Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fix is on for 33 DPS schools

From The Detroit News

Thursday, July 30, 2009
    Fix is on for 33 DPS schools

Christina Stolarz / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Detroit Public Schools officials are spending millions this summer to enhance buildings that will receive students this fall from closed or consolidated schools.

The district's 2009 Summer Rush Program aims to use the $18.7 million left over from a 1994 bond, as well as $3.5 million in general funds to make improvements at 33 schools, district spokesman Steve Wasko said.

The projects include lighting upgrades, roof repairs, bathroom fixture and drinking fountain replacements, security system and signage upgrades and painting. Projects necessary for school to open will be completed by the end of August, while others will wrap up in the fall.

"We are preparing the receiving schools fully for new students, addressing all immediate quality-of-life issues, and making good on previous promises through previous closure programs," Wasko said. "Mr. [[Robert) Bobb, as part of this year's school consolidation process, made it an absolute priority that the schools that would be receiving students from closing or consolidating schools would face not only an improved environment but improved physical conditions as well."
    Wasko said an estimated $4 million is being spent this summer to upgrade bathrooms, playscapes and security at other schools.

Cody High School on Cathedral will receive slightly more than $1.8 million in improvements to address bathroom and roof leaks, buckling floor tiles, painting and broken exterior windows. Lighting will be added, aging urinals and drinking fountains will be replaced, security cameras will be upgraded and at least four science lab tables will be bought, principal Johnathon Matthews said.

Matthews said the improvements are necessities, not luxuries.

"Our children need to have a healthy atmosphere," he said. "We're very excited about the improvements to the building but we're equally excited about the change with the curriculum."

I wonder how it will be until they are trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I wonder how it will be until they are trashed.
    It depends on the principal. At the Detroit International Academy there are stuffed chairs, live plants, a huge fish tank and artwork thruout the halls. When the building was Northern High School the stuffed chairs, fish and art wouldn't have lasted the day.

I noticed Cooley wasn't on the list of schools being fixed. It's sad since the floor tiles in my room have been crumbling and coming up for some time. I also have a gaping hole in the back of my room that has been there since the beginning of time! I also have a flickering light that drives everyone nuts [[the bulb has been changed and it still flickers). I have one light switch that works the whole room. There are oodles of issues at Cooley that should be addressed...but at least we have a great Principal taking charge [[that is not sarcasm, he really is a good guy who is in it for the kids).