Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Homecoming

I'm a bit surprised that this conference is not being discussed yet on DYes.

People have linked to comments about a second Whole Foods, or a City Target that originated at the conference, but not about the conference itself.

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...g#.VBr5ifldWSq

http://www.detroithomecoming.com/app...ype=homecoming

Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; September-18-14 at 10:36 AM.

Default Warren Buffett: I'm Ready To Buy In Detroit [At Detroit Homecoming Event]

This will be very interesting to track. A lot of good news around here recently...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20140918/NEWS/140919677/warren-buffett-tells-crains-im-readuy-in-detroit

Heh, during his talk with Dan Gilbert at the Homecoming conference, Buffett said "if you're willing to unload half of your downtown real estate, I'll buy it at whatever your price" or something along those lines. Couldn't really tell how serious he was about it, but overall Buffett seems pretty upbeat on Detroit especially post-bankruptcy.

"He's so enthusiastic that he said he's ready to invest his own money if he finds a suitable company." - 11/26/13 Maybe there is someone on this site who has some inside info but I have yet to see any major investment. It would certainly be interesting to see him invest in something local but I doubt he would talk up the price of an investment prior to buying it. Then again he's The Oracle so there has to be some sort of reason for these statements.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...loans/3747649/
    Last edited by TTime; September-18-14 at 03:21 PM.

Hint - make the Lions an offer they cannot refuse - hint.

Will Danny have to help forge a new district named Buffetville? How many jokes will we be able to make about it? Can we name the residents and workers Parrotheads? All this and more in 2015 Detroit

Here are some pictures from Crain's.

This is a major gathering of the power elite of Detroit and beyond.

This morning I watched parts of CNBC's Morning Joe show which was coming from Wayne State University auditorium. Along with Buffet, former NYC Major and multi-billionaire, Michael Bloomberg and the President of Goldman Sachs were there. Dan Gilbert is still small change in that crowd, but his shadow is far larger over this event.

Great attention for a great and rising city!

Interestingly it was presented in the gorgeous atrium of the Whitney Building seemingly now restored. [Pic from Crain's]

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Here are some pictures from Crain's.

This is a major gathering of the power elite of Detroit and beyond.

This morning I watched parts of CNBC's Morning Joe show which was coming from Wayne State University auditorium. Along with Buffet, former NYC Major and multi-billionaire, Michael Bloomberg and the President of Goldman Sachs were there. Dan Gilbert is still small change in that crowd, but his shadow is far larger over this event.

Great attention for a great and rising city!

Interestingly it was presented in the gorgeous atrium of the Whitney Building seemingly now restored. [Pic from Crain's]
    Maybe you were there too Lowell but that atrium also looked pretty good at MGM's opening party back in the day. It was quite a spectacle and most likely the last major event in The David Whitney Building prior to this.

BTW, where was Mitt Romney? Just asking.

Isn't he an expat and wealthy?

If you want in Warren how about buying out the slum lord you sold the bridge to?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, where was Mitt Romney? Just asking.

Isn't he an expat and wealthy?
    He didn't even bother keeping the family home in Palmer Woods from falling into ruin and being torn down.

That Great Guy Guest

buy SMART and DDOT for a Buck each.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Will Danny have to help forge a new district named Buffetville? How many jokes will we be able to make about it? Can we name the residents and workers Parrotheads? All this and more in 2015 Detroit

​OOOHHH!! I can't wait to see those snobby rich folks turn Detroit into the own personal playground.

anonJD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    "He's so enthusiastic that he said he's ready to invest his own money if he finds a suitable company." - 11/26/13 Maybe there is someone on this site who has some inside info but I have yet to see any major investment. It would certainly be interesting to see him invest in something local but I doubt he would talk up the price of an investment prior to buying it. Then again he's The Oracle so there has to be some sort of reason for these statements.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...loans/3747649/
    Exactly. Talk is cheap, especially when the guy was likely paid a large appearance fee to be here.

anonJD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    He didn't even bother keeping the family home in Palmer Woods from falling into ruin and being torn down.
    Do you own and maintain your childhood home? I didn't know that was a "thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ​OOOHHH!! I can't wait to see those snobby rich folks turn Detroit into the own personal playground.
    Were going to be Nantucket? Sweet I like the ocean and the seafood! Can't wait

Maybe Buffet is so pro Detroit he can just donate a few billion. He'd only have like, oh what, $80 billion left? Go the philanthropic route like his pal Bill Gates.

Then again, there's probably people in the city that would view the gift as a hostile act of aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Maybe Buffet is so pro Detroit he can just donate a few billion. He'd only have like, oh what, $80 billion left? Go the philanthropic route like his pal Bill Gates.

Then again, there's probably people in the city that would view the gift as a hostile act of aggression.
    Warren Buffet donates a ton of money every year; unfortunately it hasn't yet been directed Detroit's [[or Michigan's) way from what I can tell. He has also pledged to
    pretty much give it all away and not simply pass it along to his heirs.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    No, but if I were a gazillionaire I'd shoot a few bucks towards my struggling hometown, and if my childhood home had become a blight on an otherwise great neighborhood I might take some pocket change to help the old 'hood. But then again I wouldn't be a vulture capitalist, so I'm not counting my millions. Nobody should hold their breath waiting for Willard Romney to do anything other than fund some Mormon missionaries.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; September-19-14 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Warren Buffet donates a ton of money every year; unfortunately it hasn't yet been directed Detroit's [[or Michigan's) way from what I can tell. He has also pledged to
    pretty much give it all away and not simply pass it along to his heirs.
    Maybe Warren could donate money for a new bus ad school for Wayne State on Woodward and one for EMU, too.

Quote Originally Posted by anonJD View Post
    It's only a Romney thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    ...Then again, there's probably people in the city that would view the gift as a hostile act of aggression.
    Fortunately, they lost
    their council seat power in the hostile state bankruptcy takeover, so we need not worry about their opinions.

Buffett needs to buy/open something before I believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Buffett needs to buy/open something before I believe him.
    You needs to buy/open something before I believe you. You cry a lot about what someone else needs to do, but oh well, that is what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Hint - make the Lions an offer they cannot refuse - hint.
    Maybe buffet could buy the Pistons and move them to Detroit