Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I got a j-o-b!

Default I got a j-o-b!

Greetings and salutations ya'll!
    After searching for over a year, I have finally found employment. I have been working for 3 weeks now for a company that does telephone solicitations for various charitable organizations. Kids Wish Network, Fireman's Fund, VFW, Cancer Research Fund, Animal Rescue, etc, etc, etc. It doesn't pay much but it's better than zero an hour! I''m still looking for something more lucrative but for now I am content. Secretly, [[don't tell anyone) AT&T is looking for qualified people to work during the upcoming strike. There will be another work stoppage in August as well as tomorrow night...........you didn't hear this from me.

Yes indeedy, if you want to be a scab, sign right up. Be part of the problem, not the solution!

Congrats, The Ed.

Congrats and good luck

Congrats on finding work Ed!

detmich Guest

Give the guy a break ORF, he's been out of work for a year.

Moderator please cross post to, oh never mind.

Congrats on the job.

No congratulations for scab work, sorry.

I didn't see anything in his post saying he crossed a picket line. He just passed on some info that he had heard.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-03-09 at 05:48 PM.

He's not working for ATT, he shared a tip.

Ed, I'm happy you got a job. I hope nobody takes your advice and becomes an ATT scab.

Are we clear now?

Congratulations, ED! It is not easy. I know.

Quote: "I hope nobody takes your advice and becomes an ATT scab."

Living in the past. I don't see the problem, he's working. Those old days of having an abundance of jobs and slim pickings in the available workforce are long gone, for now anyways.

Congrats by the way.

ccbatson Guest

Scabs that help to restore a competitive environment for American companies are not the villains, but the heros.

Ravine Guest

Hush, Cc! We're trying to keep from facing the fact that greedy unions are nearly as culpable in today's catastrophic state of affairs as are management & owners!
    And congrats to Ed.

ccbatson Guest

Bravo Ravine...a courageous and unpopular admission regarding Unions.

As to owners and management....it is their property [[intellectual and otherwise) to do with as they please.

Only eight new entries to Michigan Talent Bank today.

Congratulations, Ed!

Btw, do whatever you need to do. If you see work that others are refusing, after 1 year with no money $, I wouldn't blame you one bit for going for that paycheck.

Our retirement fund has lost half and falling, our house is pretty much worthless. We've had pay cuts and a steep increase in our health insurance cost. We've lost 1/2 of our vacation all of our personal days [[there were only 3, but still) and after all that, you know what?

We are grateful to still be working.

The unions should realize that striking in these economic times, is not a good tactic and will likely backfire. Too many qualified people without work for too long.

Good luck, Ed!

I'm making 8.50 an hour now as a licensed telephone solicitor.
    AT&T will pay me 27.50 an hour. I did the math and, if I have to,
    I'll wear a peroxide suit to make 27.50! Scab or no scab. These days are tough
    all over and for people to strike when the economy is low because they want an
    extra sick day or two doesn't make for a happy work environment. I'll be a scab as long as I can keep my house and feed my family.

Another guy should be along shortly to take your solicitor job for $7.50/hour so that he can feed his family.

Quote Originally Posted by the ed View Post
    I'm making 8.50 an hour now as a licensed telephone solicitor.
    AT&T will pay me 27.50 an hour. I did the math and, if I have to,
    I'll wear a peroxide suit to make 27.50! Scab or no scab. These days are tough
    all over and for people to strike when the economy is low because they want an
    extra sick day or two doesn't make for a happy work environment. I'll be a scab as long as I can keep my house and feed my family.
    You don't have to explain to anyone what you need to do to take care of you and your family. Congrats. I would have done the same damn thing.

I was told that the pay is closer to $11.00 per hour, and that $27.00 per hour is from the past. No matter, to strike now might get the same results that the Newspaper Guilds got when they went out. The AT&T workers should bite the bullet now, so that they can continue in better times.
    I've been out of work since November, 2007, when my employer moved to Mexico [[wages: $17.50 per day) and India [[wages: 85 cents per hour), except for a few months with another supplier last fall. Until we achieve a REAL fair trade policy, unions and American workers cannot compete.
    Our standard of living will continue to collapse. Ultimately, we will have to contract with other countries quickly for defense work before we will be able to respond to a crisis. Sort of the Mouse That Roared, in reverse!
    And this was done by our corporations, bankers, and elected officials, without a shot fired!

AT&T will pay me 27.50 an hour. I did the math
    Unless that's the total benefit package with wages included, than something sounds off. People with graduate degrees are taking part time jobs at $10 an hour.

And what is the license for a telemarketer ?

Otherwise, congratulations.

ccbatson Guest

Fascinating, liberals discarding union loyalties in favor of free market forces for labor. I, for one, am pleased with the change of heart by liberals...keep going in that direction.

When I started working for this place I signed a licensing form which stated that
    signing this makes me a licensed telephone solicitor. The cost was 25 bux which, apparently the company pays for. I haven't received any documentation yet but
    I signed it!!!!!!
    As far as the AT&T pay, 27.50 is correct for work stoppage employment. That's what
    the managers make during a work stoppage and that's what they will pay. I was
    informed that another work stoppage may take place in August.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast