Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Groundbreaking midtown medical building. Maybe hammer & nail building staying put?

"The university says that the five-story, 153,000-square-foot medical office and parking structure for the Wayne State University Physician Group will replace an existing facility at 3750 Woodward Ave. that has become outdated."

the article specifically mentions replacing 3750, i believe the hammer and nail building has a different address. maybe i'm just an idiot though... who knows what their plans are...

currently looks like theres a five story building going right by the ellington, and a parking structure in the back along john R.. no mention of the hammer and nail

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l#incart_river

http://www.wsupgdocs.org/news-and-me...=1293&news=578

The project site, formerly known as the Professional Plaza, is owned by Midtown Project LLC. Wayne State University Physician Group, southeast Michigan’s largest physician organization, has been a tenant of the Professional Plaza for more than 12 years. The new building will serve as clinical and medical office space, replacing an outdated and undersized facility. The neighboring 12-story “hammer and nail” building is being independently developed.
    There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

oh wow! ok well that could be good. wonder what they're thinking of doing with it?

.........apartments/lofts? Arts space?

Will anyone recognize Woodward between the Fisher and MLKjr in 2017?

Hotel [[hopefully at Henry), arena, office building at Temple [[hopefully), and this big office building at MLK all on the west side of Woodward.

I count eight blocks between the Fisher and MLK and six of them will have a new building [[the arena accounts for two blocks, Sibley and Sproat).

Talk about a shot in the arm for the area!

If that doesn't encourage development of other blocks on Woodward, nothing will.

The Woodward, Mack and MLY Bvld. block was once as a place where DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS, bums, mutants hang out is now becoming a place where yuppies live.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The Woodward, Mack and MLY Bvld. block was once as a place where DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS, bums, mutants hang out is now becoming a place where yuppies live.
    Thanks Danny, we weren't sure

The good news is one project is actually two, the bad news is appears I missed a chance see a real live mutant. Wonder if they were the night of living dead kind or more world war Z

The smaller office building is being demo'ed this morning. Wouldn't be surprised if it is gone by end of day.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    The smaller office building is being demo'ed this morning. Wouldn't be surprised if it is gone by end of day.
    Aww man! I wanted to go to the Chinese Buffet one last time!

The Chinese buffet is still around, just a few blocks farther south

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Aww man! I wanted to go to the Chinese Buffet one last time!
    I believe they moved down the street.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...new-tenant.php

I'm praying for the Hammer & Nail building. I don't think it would be an altogether bad thing for Detroit to save a couple of '60s office building. The best cities have a little bit from every decade. As strange it sounds, I believe '60s kitsch will be almost as revered as Art Deco. In fact, you're already seeing people come around to the Mid-Century modern look. Sure, the '60s stuff tends to look shabbier if you don't upkeep it than the Art Deco stuff, but there's an undeniable coolness to that Space Age aesthetic when done right.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 12.39.41 PM.jpg
Views: 3792
Size:  47.0 KB

speaking of this development. i REALLY wish they would continue selden street between the hammer and nail building and those apartments right to the north of them...

this whole block [[Woodward to the west, John R to the east, Mack to the south, and Alexandrine to the north) is the DEFINITION of an unwalkable SUPER block... it's really bad for the areas connectivity and flow. Really hoping the developers are able to work something out with the apartments next door and have selden connect through from woodward to John R [[like the red arrow shows in the pic above)

they definitely have the room and the sidewalk of selden would be right up against the hammer and nail building.. would be really nice idea for the area/block

How wonderful that the 12-story building might be saved. Very happy to see better overall use of the site, though, the 1-story building with parking along Woodward was a visual disaster.

SpartanDawg-- excellent point about Selden and how huge that block is. Would be safer and overall better if Selden went through to John R.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I'm praying for the Hammer & Nail building. I don't think it would be an altogether bad thing for Detroit to save a couple of '60s office building. The best cities have a little bit from every decade. As strange it sounds, I believe '60s kitsch will be almost as revered as Art Deco. In fact, you're already seeing people come around to the Mid-Century modern look. Sure, the '60s stuff tends to look shabbier if you don't upkeep it than the Art Deco stuff, but there's an undeniable coolness to that Space Age aesthetic when done right.
    I've voiced my dislike for the building before, more out of a personal aesthetic taste, but I wouldn't mind if they kept it. I just want to see them make it look better than a kinda dumpy 1960s office building. They would also have to get the Hammer & Nail working, and make sure it KEEPS working.

I agree.... someone posted a view towards downtown from one of the upper floors of that building [[can't locate it again)... but the views of lower Woodward were absolutely stunning!! If the building is in good shape maintenance wise, then whatever they do to jazz it up would be welcome... either as commercial or residential. If it ain't broke... why should it be torn down?

So this is to be next door? I'm not clear on what all they're tearing down, and not.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...ound_on_6.html

i agree with nain about keeping buildings from different periods.
    Ive been chased all over that building. Unless im thinking of somewhere else those 2 buildings are connected underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    So this is to be next door? I'm not clear on what all they're tearing down, and not.
    They are only tearing down the one story building next to the Hammer and Nail

When the architectural renderings were done, it was assumed that both buildings would come down... which explains why you don't see the tall building in the schematics... But now it looks like 12 story building will/may remain. It appears to be in good condition, and would command some stunning views of the Woodward corridor... so why tear it down if it can be rehabbed for residential, or business use at a fraction of the price of a new build?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When the architectural renderings were done, it was assumed that both buildings would come down... which explains why you don't see the tall building in the schematics... But now it looks like 12 story building will/may remain. It appears to be in good condition, and would command some stunning views of the Woodward corridor... so why tear it down if it can be rehabbed for residential, or business use at a fraction of the price of a new build?
    Perhaps the powers that be are finally realizing that tearing everything down is not the answer!

Looks like demo prep and material removal is going on at the Hammer nail bldg.

Found a photo dated September 26th.

140926Detroit5233w by GeoJuice, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    Found a photo dated September 26th.

140926Detroit5233w by GeoJuice, on Flickr

it's completely gone at this point, and there's a huge hole in the ground, they're still doing site clean-up. They've very active though, working from about 8am every day to around 5pm..

I would guess we'll start seeing the skeleton start going up in bout 6 weeks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast