Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Matty Moroun forcing cars to Canada

If you happen to make a mistake around W. Grand Blvd. and Fort Street you may end up in Canada. It's bad enough Matty Maroun has stolen our park and streets, he is now forcing lost drivers across his bridge to Canada and charging them $8.00.
    Matty has appropriated W.G. Blvd and made his signs so confusing some unsuspecting drivers are being sucked into his evil web.
    I personally would refuse and back up. His minions would have to try and stop me, they have no authority.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/20217216/detail.html

Oh dear, more minion-bait.

Amazing how it's "out of MDOT's hands" that Maroun can seize a public road like that. Maybe the city needs to step in since Grand Blvd. isn't a state highway, I guess?

Blarf Guest

If you make a wrong turn, just put your car in reverse and go backwards. If they don't like it, screw them.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Amazing how it's "out of MDOT's hands" that Maroun can seize a public road like that. Maybe the city needs to step in since Grand Blvd. isn't a state highway, I guess?
    Was Moroun authorized to take over the Boulevard? For that matter, was he authorized to take over the entire north side of Fort, blocking access to all buildings and cross streets from 14th to the bridge in the process? Does MDOT have anything to do with any of it, or is it all Moroun? Are the closings permanent? Sorry if these are stupid questions--I don't live in Southwest and haven't been following this project closely, but now I'm curious.

Yep, this happened to one of my crews on Tuesday--they got off of the freeway and suddenly found themselves in line at the toll plaza. There was no turning back.

They wasted 1.5 hours' worth of their time and a $8 toll. They said the signage was very confusing.

The signage is very confusing. And we live outside of Windsor, so we are wanting to go across the bridge to get home. I'm always afraid we're gonna end up going in a circle before we can figure things out. It's a plain mess over there. So we don't even bother with the bridge anymore. We take the tunnel - way less confusing.

Oh, and BTW - if I had no intention of crossing the bridge - I too would put it in reverse and back up. To hell with that $hit!

For the number of times that I've seen people back up the freeway entrance ramps when the traffic is at a standstill due to an accident, I didn't think this would be a problem for Detroit drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Exactly...West Grand Blvd isn't under MDOT jurisdiction so they really have no authority to do anything about it. The City needs to step in and take care of the mess but for whatever reason they seem unwilling to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Exactly...West Grand Blvd isn't under MDOT jurisdiction so they really have no authority to do anything about it. The City needs to step in and take care of the mess but for whatever reason they seem unwilling to do so.
    I'll start with a few reasons....

Bribes, threats, and political contributions -- he has a stranglehold on the city, not to mention the fact that M.M. controls the bridge that allows 23% of all US-Canada trade to happen... Could you imagine the power of the man who could shut that down at any moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I'll start with a few reasons....

Bribes, threats, and political contributions -- he has a stranglehold on the city, not to mention the fact that M.M. controls the bridge that allows 23% of all US-Canada trade to happen... Could you imagine the power of the man who could shut that down at any moment?
    Bribes & contributions probably...but he'd have to be completely insane to shut down the bridge just to prove a point. He may be a lot of things but I don't think he's crazy.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    Bribes & contributions probably...but he'd have to be completely insane to shut down the bridge just to prove a point. He may be a lot of things but I don't think he's crazy.
    Yeah, he may threaten to do it, but he'd never have the balls to do it. He loves money far too much to ever endanger not making more of it every single second for the remainder of his years off of the Ambassador.

Gollum needs The Precious, and this troll's precious is his bridge.

This happened to my brother a couple months ago. He ended up in Canada.

I had AAA plan a trip for me and they just routed me around the area.

So what if you have a CCW license and are carrying? Ole Manny is going to FORCE someone to illegally import firearms into Canada?!?

Ole' Manny Moron. He'll get his way no matter what. He's a typical Arrogant, Belligerent, Corporist, obstructionist. "If I can't have my way, I'll make everyone pay".

Has anyone noticed that M-DOT isn't saying anything? That's because they're the ones who put up the signs, not the DIBC. For anyone that has problems with it, the contact person is Brenda Peek [[248) 483-5109.

I knew kraig [[aka stamper/moroun supporter) would put a certain spin on this thread.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I knew kraig [[aka stamper/moroun supporter) would put a certain spin on this thread.
    i'm waiting to weigh in until bill shea tells all of us commies that this a completely legit and perfectly capitalist phenomenon, and that we just don't get it because we're too far left of center philosphically

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Where's the spin? It's a problem with a road sign and barricades that was put up by MDOT, with our tax dollars. I simply informed everyone who was responsible and who to contact.

Fox 2 just did a follow up report that backed up everything I said.

It's $8 to cross the bridge now? when did that shoot up in price???? I havne't been over the bridge in about 3 or 4 years.

That 8 bucks is round trip.

You have a big hassle coming, if you don't have a passport also, an extended wait to get back in US not canada, unless you have a pistol. Our gov't at work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast