Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Animated Visualization of the M1-Rail

Here is an M1 Rail puff piece that I found of particular interest for its animated visualization. It is an upbeat and flashy peek into the future.

Spotted via Alan Lengel on DeadlineDetroit

Nice, saw a similar video about a month ago, but this one is much better.

The integration is very well done.

Cool parking shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Cool parking shuttle.
    Except for those who live along the corridor, use the crosstown, or Amtrak.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Except for those who live along the corridor, use the crosstown, or Amtrak.
    Um, it's still a parking shuttle. It's nice that they're building a parking shuttle, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the framework for a future rapid-transit system.

As the old joke goes, if you say a cat's tail is really another leg, how many legs does a cat have?

Four. A cat has four legs. No matter what you call the tail.

The M1 Hispter Hauler a.k.a People Mover Part II. A $140M choo-choo to nowhere.

Oh Jesus, not this again...

Um, it's still a parking shuttle. It's nice that they're building a parking shuttle, but let's not kid ourselves that it's the framework for a future rapid-transit system.

As the old joke goes, if you say a cat's tail is really another leg, how many legs does a cat have?

Four. A cat has four legs. No matter what you call the tail.
    No you're wrong. You're completely wrong. You're so wrong, it's not even goddamned funny anymore. I get it, it's 3.3 Miles. Compared to most, it's nothing. But in a metro area FULL of SyGoldens, Hermods, Bhams, and Frank Rizzos, THIS IS AMAZING. This is better than the People Mover in almost every way. It's modern, it's tested and proven to work, IT ACTUALLY GOES SOMEWHERE; through the heart of Detroit between three booming neighborhoods. Oh, it doesn't go right to your doorstep at Romeo Plank and BFE Mile Rd? I'm sorry, maybe you should talk to your parents or grandparents why they moved out of the city. Oh it doesn't go to your house at Grand River and Evergreen or Gratiot and 7 Mile or Michigan and Livernois? Ok, then wait to see the popularity of this line and demand expansion.

This isn't a parking shuttle. A parking shuttle is usually a type of bus. This is a modern streetcar.

Modern streetcar meet Detroit, Detroit meet the modern streetcar. I think you two will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No you're wrong. You're completely wrong. You're so wrong, it's not even goddamned funny anymore. I get it, it's 3.3 Miles. Compared to most, it's nothing. But in a metro area FULL of SyGoldens, Hermods, Bhams, and Frank Rizzos, THIS IS AMAZING. This is better than the People Mover in almost every way. It's modern, it's tested and proven to work, IT ACTUALLY GOES SOMEWHERE; through the heart of Detroit between three booming neighborhoods. Oh, it doesn't go right to your doorstep at Romeo Plank and BFE Mile Rd? I'm sorry, maybe you should talk to your parents or grandparents why they moved out of the city. Oh it doesn't go to your house at Grand River and Evergreen or Gratiot and 7 Mile or Michigan and Livernois? Ok, then wait to see the popularity of this line and demand expansion.

This isn't a parking shuttle. A parking shuttle is usually a type of bus. This is a modern streetcar.

Modern streetcar meet Detroit, Detroit meet the modern streetcar. I think you two will be just fine.
    Pfft. The fact that you're so worked up about this suggests you really know the truth. What are we to do? Argue that this line is the backbone of a future rapid-transit system just because the region is so anti-transit? Nonsense. Because the region is so anti-transit, we are getting a parking shuttle that is not the backbone of a future rapid-transit system.

The rest of your entertaining response is beside the point.

That this is not a rapid transit system is obvious. The stops are spaced too closely. It uses curbside stops. Decent parking shuttle, meet Detroit. Detroit, meet decent parking shuttle. It is what it is.

DetroitNerd, you don't like it, stay away

You may have a point Dnerd about it being a shuttle in that it may be an appropriate definition for Detroit. It may have been conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac by Penske, Gilbert et al as a substitute for a real transit baby through downtown and the corridor. It may be that Detroit can't connect with the idea of mass transit anymore.

Nice try junior. Neither my parents, grandparents or great grandparents left Detroit. Nobody in my family has ever lived in that city. Obsessive detroitists like you need to understand that Detroit is not the center of the universe and quit trying to marginalize the opinions of those who don't live in your "urban" paradise. You cannot see the forest for the trees. Take off your graffiti covered rose colored glasses and take a good hard look at the reality south of Eight Mile Road from your suburban Royal Oak home.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-22-14 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You may have a point Dnerd about it being a shuttle in that it may be an appropriate definition for Detroit. It may have been conceived in the back seat of a Cadillac by Penske, Gilbert et al as a substitute for a real transit baby through downtown and the corridor. It may be that Detroit can't connect with the idea of mass transit anymore.
    A full-bore [[boar? boer?) transit system costs BILLIONS. No system starts as the BMT or the EL. Similarly sized and placed rails have been very successful in a number of cities. this one happens to connect two of the fastest growing areas in the state

It is boring and a waste of everyone's time for the same people to post the same comments expressing their same opinions every time a new piece of information comes out. We all know, and have known for a very long time, that: [[a) some of us like M1 Rail and think it's wonderful, and [[b) some of us don't like M1 Rail and think it's a waste of time and effort. Since we already know all of that, please don't post unless you have something new to add to the conversation. Repeating this same pointless debate for the fortieth or fiftieth time [[and I'm probably underestimating) is inane.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Nice try junior. Neither my parents, grandparents or great grandparents left Detroit. Nobody in my family has ever lived in that city. Obsessive detroitists like you need to understand that Detroit is not the center of the universe and quit trying to marginalize the opinions of those who don't live in your "urban" paradise. You cannot see the forest for the trees. Take off your graffiti covered rose colored glasses and take a good hard look at the reality south of Eight Mile Road from your suburban Royal Oak home.
    Says the person who's never had any connections with the city [[despite the fact your livelihood wouldn't be your livelihood with Detroit and her history). And it really does take a Grosse Pointer to say that Detroit isn't the center of the universe, only to probably believe nothing exists beyond Mack Ave. My dad's parents moved out in the 50s because they needed more room for their growing family. My mom's parents moved out in the late 60s because of the blacks. That's the truth. Those are very common reasons why people moved out. You don't think I know the effing truth? I'm somehow blind to the fact my grandmother's neighborhood in HP is completely gone. Hamilton Avenue looks like a warzone. I see it. I get it.

And obsessive suburbanists like you need to understand that without a central core to federate a feudal region that metro Detroit is, none of us will be successful. You can argue from your WASP Mansion that you've done just fine without the city. Well look around the past 40 years and you will see a stagnant region in terms of population and economic prosperity. Where is my generation going? Far, far away from here. Why? Because you. Because LBP. Because an urban core with it's vitality, vibrancy, and cosmopolitan way of life is more attractive than being on bland Hall Road and living in a cookie cutter house.

I'm not saying you can't live there. Go ahead, live there. But don't try to marginalize us, "Detroitists" [[thanks for the new term by the way! ) who want to see it become a real, functional city.

And no this isn't "rapid" transit, but it's transit Detroit hasn't see in nearly 2 generations. And I'll take it.

But go on SyGolden and say it..."Let them eat cake!"

Pfft. The fact that you're so worked up about this suggests you really know the truth. What are we to do? Argue that this line is the backbone of a future rapid-transit system just because the region is so anti-transit? Nonsense. Because the region is so anti-transit, we are getting a parking shuttle that is not the backbone of a future rapid-transit system.

The rest of your entertaining response is beside the point.

That this is not a rapid transit system is obvious. The stops are spaced too closely. It uses curbside stops. Decent parking shuttle, meet Detroit. Detroit, meet decent parking shuttle. It is what it is.
    Who is saying this is rapid transit? This is the beginning of mass transit.

Me being worked up means I'm sick of the bullshit people so ignorantly and arrogantly post here.

Says the person who's never had any connections with the city [[despite the fact your livelihood wouldn't be your livelihood with Detroit and her history). And it really does take a Grosse Pointer to say that Detroit isn't the center of the universe, only to probably believe nothing exists beyond Mack Ave. My dad's parents moved out in the 50s because they needed more room for their growing family. My mom's parents moved out in the late 60s because of the blacks. That's the truth. Those are very common reasons why people moved out. You don't think I know the effing truth? I'm somehow blind to the fact my grandmother's neighborhood in HP is completely gone. Hamilton Avenue looks like a warzone. I see it. I get it.

And obsessive suburbanists like you need to understand that without a central core to federate a feudal region that metro Detroit is, none of us will be successful. You can argue from your WASP Mansion that you've done just fine without the city. Well look around the past 40 years and you will see a stagnant region in terms of population and economic prosperity. Where is my generation going? Far, far away from here. Why? Because you. Because LBP. Because an urban core with it's vitality, vibrancy, and cosmopolitan way of life is more attractive than being on bland Hall Road and living in a cookie cutter house.

I'm not saying you can't live there. Go ahead, live there. But don't try to marginalize us, "Detroitists" [[thanks for the new term by the way! ) who want to see it become a real, functional city.

And no this isn't "rapid" transit, but it's transit Detroit hasn't see in nearly 2 generations. And I'll take it.

But go on SyGolden and say it..."Let them eat cake!"
    Your online hissy fit speaks volumes about your character and your mindset. I would like to revisit this conversation with you in ten years or so when you have hopefully grown and matured. Until then, if you want to leave the area all I can say is "buh bye". May you find some place that fits your present overly emotional world view. And by the way, young man, I am not a WASP. I am Jewish. Shalom, my friend!

And by the way; if you're so pro-Detroit and Brooks is so evil why don't you leave Oakland County and go rent a flat at E Warren and Conner or at Evergreen and Fenkell? Let's see what your mindset would be after living in one of those areas for six months. Don't want to do that? Then just keep on being an online pseudo-urban Detroit poseur superhero from your home base in Royal Oak.

Once again, Shalom, my friend!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-22-14 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    It is boring and a waste of everyone's time for the same people to post the same comments expressing their same opinions every time a new piece of information comes out. We all know, and have known for a very long time, that: [[a) some of us like M1 Rail and think it's wonderful, and [[b) some of us don't like M1 Rail and think it's a waste of time and effort. Since we already know all of that, please don't post unless you have something new to add to the conversation. Repeating this same pointless debate for the fortieth or fiftieth time [[and I'm probably underestimating) is inane.
    Cool vid, but have to agree with the above. Every time the subject comes up same people same points. Next!

Very cool. Thanks, Lowell.

Your online hissy fit speaks volumes about your character and your mindset. I would like to revisit this conversation with you in ten years or so when you have hopefully grown and matured. Until then, if you want to leave the area all I can say is "buh bye". May you find some place that fits your present overly emotional world view. And by the way, young man, I am not a WASP. I am Jewish. Shalom, my friend!

And by the way; if you're so pro-Detroit why don't you go rent a flat at E Warren and Conner or at Evergreen and Fenkell? Let's see what your mindset would be after living in one of those areas for six months. Don't want to do that? Then just keep on being an online pseudo-urban Detroit poseur superhero from your home base in Royal Oak
    LMAO!!! God, you're so arrogant. All my life I've been quite mature for my age, thank you. We all continue to grow though through life. My "hissy fit" has been pretty mature and well written. You refuse to even accept the fact that Detroit is becoming the center of metro area again, as it should be, and needs great investment, like M-1 Rail, to become a functional city again.

Just because I am pro-Detroit, doesn't mean I'm not a realist. A pro-Detroiter doesn't have to live at E Warren and Connor or Evergreen and Fenkell. And my mindset would probably be the same. This area needs: better police & fire presence/response, a better education system, and access to basic city services like lights and transportation. Tell me I'm wrong. And gosh, I didn't have to live there!

Congrats you're Jewish, don't care. But your ZIP code is historically WASP. I know it's hard to be called out for being a Detroit obstructionist.

Me, a superhero? You're too generous. I'm far from being a "Detroit poseur surperhero", whatever any of that means. I'll probably be moving due to grad school within the year. Peace, brotha!

I'm definitely not sorry for my passion for transit and transit issues. Not sorry that it rubs off as a "hissy fit" or "emotional", that's what happens when you have a passion, you get emotional when ignorance is spouted about it.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-22-14 at 08:55 PM.

I'm definitely not sorry my passion for transit and transit issues. Not sorry that it rubs off as a "hissy fit" or "emotional", that's what happens when you have a passion, you get emotional when ignorance is spouted about it.

Shalom, young man. Look me up ten years from now. We'll meet over lunch at the club and talk. My treat. I am done with you for tonight. You and I will not come to an agreement. Good night son.

And, there is no need to congratulate me on being Jewish. I was born that way. But thanks for the snarky comment.
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; September-22-14 at 09:10 PM.

Shalom, young man. Look me up ten years from now. We'll meet over lunch at the club and talk. My treat. I am done with you for tonight. You and I will not come to an agreement. Good night son.
    I look forward to it but don't patronize me, that's not very mature. Maybe we can take the tram to get there? Good night!

OK, now I'm confused. The pix the local news keeps using show the streetcars going down the middle of Woodward. This video shows them running next to the curbs, which I think is a much better idea because with the stations in the middle of the street, you know people will run out into traffic to try and catch the train.

This video shows the tracks in the middle of the street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBV9S3tVa4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast