Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit artist Gilda Snowden passed away

For those of you who know anything about the art scene in Detroit, we lost a legend and a force of nature today. Gilda Snowden passed away at Detroit Receiving Hospital.

She taught at College for Creative Studies for 31 years, was the chair of the Fine Arts department for numerous years and was a major influence on generations of artists. She will truly be missed by the Detroit art community.

Most definitely this is a great loss. smogboy, do you know if she had been ill?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Most definitely this is a great loss. smogboy, do you know if she had been ill?
    She just recently had knee surgery so nothing too major at all. She was on the CCS campus all last week preparing for another school year. It's been devastating.

Wow! Devastating news. So sad and so sudden... She was working at CCS back in the 'Center' for Creative Studies days when I attended, and I'd just seen her earlier this summer.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-09-14 at 09:05 PM.

my condolences to the family.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; September-10-14 at 10:35 AM.

Very very sad news. Detroit and it's art scene has lost a bright star. I have lost a friend. Such a warm, cheerful, upbeat spirit she was. Full of energy and full of love. Just like her paintings.

We have also lost a long time member of the DetroitYES family, posting openly as Leoqueen in both the old and new forums.

Condolences to Boz and Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Very very sad news. Detroit and it's art scene has lost a bright star. I have lost a friend. Such a warm, cheerful, upbeat spirit she was. Full of energy and full of love. Just like her paintings.

We have also lost a long time member of the DetroitYES family, posting openly as Leoqueen in both the old and new forums.

Condolences to Boz and Kate.

I only knew Gilda from her artwork and from her posts here. I'm shocked and saddened to hear that she has passed. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

Condolences to the family and friends.

The Huffington Post has an excellent article on Ms. Snowden:

Gilda Snowden, Beloved Detroit Artist And Educator, Dies At 60

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...r=Black+Voices

A true loss. She was unpretentious as she was talented.

Arrangements are as follows:

The viewing and visitation for the public will be held on SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH from 9 am - 9 pm.

The funeral will be held on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 15TH at 11:00 AM.

Both will be located at the James H. Cole Home for Funerals at 2624 West Grand Blvd