Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    lilpup Guest

positives to build on:

Stafford got sacked less than most recent Lions QBs

The team didn't quit by the third quarter

After falling behind early they pretty much answered all of NO's scores [[NO was the NFL's no. 1 offense last year)

bad news: no ground game - 33 yards rushing - ouch
    Last edited by lilpup; September-13-09 at 09:57 PM.

How about some more negatives;
    -The defense is horrible. Teams are going to have a field day running against this team, No pass rush either, Brees almost sets a record for TD's.
    This is what happens when you waste your first 2 draft choices on offensive players instead of filling the most important needs that your team has. Defense wins championships not rookie quarterbacks.
    Millen may be gone but they blew this years draft anyway.
    -Staffords interceptions. Yeah, he's a rookie but you could have gotten a decent showing from Culpepper while building up your defense.
    The Lions wil be lucky to win two games this year, what an improvement.
    The NFL is a great league but we get stuck with these losers. Thank God for fantasy football.

Thank God for fantasy football
    The fantasy quarterback vs the Lions always has a good week.

William Clay has a fantasy football team, he thinks he can make winners.
    We play fantasy football,
    William Clay tries to play real football.

Another long season, but I will be watching.

I'll try to be realistic here playing Monday afternoon quarterback.

I honestly didn't think the Lions had much of a chance winning against a near Super Bowl contended in New Orleans this week. Drew Brees is just that good of a QB. He carved up the Detroit secondary because we're just that thin back there and the defensive line just couldn't get to him to cause any sort of pressure. I'm also going to speculate that this will be a trend a good amount of this season as well. Until we run up against a battered or weak offensive line somewhere [[I'm going to assume St. Louis), the other team's QBs will have a field day. Defensively this team is just piss poor with the few bright spots being the linebackers.

Offensively we already know that Stafford's going to make his fair share of mistakes. He just doesn't have the talent around him yet. The other team is going to double and triple team Calvin Johnson and force Stafford to dump it off short. In regards to the New Orleans game, the biggest disappointment was that the offensive line couldn't break out many holes for Kevin Smith to bust through- although they did protect Stafford to the point of only one sack [[celebrate this now...wooo!). I was also disappointed in seeing very little of tight end Brandon Pettigrew- unless he produces something, it's going to turn into a wasted draft pick.

Bright spots for me were seeing Louis Delmas' football sense and his spirited play & fumble return, Aaron Brown's returns, and oddly Schwartz' calm demeanor after this game. I think the coach knows he's in over his head at the moment facing off against New Orleans. He didn't seem to come across as abrasive as a Rod Marinelli or as buffoonish as a Marty Morninweig; could he have done better? Sure, but I think he knows he's got less than stellar talent on this team. He knows he's in for at least a few more years of rebuilding- but it was nice to see that the team seemed to stay competitive and honestly seemed to try hard even into the third quarter [[something that a Marinelli coached team just failed to do).

Realistically, it's not going to be a great season for this team. I'm honest about my expectations. If we do good, it's a blessing. If we do poorly, I'll understand. But I'll still cheer for this team because they are our hometown team and that's not to say they won't frustrate me to tears either.

At crucial times in the game when a play needed to be made, on offense and defense, the Lion's could not pull through. This is the most frustrating part for me. You watch other games and see teams make plays at opportune moments, and wish the Lion's could too. But I'll keep cheering them on as well, and watch all the games. If they are blacked out I'll watch online cause I got it that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    At crucial times in the game when a play needed to be made, on offense and defense, the Lion's could not pull through. This is the most frustrating part for me. You watch other games and see teams make plays at opportune moments, and wish the Lion's could too. But I'll keep cheering them on as well, and watch all the games. If they are blacked out I'll watch online cause I got it that bad.
    Can't get frustated! The Lions simply don't have enough talent on their roster especially foundational talent [[ offense and defensive lines) to be consistantly competitive. They are what they are !

Whats worse is when the marginal talent starts to get hurt around the 7th or 8th week the backups will be dreadful.

I feel sorry for Stafford. He is being set up for failure. I'm afraid you will see a lot of picks from him over the course of the year. With no running game to speak of and a so-so O-line, hopefully his confidence won't get smashed like Joey H.

Some say that, "The past, is a good indication of the future". With Ford as the owner, look at the past.

NFL Players Mentor Troubled Detroit Lions

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...entor_troubled

I'm looking for back to back 0-fer seasons.

lilpup Guest

I think Stafford gets mentally tired by the second half and it affects his decision making. Culpepper should probably play the second halves.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I think Stafford gets mentally tired by the second half and it affects his decision making. Culpepper should probably play the second halves.
    I think you make a great point, however the Lions committed to Stafford at the start of the season as the starter [[ which I felt was the wrong move) so we are going to ride the ups and downs. Stafford is talented but he's a gunslinger also. He thinks he can just make plays and throw the ball anywhere he wants. He will need to learn how to be a game manager, so while he's learning just be prepared to see a whole bunch of interceptions this year

Mr. Ford, please sell this team. How long must we suffer?

Schwartz says today that Stafford is the QB, in spite of 5 int., in 2 games. That's because W. Ford is making that call, not Schwartz. The ghost of Joey Harrington, has arrived. Stafford may get ruined for life? The lions are Ford's toy, and it's his team to do what he say's.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Schwartz says today that Stafford is the QB, in spite of 5 int., in 2 games. That's because W. Ford is making that call, not Schwartz. The ghost of Joey Harrington, has arrived. Stafford may get ruined for life? The lions are Ford's toy, and it's his team to do what he say's.
    I'll be the first guy to say that under William Clay Ford, the Lions have been miserable. That's just sheer fact based upon the number of wins put up. For us to bark up that tree where we need to get rid of old man Ford is a joke though. We have a better chance of asking for 25¢ a gallon gasoline. He owns the team, makes some decent money on the team, is part of a rich guys' fraternity, and quite frankly shouldn't sell the team from an economic standpoint. Would you if you were in his shoes?

Now for all of the people that somehow think Ford is up in his suite calling down to the sidelines telling Schwartz what plays to call and whom to play- I'd like to see some proof of this. If one has any measure of respect for Jim Schwatz [[I do so far) and his intellect, I doubt if Jim Schwartz would've taken this gig if he knew he had a meddling owner. I'm exceptionally thankful that we don't have an Al Davis sort of owner when it comes to control. I'd be willing to bet that Ford Sr. has some input but when it comes right down to it, I'd still be willing to bet that it's the head coach's call. If anything we can fault Ford for, it's his faith and undying loyalty to buffoons like Russ Thomas and Matt Millen. Those are the two main architects that have built this shoddy house of straw to which we fans have to endure the cold.

Again, if anyone has proof that Ford made the call over Jim Schwartz to start Matthew Stafford over Culpepper, I'd like to hear it or see it. Again, I'm not saying he isn't without influence but if there is any sliver of where Schwartz was blatantly over ruled- I'd like to see it. Until then, we will have to put some of our immediate faith in this team if we're still fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Some say that, "The past, is a good indication of the future". With Ford as the owner, look at the past.
    Agreed, I have been saying to family and friends along with others I am sure that as long as Ford owns this team it will never be a winner. On the other side, why would Ford ever sell it since it makes money.

The Detroit Lions - The NFL's Worst Defense, Ever
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...233493218.html

Whaddaya know?

The streak is over. After suffering nearly 21 months of having to carry the Losing Streak Monkey on our backs, that accursed thing is finally off.

Does this mean we're well on our way to a Super Bowl? HECK NO! But that being said, I did see a few things good come of this game besides the end of the streak.

1) Stafford's learning. One can't replace experience and any time this kid can get into those pressure situations and do somewhat well, it's good for the franchise. He wasn't perfect and not the second coming of Joe Montana but he notches his first W in the NFL.

2) The team's ability to march down the field. After getting some pretty horrific field position the first half, the Lions moved down the field somewhat confidently and didn't turn the ball over and implode. What shocked me at times was actually the Nick Harris punts which weren't of the pinch the other team back variety. But they managed the ball well for the first half.

3) Team defense that swarms. They seem to get to the ball en masse this season and actually tackled a LOT better than any of the Marinelli coached teams.

4) Schwartz didn't jump for joy after the game. He knew it was only one game in many. He seemed pretty non-fazed by it all. I'm curious as to his post game presser as to what he's going to say now. I like his demeanor so far and like I've often said in comparing him to some of his predecessors- he doesn't give the press stupid proclamations, silly sound bytes and things for disgruntled fans to skewer months later.

Small hand clap for this meager victory. We can savor it for a scant week [[something we haven't done in ages). Th Lions still have a long long way to go to being a competitive team but this week, we proved that we can still beat another NFL team.

I'm going to check my pig, just to see if it sprouted wings.

Attachment 3322

...yep....

Yep- another brilliant observation by gnome.

40,896 fans. Bravo to them for being at the game. Even with that meager number, I hope that Old Man Ford understands that there could be a LOT more fans there if they can start building a better team here.

Bowmp, bowmp, bowmp. Another one bites the dust.
    And another one down, and another one down and another one bites the dust.

Sing it with me.

One nice touch I found out about tonight was that Jim Schwartz also insisted that the team go back out onto the field to celebrate this meager victory with their fans. Sure, it's only one game but that's at least savvy on his part to at least connect with the fan base again. Everything I've heard about the post game seemed good- for a small loyal crowd [[the Lions deserved no better at this juncture), I heard it was a pretty vocal bunch. For all the previous bungles, missed field goals, draft picks that had gone bust, dropped passes, and idiotic miscues- I was actually glad to see someone from the team really come out and do something for the fans after the game. It won't erase years of misery for us die hard fans, but it is a nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    And another one down, and another one down and another one bites the dust.

Sing it with me.
    Last time that song really meant something to the Lions faithful here, I believe our record was somewhere in the neighborhood of 9-7 and there was a hope of making the playoffs. I don't think this team is near that level just yet but I do applaud your enthusiasm. We can still hope!

LIONS WON THEIR FIRST NFL GAME AGAINST THAT REDSKINS, YAY! 19 to 17

Finally!

I waited 2 years for it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast