Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jolly Pumpkin Opening In Midtown

Another nice development for Midtown. I do wonder how many new breweries it can support, but this is cool nonetheless [[this coming from a Spartan that really enjoyed my experience at the Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor).

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...eader_comments

Default Jolly Pumpkin opening a bar in Midtown

More good news on the beer front! Opening early 2015.

DETROIT, MI - Jolly Pumpkin is opening a craft beer, spirits and wine bar in a 5,000-square-foot space at 441 W. Canfield in Midtown Detroit, the Northern United Brewing Company brand announced Tuesday.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...est_craft.html

Looks like I was a bit late with my thread :-) This is cool, Jolly Pumpkin is always very highly rated, and will bring the level of beer up in the city. That area is going to become a bit of a beer destination with Motor City, Traffic Jam & Snug, and Jolly Pumpkin, along with HopCat just around the corner.

Yep. That area is already quite busy and will be really busy once this is completed...

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...t-revealed.php

As a guy who scarcely drinks, I'm relatively underwhelmed at the proliferation of these places-- that they're new taxpaying businesses, fine. But beyond that, the totally-awesome! angle escapes me. What are craft beers?

Hypestyles, they will all have food as well [[at least I think jp will). Go for a great pizza at motor city or a sandwich at hopcat. The beer is the draw but the food is certainly better than any bs chain restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Hypestyles, they will all have food as well [[at least I think jp will). Go for a great pizza at motor city or a sandwich at hopcat. The beer is the draw but the food is certainly better than any bs chain restaurant.
    seriously.. the pizza at motor city brewing is probably my 3rd favorite pizza in the city [[Buddys & Supino's take the cake) ... but MCBW pizza is definitely the best in midtown/downtown

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    seriously.. the pizza at motor city brewing is probably my 3rd favorite pizza in the city [[Buddys & Supino's take the cake) ... but MCBW pizza is definitely the best in midtown/downtown
    Pie Sci, Supinos, MCBW are my top three. Honestly, food is also a big draw for me when it comes to beer places. They have lots of things that appeal to my "I would like to murder my body slowly with burgers and pork and other delicious things" lifestyle I try not to live but do anyhow.

I think what's most interesting is that the owners of Jolly Pumpkin/Northern United decided so quickly that since the Royal Oak location wasn't going to be available, that they were just going to go with Midtown. I really wish we could know if the oversaturation of bars and probably-going-to-be-ridiculous-rent played a factor too.

I am super excited for this area to become a hot spot for beer people. I've pretty much stopped drinking hard liquor and primarily drink beer, so these developments are straight up my alley. It's an exciting time for that side of town, and I am really looking forward to more development

Hypestyles, craft beer establishments are not a typical get hammered and hook up with a drunkie drunk type of bar. Craft beers are created and served for their flavors and quality. I myself love craft beers and have paired them with a dinner or ordered a tasting sampler. In a way, it's like enjoying a fine wine or doing a wine tasting if you're into that sort of thing. Now don't get me wrong, depending on the beer the ABV can be much higher than piss water like Miller Lite so it can kick your ass but when I frequent those places I am more into tasting the beer than getting hammered. I've been to the Hopcat in GR and it was more of a restaurant atmosphere since they serve entrees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    As a guy who scarcely drinks, I'm relatively underwhelmed at the proliferation of these places-- that they're new taxpaying businesses, fine. But beyond that, the totally-awesome! angle escapes me. What are craft beers?
    On the simplest level, craft beers come from small "microbreweries" as opposed to the mass-produced beers you see all over the country [[Bud, Miller, etc). These breweries typically emphasize quality brewing techniques ahead of selling large quantities, and thus result in a better product with more attention to detail. Basically, it's almost always higher-quality, better-tasting beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Maybe it's because you scarcely drink.

http://bit.ly/1psGN38

While I am very happy that another business has opened in the city. One more microbrewery with unbalanced/lousy beer is something I have no interest in patronizing. I have been quite fortunate to have been a patron of the The Tap Room for almost 40 years and have tried the beer selections from well over 1000 breweries from around the world, and all of the local microbreweries have a long way to go to find a that "balance" in their beers. Although there several individual beers that are showing promise lately.

As for the pizza in this city with exception of Supinos the rest including those mentioned above are low grade dog food. Especially Buddy's I would rather eat a Dominos box than the crap they mistakenly pass off as pizza!

you sound like a treat to go out with.

Haha, good one, southen. While I am happy for Jolly Pumpkin, I actually can't stand their beer. It's not that it's bad quality; it's that they make sour beers which I just can't handle. Even their stout is sour. I'll be at Hopcat even though it's opening one month later than expected [[oh, Detroit delays).....

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    While I am very happy that another business has opened in the city. One more microbrewery with unbalanced/lousy beer is something I have no interest in patronizing. I have been quite fortunate to have been a patron of the The Tap Room for almost 40 years and have tried the beer selections from well over 1000 breweries from around the world, and all of the local microbreweries have a long way to go to find a that "balance" in their beers. Although there several individual beers that are showing promise lately.

As for the pizza in this city with exception of Supinos the rest including those mentioned above are low grade dog food. Especially Buddy's I would rather eat a Dominos box than the crap they mistakenly pass off as pizza!
    Alright, what beer do you consider good? I'm genuinely curious because I have a feeling that you are part of the set that likes a very specific beer type that most people don't give two shits about.

I had some really good beers in London, but Ireland needs some work. Most of the pub employees/managers told me that the USA is WAY ahead of Europe on the craft beer scene. Pretty much every pub I went to had Guinness, Coors, Bud, Carlsburg, Smithwick's, and I even saw Pabst. Nothing local or with good ingredients. I found one pub out in the wilderness that made their own beer, and it was good but I'll put USA over them anyday.
    Last edited by dmike76; September-25-14 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I had some really good beers in London, but Ireland needs some work. Most of the pub employees/managers told me that the USA is WAY ahead of Europe on the craft beer scene. Pretty much every pub I went to had Guinness, Coors, Bud, Carlsburg, Smithwick's, and I even saw Pabst. Nothing local or with good ingredients. I found one pub out in the wilderness that made their own beer, and it was good but I'll put USA over them anyday.
    Well, Ireland isn't exactly the beer capital of Europe. Go to Germany, the Czech Republic, or Belgium and you'll probably feel a bit differently. Not to say the USA isn't right up there or ahead of them, but Ireland is like the Mississippi of Europe when it comes to beer.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Alright, what beer do you consider good? I'm genuinely curious because I have a feeling that you are part of the set that likes a very specific beer type that most people don't give two shits about.
    Not to mention the pizza. Sounds like he just has specific tastes, and thinks that anything not fitting them is "crap." To be fair though, while MI has some great breweries, Detroit's aren't exactly top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Sitting in my beer refrigerator at the moment are beers from:
    Duval
    Ayinger
    Bitburger
    Spatan
    Hacker-Pschorr
    Paulaner
    LaBatt
    Affligem
    Bell's
    Lion
    The beers run from lagers to wheats to stouts and ales, and probably they are beers most could care less about but then you cannot help the bad taste of the american public.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Not to mention the pizza. Sounds like he just has specific tastes, and thinks that anything not fitting them is "crap." To be fair though, while MI has some great breweries, Detroit's aren't exactly top notch.
    Spartan, you are unfortunate to have grown up with shitty pizza, I feel sorry for you. I grew with Lombardy's pizza, one of the myriad of excellent east side pizzarias. The only pizza in the city that compares to Lombardy's is Supinos, and the rest is absolute shit!

Spartan, you are unfortunate to have grown up with shitty pizza, I feel sorry for you. I grew with Lombardy's pizza, one of the myriad of excellent east side pizzarias. The only pizza in the city that compares to Lombardy's is Supinos, and the rest is absolute shit!
    So you confirmed exactly what I was saying. You like NY style pizza.

Sitting in my beer refrigerator at the moment are beers from:
    Duval
    Ayinger
    Bitburger
    Spatan
    Hacker-Pschorr
    Paulaner
    LaBatt
    Affligem
    Bell's
    Lion
    The beers run from lagers to wheats to stouts and ales, and probably they are beers most could care less about but then you cannot help the bad taste of the american public.
    Some of those are good, but still pretty pedestrian choices. It's like anti-beer snob snobbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So you confirmed exactly what I was saying. You like NY style pizza.
    Actually Neapolitan style.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Some of those are good, but still pretty pedestrian choices. It's like anti-beer snob snobbery.
    So the number one brewery in the world is pedestrian? What are you choices? Although you probably would not know a good beer if it bit you in the ass.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; September-25-14 at 01:33 PM.

So the number one brewery in the world is pedestrian? What are you choices?
    Volume of sales does not correlate to good: Are you implying that Bud Light is a good beer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast