Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Work on the Packard Has Begun!

In the words of the comic genius Leslie Nielsen, 'I just want to say good luck; we're all counting on you.'

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2014/0...iconic-bridge/

1. Work has begun on the Packard Plant.

2. Hell has officially frozen over.

Excavator arrived today.

Pictures from https://www.facebook.com/packardplantproject

From the Packard Plant Project Facebook Page:

Anyone interested in a community meeting to hear more about the historic rehabilitation of the Packard Plant in person? If so, we hope you can join us on November 6 at 6pm, 1745 East Grand Blvd. at the Holy Ghost Cathedral [[former Packard Showroom, Kahn design). We will discuss job creation, general timeline, master plan development and answer some of your questions. Hope to see you there. This is a free event and is open to the public.

https://www.facebook.com/packardplantproject

Hopefully they have a very clear, very well thought out plan for what needs to be demolished. I can only imagine a foreman telling a crane operator to not demolish anything salvagable and coming back from lunch with half the plant on the ground.

On a second note, why the hell does it seem like a lot of major projects start on a Friday? Wouldn't you wait until Monday to roll this out? I've seen this more than a few times with a project starting on a Thursday or Friday afternoon. Anyone know why?

M-1 started on a Monday and my heart stood still. Da doo run run run da do run run.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Hopefully they have a very clear, very well thought out plan for what needs to be demolished. I can only imagine a foreman telling a crane operator to not demolish anything salvagable and coming back from lunch with half the plant on the ground.

On a second note, why the hell does it seem like a lot of major projects start on a Friday? Wouldn't you wait until Monday to roll this out? I've seen this more than a few times with a project starting on a Thursday or Friday afternoon. Anyone know why?
    It's so that folks can go party after the ground breaking and not have to go to work the next day with a super bad hangover.

The city of Detroit said it inadvertently still owns a key parcel of land on a 40-acre former automobile factory site sold to a developer in 2013.

http://latinbusinesstoday.com/2014/0...t-car-factory/

This was from March when it was said that Cristini was blackmailing for the parcels the he still owned when it was the city and Cristini that still owned parcels that were key and not part of the auction,so now it has been stated that everything has been cleared up.

What happened to the key parcels that the city owned and were not included in the auction or are they up for auction again or gifted by the taxpayers to the cause?

Why was the blackmail call out there when it was the city that owned the key parcel?

This is great news!

There are also rumors that Moroun might put in a couple more windows into MCS this month!

They should raze everything that's not structurally sound and clean out all the overgrowth/random trees/weeds, etc.

They have a FB page that they are updating fairly regularly. Kudos on this project.

I hear Cranbrook is dumping their old place and moving to the Packard Plant. They figure they can make millions off of tearing it down and putting up condos, a house of blues, and a cheesecake store.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    M-1 started on a Monday and my heart stood still. Da doo run run run da do run run.
    Packard started Friday and I got a thrill, [[everybody) Da doo run run run da do run run......

Packard is clean! Well, cleaner than it has been in many years, at least.

https://www.facebook.com/packardplan...39743882828901

a lot more work needs to be done. I hope the new owner follows through and finds co-investors.

Get ready for "Brick Mansions"!
    Last edited by Wheels; November-26-14 at 07:02 PM.