Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: AnnArbor.com

Default AnnArbor.com

Holy crap. Have you guys seen AnnArbor.com? Yikes. It's like fark.com without the good stories and summaries.

AnnArbor.com is a disaster, but it's easier to see now why they dropped "News" from the title.

The Ann Arbor Chronicle, another online news outfit, is much smaller but much better:

http://annarborchronicle.com/

I'm reserving judgment on AnnArbor.com but note two things: 1) It's very surprising that they didn't lead off with a good investigative story just to reassure people that there was going to be some journalism practiced there, and 2) this morning it's completely down.

The Ann Arbor Chronicle is fine but posts only links and 1-2 stories per day--not a reasonable substitute.

http://metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=14241

Gotta hand it to Jacko on this one. He knocks it out of the park.

"Now I like to think of myself as a fairly sophisticated newspaper critic. ... So I wanted to find just the right way of expressing the quality of Ann Arbor.com in words both the layman and the experienced journalist could understand and relate to.
    So here goes: Ann Arbor.com is an appalling pile of crap. And an insult to the intelligence of any functioning adult."

Great reader comment about Jacko's arrogance [[but the column is still hilarious):

"Jack, Let me start by saying I'm a former reporter for The Ann Arbor News. After reading this critique [[and really learning more about you than AnnArbor.com, do you always insert your resume in every analysis?)..."