Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default City Clown-cil.......

Has anyone had the same thought that the reason the city is making even the littlest strides right now is because the city council has had most of their powers scaled back?
    It'll be interesting to see how things return to the "Detroit way" once the EFM is no longer running the show.

Actually, most of the clowns were already gone by the time the EM came in.

If... [[when?) the EM leaves-- or rather, gives the mayor/council back their traditional responsibilities, it remains to be seen whether certain members will be progressive and genuinely responsible for their respective constituencies [[of course, there are still two at-large councilpeople), or whether some will be self-serving and reactionary, frequently in the context of strident Afrocentric populism at the expense of common sense. I hope that the district neighborhood offices will provide some pragmatic feedback that gets to the councilpeople and that they're not just surrounded by sycophants.

Quote Originally Posted by F8Guy View Post
    Has anyone had the same thought that the reason the city is making even the littlest strides right now is because the city council has had most of their powers scaled back?
    Oh really? You have GOT to be kidding me...

I would have never guessed this myself...

Do people not even know we had an election a little while ago and voted in entirely new members?

I've thought the same thing. It has been a lot nicer watching the news over the past few months now that there are significantly less shots originating from the Council Chamber of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Do people not even know we had an election a little while ago and voted in entirely new members?
    And what does that have to do with anything?
    Those voted in were still taken from the same Detroit gene pool as before.
    I for one have enjoyed not hearing much out of the "Clown-cil" for a while. A guy can only take so much Onward Christian Soldiers out of an elected body in a lifetime......

And what does that have to do with anything?
    Those voted in were still taken from the same Detroit gene pool as before.
    I for one have enjoyed not hearing much out of the "Clown-cil" for a while. A guy can only take so much Onward Christian Soldiers out of an elected body in a lifetime......
    2008 is on the phone. They want their jokes back.

If the joke fits.......

Would have thought the group structure would have been significantly changed with the bankruptcy.....ex. same group/same results. Would have thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    But Kush smoked pot and the other guy drank and then drove his car and took a nap and oh my god animatedmartian it's like they're every day, run of the mill politicians instead of out and out crazy people!!

Let's remind ourselves: Joann Watson's general discourse in meetings, Martha Reeves singing Onward Christian Soliders mid meeting, Monica Conyers and all her deliciously Conyersy stuff like calling Ken Cockrel Shrek and accepting like $10k for a $1.2B deal, Kwame Kenyatta pulling a Sarah Palin, Charles "Diddle Those Young Adults" Pugh, there is so much more but so little time.

Things are VASTLY improved if George "Push for Kush" Cushingberry is the worst we have to deal with. I'll deal with a pot-smoking, strip-club-loving drunk who shows up to work and doesn't accept bribes over 5-10 years ago city council ANY day of the week.

If the joke fits.......
    Well, no, it doesn't fit. You obviously haven't been paying attention, and that's why you think it's the emergency manager making the difference.

So, um, yeah. Sorry. The council doesn't have the fools on it you're talking about anymore.

And as for that comment about Detroit's "gene pool" … I smell a Rizzo …

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Actually, most of the clowns were already gone by the time the EM came in.
    That might hav been so, but it seems like they also recruited a few more. Drunk driving, sleeping behind the wheel in the middle of an intersection [["I sware I'm nto drunk"), possession of marijuana, etc. Same ole same ole with these people.

They might be quieter now than good old Joann Watson, but I fear for the day these people actually have authorative power when the EM is gone. Who knows wtf is gonna go down when they don't have to play nice anymore.

I'd like to "hear" more from Gabe Leland, since he's my district's rep. Not for any misadventures or craziness, just, well, constituent interaction. A newsletter, something.

I'd say I don't think Cush or, to a lesser extent, Saunteel are upright. But they're not as bombastic as Reeves, Conyers, Collins, or Watson.

Leland is a joke. He "lives" in every district he runs in. Check how many times he has moved to a district he "resides" in to then run in the election. It's a joke.

What's his history of running for office in different places?
    Last edited by Hypestyles; September-23-14 at 11:44 AM.

Gabe has a history of it. That much is certain. In 2004, 22-year-old Gabe he listed his residency in District 10 by arguing that he lived at his father's friend's house.

According to those in the know, these kinds of "carpetbaggers" have taken advantage of Detroit for years.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Things are VASTLY improved if George "Push for Kush" Cushingberry is the worst we have to deal with. I'll deal with a pot-smoking, strip-club-loving drunk who shows up to work and doesn't accept bribes over 5-10 years ago city council ANY day of the week.
    This is an important point.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    That might hav been so, but it seems like they also recruited a few more. Drunk driving, sleeping behind the wheel in the middle of an intersection [["I sware I'm nto drunk"), possession of marijuana, etc. Same ole same ole with these people.
    They seem to have their head on straight, besides the things you mention above. Besides your above objections, what are you going on besides "heh, just wait until the EM gone to see how terrible all of this gets, heh" stuff that gets thrown around? I'm not holding the highest hopes, but this group has proved to be better on an almost aggressive level.

I'll deal with a pot-smoking, strip-club-loving drunk who shows up to work and doesn't accept bribes over 5-10 years ago city council ANY day of the week.
    Save for the pot-smoking, this would describe some past members that I'd bet the crowd here would consider great council people. Especially since they didn't come from that *ahem* bad "gene pool." Anyone remember ol' Jack Kelley?

They seem to have their head on straight, besides the things you mention above. Besides your above objections, what are you going on besides "heh, just wait until the EM gone to see how terrible all of this gets, heh" stuff that gets thrown around? I'm not holding the highest hopes, but this group has proved to be better on an almost aggressive level.
    I'll be honest Motz, not a whole lot. This group up to this point is decidedly better than the last group, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Willi Guest

Pretty sure that Orr will be kept around until the bankruptcy is completed.
    ""Cushingberry said keeping Orr on the job throughout the bankruptcy would ensure
    continuity and a smooth transition of power to the officials elected by residents.""

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Gabe has a history of it. That much is certain. In 2004, 22-year-old Gabe he listed his residency in District 10 by arguing that he lived at his father's friend's house.

According to those in the know, these kinds of "carpetbaggers" have taken advantage of Detroit for years.
    sigh... Then I really do need to get up out of here. I don't feel like going through another cycle of city drama. [[I can't take it anymore)...

I think there is a real danger that when Council has power back it might get into rows with the mayor, which will turn into an all-out war.

That said, the council isn't stellar by any means, but it is obviously vastly improved. Districts helped that, I think. Anyone who doesn't notice the difference isn't really paying attention and is just trolling.

I don't think this crop is necessarily corrupt, but most of them honestly don't seem all that bright. I don't have any high expectations from them, aside from staying out of the way. Council is the kids' table these days.

Never forget the leverage of the hammer. The state oversight board is not a rubber stamp. And if city council starts to veer too far off the reservation, the state will end that real quick by not approving the budget.

I think we are worlds away from 2008 where they couldn't get the Cobo deal passed....they just ok'd the DWSD deal by a 5-2 vote. So let's keep them on a short leash, but let's give them credit where it is due.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast