Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is the Land Bank making a difference? does anyone notice ?

I was wondering . Since the landbank has been working with the city , are they making a difference and does anyone even notice ?

The short answer is yes.

They're buying off and auctioning off a ton of properties, so already something is happening. Here in East English Village, we've had three auctions already, and some of the homes are already being beautifully renovated. Some are not, yet. It remains to be seen how effective their enforcement of the renovate-in-6-months rule is.

That said, we've always been a more desirable area. Who is going to dump a bunch of money into a home at Mack and Bewick?

I think the Land Bank is the most strategic chance we've had yet to stabilize neighborhoods. It beats the hell out of the Wayne County tax auction, which auctions off all the tax-foreclosed properties to anyone, with no accountability, no code enforcement, and they don't even allow you to know the condition of the property or see it inside. It's like Wayne County is openly saying "We don't give a FUCK" Personally I'd be content if everyone in Wayne County government was dragged out into the street and shot like a dog, but that's for another time.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    The short answer is yes.

They're buying off and auctioning off a ton of properties, so already something is happening. Here in East English Village, we've had three auctions already, and some of the homes are already being beautifully renovated. Some are not, yet. It remains to be seen how effective their enforcement of the renovate-in-6-months rule is.

That said, we've always been a more desirable area. Who is going to dump a bunch of money into a home at Mack and Bewick?

I think the Land Bank is the most strategic chance we've had yet to stabilize neighborhoods. It beats the hell out of the Wayne County tax auction, which auctions off all the tax-foreclosed properties to anyone, with no accountability, no code enforcement, and they don't even allow you to know the condition of the property or see it inside. It's like Wayne County is openly saying "We don't give a FUCK" Personally I'd be content if everyone in Wayne County government was dragged out into the street and shot like a dog, but that's for another time.
    What would be your weapon of choice? There are so many to close from, it boggles. Anyways, keep us posted before you attempt this, please do. There are folks whose wives and husbands are concerned.

At least 2 and maybe 4 of the auctioned houses are are being visibly worked on in Marygrove.

I live on the right on the other side of Wyoming, but I take my morning walks/jogs around the different neighborhoods.

the EM plan to transfer 45,000 properties to the landbank has been dropped, according to the Free Press.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What would be your weapon of choice? There are so many to close from, it boggles. Anyways, keep us posted before you attempt this, please do. There are folks whose wives and husbands are concerned.
    Nail bat. Decisive but not for cowards. I'll keep you posted.

Seeing the claim is that Detroiters are apathetic voters and we have a bunch of inept crooks in Wayne county I can only conclude the people in suburban WC voted these fools in

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Nail bat. Decisive but not for cowards. I'll keep you posted.
    Good. I'm one of those unenthused about guns. I'll have to try the nail bat one of these days.