Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default One in four Americans want their state to secede from the U.S., but why?

Hmmm, we have been down this road before...

http://blogs.reuters.com/jamesrgaine...e-u-s-but-why/

From Reuters article:

Secession got more support from Republicans than Democrats, more from right- than left-leaning independents, more from younger than older people, more from lower- than higher-income brackets, more from high school than college grads. But there was a surprising amount of support in every group and region, especially the Rocky Mountain states, the Southwest and the old Confederacy, but also in places like Illinois and Kansas. And of the people who said they identified with the Tea Party, supporters of secession were actually in the majority, with 53 percent.

The question is, what do results like this mean for the country?

Maybe it isn't so much that some Americans want to secede as they feel that Washington has already seceded from Main Street.
    Last edited by oladub; September-20-14 at 09:30 PM.

I felt relieved to see that it's just the 'tea party' clutch that feel this way...... Not!

It's all about leadership. I remember feeling proud to be an American when Reagan was President. It's gone down the tubes since then until now it's just embarrassing.
    Last edited by coracle; September-21-14 at 06:54 AM.

That Reuters put this out there speaks to the broader US population concern beyond only the repubs.

Because one in four Americans is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Because one in four Americans is nuts.
    Just one in four? I enjoy your optimism.

America was actually founded by malcontents not happy with the situation[[s) they found themselves in their home countries. Once they got here, they weren't satisfied and held a Revolution. Still not satisfied they kept moving west to try and find a better place. Still not satisfied after all these years. No surprise. Let them go to Mars or the Moon next.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    America was actually founded by malcontents not happy with the situation[[s) they found themselves in their home countries. Once they got here, they weren't satisfied and held a Revolution. Still not satisfied they kept moving west to try and find a better place. Still not satisfied after all these years. No surprise. Let them go to Mars or the Moon next.
    Finally, a voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmmm, we have been down this road before...

http://blogs.reuters.com/jamesrgaine...e-u-s-but-why/

From Reuters article:

Secession got more support from Republicans than Democrats, more from right- than left-leaning independents, more from younger than older people, more from lower- than higher-income brackets, more from high school than college grads. But there was a surprising amount of support in every group and region, especially the Rocky Mountain states, the Southwest and the old Confederacy, but also in places like Illinois and Kansas.?
    so when are they leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    so when are they leaving?
    Once they have guarantees that they will still be protected by the US military, access to the existing infrastructure, the social safety nets in place, education system, etc, etc.

The politics [[both parties) and social attitudes and lack of fellow citizens in this country appalls me. But...after saying that, trying to ignore everything this country offers would be foolish.

Good point. Try living off the 'grid' for a while and the feds will be all over you, and most would be lost without a mobile phone for more than a half day!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Once they have guarantees that they will still be protected by the US military, access to the existing infrastructure, the social safety nets in place, education system, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Good point. Try living off the 'grid' for a while and the feds will be all over you, and most would be lost without a mobile phone for more than a half day!
    Half a day? People can't even go to the bathroom these days without their phone. A half day without their phone? They'd kill themselves!

^^^ I knew I was being generous there ......

Not going to happen. America has always and will be a free country under the guise of the U.S. constitution. Our laws are not made to be perfect, but its to protect us from harm. I'm glad that living a country that I have both civil and human rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Most nations of the Earth don't have those freedoms and human rights.

We have the right for press, media, religious and civil assembly.

We have the right to bear arms and form militia groups to civil defense.

We have the right to keep the military from occupying our homes and business without our permission.

We have the right to keep any law enforcement from searching our homes and businesses without a warrant.

We have the right for double jeopardy by means of due process.

We have a right to vote for any leader we want. Or recall that leader out of office.

We have a right to propose any taxation with a representative support.

With more civil rights and amendments added to our U.S. Constitution why secede? The South secede before because of tariff taxation and proposals to keep African-Americans [[negro) slaves. But they lost and came back to the union. Yes most people don't like how politics run, but its all part of democracy and majority rules by votes and its laws. I love the United States of America. I'm a true patriot. I will defend this nation with my life and die for this free country. God put me here and God will take me from here. If you folks don't like America, get out!

Default One In Four Americans Want Their State To Secede From The U.S., But Why?

One In Four Americans Want Their State To Secede From The U.S., But Why?

&

Last edited by guito13; September-22-14 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Interesting observation gazhekwe.

They can't get to 'Mars or the Moon' unless the Russians space team takes them...... so I guess we're stuck wid em!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-29-14 at 05:12 AM.

overbearing Federal government
    this is why the South seceded from the Union, not Slavery.
    This should be studied in public school but they do not want youth to understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    overbearing Federal government
    this is why the South seceded from the Union, not Slavery.
    This should be studied in public school but they do not want youth to understand this.
    This is wrong. I have a degree in History.

So you're not proud to be an American? Well that sucks for you, and you suck as a result. I'm proud to be an American every single day I walk outside and see Old Glory, and remember that I can worship how I like, speak my mind freely, assemble peaceably, vote in free elections, along with my neighbors no matter whatever their race, religion, creed, or gender. I would gladly die to defend those rights. Pitiful your love of country is so shallow it depends on who occupies the White House.

As for the Tea Party being secessionists, I always knew they were treasonous scum.

The reason only one in four want their State to secede from the Union is probably because the other three are already on some forms of Federal hand-outs.
    Last edited by coracle; October-12-14 at 06:43 AM.