. The way it sits with me, and the way I process it toxic. I can't explain it, so you can contact me if you would like to know more of my story. I'm dropping the plans I had for my life that have been in place for about 2 years, and abandoning the way I live. It's going to hurt and it's going to suck and it's going to be hard, but I know and feel that in the end, everything will be alright.

When I turn 18, I want to move out on my own. Go to Wayne University, and hustle; earn a life for myself. I'm going to remain in contact with my family, of course, but the distance will help. I have no family west of The Rocky Mountains, that I'm aware of. I'll pretty much be alone. If you have any resources, tips anything at all that could help, I would appreciate it if you could contact me. It would be really great, if those in the area [[of Detroit) could help, and give me specific resources and advice.

I know its not very professional, but for now I'm not telling my parents. I want to be prepared and educated when I drop the ball, so I have to argue less and have less to prove. Thanks in advance, to all of you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    I'm 16, I live in Arizona. I'm currently planning to move from Flagstaff, AZ to Detroit, MI. My home situation is good and not unhealthy my any means. The way it sits with me, and the way I process it toxic. I can't explain it, so you can contact me if you would like to know more of my story. I'm dropping the plans I had for my life that have been in place for about 2 years, and abandoning the way I live. It's going to hurt and it's going to suck and it's going to be hard, but I know and feel that in the end, everything will be alright.
    When I turn 18, I want to move out on my own. Go to Wayne University, and hustle; earn a life for myself. I'm going to remain in contact with my family, of course, but the distance will help. I have no family west of The Rocky Mountains, that I'm aware of. I'll pretty much be alone. If you have any resources, tips anything at all that could help, I would appreciate it if you could contact me. It would be really great, if those in the area [[of Detroit) could help, and give me specific resources and advice.
    i know its not very professional, but for now I'm not telling my parents. I want to be prepared and educated when I drop the ball, so I have to argue less and have less to prove. Thanks in advance, to all of you!!!
    Detroit is a great place to find yourself, but it can be an even better place to lose yourself. I don't know this for sure, but I would venture to guess that anyone who has found them self in Detroit came close to losing them self.

Couple things you might want to know. Detroit is east of the Rockies.

Second, it's Wayne State University and while the education you'll get there, at least from the professional schools, is top notch the degree has limited value. I hate saying that, as I am proud Tartar [[we were Tartars before the communist PC machine that runs the school made them switch to Warriors) but sadly it's true.

Finally, come visit before you move here.

Nobody made WSU switch. They thought changing to Warriors would appeal to more students. Nothing PC about it, just stupid regents and leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by thatonegirl View Post
    I know its not very professional, but for now I'm not telling my parents. I want to be prepared and educated when I drop the ball, so I have to argue less and have less to prove. Thanks in advance, to all of you!!!
    Is there a particular reason why you've chosen Detroit? Had you considered other places? When you say you plan to hustle what exactly do you mean? Why are you keeping your plans from your parents? What kind of resources and advice are you looking for?
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; September-25-14 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Nobody made WSU switch. They thought changing to Warriors would appeal to more students. Nothing PC about it, just stupid regents and leadership.
    No, there was PC paranoia involved too. They thought using an ethnic group as a mascot was wrong. Though, they also mentioned that no one understood that the Tartars were undisputed badasses.

I'm so hesistant about giving advise to a such a young woman. I'v seen too many things go wrong with plans and methods like you have in mind.

Give things time unless there are extenuating circumstances present now.

There are much better college towns here in Michigan or the US for that matter.

Correspond with some people who live here for a while. Visit and see if it's for you or not. Visit during winter, especially. I've seen a winter in Detroit put people off this city for good, and I can't really blame them.

"What is a Tartar"? Lol. I remember a high school teacher who used to say the same thing about Purdue's Boilermakers.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    Detroit is a great place to find yourself, but it can be an even better place to lose yourself. I don't know this for sure, but I would venture to guess that anyone who has found them self in Detroit came close to losing them self.

Second, it's Wayne State University and while the education you'll get there, at least from the professional schools, is top notch the degree has limited value. I hate saying that, as I am proud Tartar [[we were Tartars before the communist PC machine that runs the school made them switch to Warriors) but sadly it's true.

While I very often disagree with GP, he is totally correct that Detroit is a fantastic place to find yourself, but equally as dangerous when it comes to losing yourself. You will meet all types of people, from all walks of life and get to experience all manner of things. Just make sure to keep your head straight, eyes on the prize of growing yourself to be a better human all around and enjoy your time here.

If you have any specific questions though, ask away. That's the best way for us to get you the info you want.

I thought the reason for the switch had to do with moving to division 1 in more sports? I can't believe there are enough Tartars [[a roving band of mongrels) left!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I thought the reason for the switch had to do with moving to division 1 in more sports? I can't believe there are enough Tartars [[a roving band of mongrels) left!
    Perhaps that's it or perhaps it was PC related. I just don't recall hearing of any PC related component. That's not to say there wasn't, I just didn't hear it.

If memory serves, they also paid a NY based marketing company to come up with the clever name 'Warrior's and the stupid 'W' logo. They could have done better by having it an open competition in DPD with the winner getting a 4 year scholarship.

Perhaps that's it or perhaps it was PC related. I just don't recall hearing of any PC related component. That's not to say there wasn't, I just didn't hear it.

If memory serves, they also paid a NY based marketing company to come up with the clever name 'Warrior's and the stupid 'W' logo. They could have done better by having it an open competition in DPD with the winner getting a 4 year scholarship.

At least it beats the Munies!

http://media.wayne.edu/1999/07/29/ws...letic-identity

Sixteen is awfully young to move out to Detroit. Finish high school first, WSU won't let you in without a diploma of some sorts.

Why on earth do you want to come here if in your own words its going to suck and be hard?
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-25-14 at 10:57 AM.

Moderator note.

Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread. Kindly address the newcomer to our forum with the respect the remaining posts in this thread do. If you have evidence of someone violating forum rules please use the report post icon , found at the bottom left of each post, to bring it to our attention.

Welcome to the DetroitYES forum thatonegirl. You sound like the type of person who would fit right in here in Detroit. You will learn a lot about it here. Detroit is rising, exciting, energetic and still inexpensive relative to most large cities and, like all of life, has its risks.

Wayne State is smack in the middle of that growing energy with tens of thousands of students who will be your age. It also is in the midst of the great art and cultural institutions of Detroit. If possible, you might want to consider establishing Michigan residency before entering WSU so that you can take advantage of instate tuition rates. It would also give you time to get grounded.

We have removed your email address to prevent it from being scraped by spammers. Now that you are a member of the forum, you can easily private message other members and share your email address within that privacy. Simply click "My Profile" at the top of the page then "Send Private" message on the profile page that appears. If you get a private message you will see a color-highlighted notice at the top of every thread.
    Last edited by admin; September-25-14 at 11:14 AM.

Hello, thatonegirl, and welcome! Reading your OP gave me some serious flashbacks. It has been a good long while since my time in angstland, but I do remember it well. The exciting thing is, everything ahead of you can be things you choose. So many choices! Detroit is only one of many. As others have said, Winter is a key point to understand. It can be pretty amazingly beautiful and pretty shockingly brutal at the same time. February is a great time to come for a week or so and truly get to know a Detroit winter. There are many things to do and see in February that get you out in the snow, or you can stay inside and enjoy some art, some sports, some theater, music, it's all here. What work are you thinking of to support yourself here?

Thank you to the Admin for bringing this discussion back to the beginning and helping out the orignal poster. There are some great people here who will be very informative and helpful.

You are much braver person that I ever would have been at 16 or 18 years old. To even consider moving that far away from family and to a large metropolitan area that was unknown to me is way outside my wheelhouse. I'm 65 now and still wouldn't consider it

You need to learn a lot more about our area before you move. Not only is the culture different, the weather is different, the people are very different and the pace of living is a lot faster. I have been to Arizona and I can say with certainty that it will be a shock to your sensibilities if you don't learn about these things first.

On the other hand, it is a great area to live in. My grandson attends Wayne and lives in the area. He is 20 and he loves it. There is much to learn here, much to see and do and many way to make your living.

I wish you happiness and good luck in your future.

thatonegirl, I'm from Detroit & have been to Flagstaff literally dozens of times so I too, am curious as to what grabs you about The D as they are nothing alike. You indicate you have no ties to the city, just identify it as Someplace Else. If your situation is terrible, try someplace laterally 1st, your interest seem skewered towards a college town, if you're thinking of Detroit then Phoenix could work for now-specifically Tempe. Otherwise, Tucson's a great place as well. If you need a quik place to crash, I've had friends work & stay @ the historic Hotel DuBeau Hostel there in Flag, but I've no idea if there's openings now

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    At least it beats the Munies!

http://media.wayne.edu/1999/07/29/ws...letic-identity

Sixteen is awfully young to move out to Detroit. Finish high school first, WSU won't let you in without a diploma of some sorts.

Why on earth do you want to come here if in your own words its going to suck and be hard?
    "She" said she wants to move when she turns 18. Presumably that means the move will happen after she graduates from high school.

College is a good excuse to move to a new city.

thatonegirl, if you still want to do it when you are 18, do it!

[[My advice to everyone attending a public university as an out-of-state student is to move to the state and live there for a year to establish residency so when you do go, you only pay in-state tuition, which is normally much lower than out-of-state tuition.)

It's a little chilly, so bring a coat.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    thatonegirl, if you still want to do it when you are 18, do it!

[[My advice to everyone attending a public university as an out-of-state student is to move to the state and live there for a year to establish residency so when you do go, you only pay in-state tuition, which is normally much lower than out-of-state tuition.)

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll wait a year or not. Here in Arizona for NAU the in-state tuition is more than the out-of-state tuition or Wayne University. I did see it gets cold in the winter, but it does here to in Flagstaff. The climate is pretty similar, so I'm looking forward to that. [[: Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post

Thanks, I am so surprised so many people were willing to help

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    thatonegirl, I'm from Detroit & have been to Flagstaff literally dozens of times so I too, am curious as to what grabs you about The D as they are nothing alike. You indicate you have no ties to the city, just identify it as Someplace Else. If your situation is terrible, try someplace laterally 1st, your interest seem skewered towards a college town, if you're thinking of Detroit then Phoenix could work for now-specifically Tempe. Otherwise, Tucson's a great place as well. If you need a quik place to crash, I've had friends work & stay @ the historic Hotel DuBeau Hostel there in Flag, but I've no idea if there's openings now
    The reason that they are two separate worlds, is what attracted me there. Thanks for the offer in Flag, but I live with my family now. I want to take some time away from them to think, and grow. I have a lot of responsibilities here that I shouldn't necessarily have, and that stifles me and my ability to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Thank you to the Admin for bringing this discussion back to the beginning and helping out the orignal poster. There are some great people here who will be very informative and helpful.

You are much braver person that I ever would have been at 16 or 18 years old. To even consider moving that far away from family and to a large metropolitan area that was unknown to me is way outside my wheelhouse. I'm 65 now and still wouldn't consider it

You need to learn a lot more about our area before you move. Not only is the culture different, the weather is different, the people are very different and the pace of living is a lot faster. I have been to Arizona and I can say with certainty that it will be a shock to your sensibilities if you don't learn about these things first.

On the other hand, it is a great area to live in. My grandson attends Wayne and lives in the area. He is 20 and he loves it. There is much to learn here, much to see and do and many way to make your living.

I wish you happiness and good luck in your future.
    Thanks! I am originally from L.A. so I understand living in a crowded fast-paced city. [[: I understand I need to research so that's why I'm starting so early, and educating myself on the area. I go back and forth. Some days I think I should stay back, and others days I KNOW I need to get out long enough to grow. Thank-you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Hello, thatonegirl, and welcome! Reading your OP gave me some serious flashbacks. It has been a good long while since my time in angstland, but I do remember it well. The exciting thing is, everything ahead of you can be things you choose. So many choices! Detroit is only one of many. As others have said, Winter is a key point to understand. It can be pretty amazingly beautiful and pretty shockingly brutal at the same time. February is a great time to come for a week or so and truly get to know a Detroit winter. There are many things to do and see in February that get you out in the snow, or you can stay inside and enjoy some art, some sports, some theater, music, it's all here. What work are you thinking of to support yourself here?
    Honestly, anything I can do to support myself. I'm a hard worker, and if it means food on my table that night or not, I will not be picky in selecting a job. I adapt really well so after a while and I get used to things, and work becomes easy. Something I would enjoy doing more than others would be cooking, I do all the cooking for my family now, but I love cooking. I've always thought being a maid for a hotel would be fun. I know that sounds a little silly, but I love cleaning. I love being able to do the same thing over, and over so I can get as close to perfect as possible. I also like to be on my own, with my own thoughts.
    I have read there is a lot going on in Detroit all the time, especially regarding the arts. I do plan on going out next spring break in 2016 for sure and visiting and maybe this summer.
    The climate there is pretty similar to winter here in Flagstaff. 80's in the summer, and low 20's in the winter with unpredictable wind and snow.
    Thank you so much!!! Sorry if I'm blabbing too much. [[:

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post

Flagstaff is at a high altitude in Arizona. It gets plenty cold there in the winter. She'll have a coat.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Moderator note.

Some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread. Kindly address the newcomer to our forum with the respect the remaining posts in this thread do. If you have evidence of someone violating forum rules please use the report post icon , found at the bottom left of each post, to bring it to our attention.

Welcome to the DetroitYES forum thatonegirl. You sound like the type of person who would fit right in here in Detroit. You will learn a lot about it here. Detroit is rising, exciting, energetic and still inexpensive relative to most large cities and, like all of life, has its risks.

Wayne State is smack in the middle of that growing energy with tens of thousands of students who will be your age. It also is in the midst of the great art and cultural institutions of Detroit. If possible, you might want to consider establishing Michigan residency before entering WSU so that you can take advantage of instate tuition rates. It would also give you time to get grounded.

We have removed your email address to prevent it from being scraped by spammers. Now that you are a member of the forum, you can easily private message other members and share your email address within that privacy. Simply click "My Profile" at the top of the page then "Send Private" message on the profile page that appears. If you get a private message you will see a color-highlighted notice at the top of every thread.
    Thanks. That email was my spam email one, the one I use for random stuff, thanks anyways. I'm so amazed that this many people are helping, let alone even bothered to read my post. I think I've said this before, but I'm originally from L.A so I understand busy. The tuition system is different but the in-state here is more that the out of state at Wayne. [[:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast