Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fisher body plant proposal

I know it cant happen but Christ I i wish it could. I think area could be a really cool neighborhood. I live really close to this area and love.
    http://m.detroit.curbed.com/archives...body-plant.php

North End could really grow into a true neighborhood with this as a centerpiece full of people and not emptiness [[which is still slightly cool-- I mean just look at that place). Here's hoping.

Ironically, it looks less like a factory than much of the new construction that passes for residential these days.

Why can't it happen? It happen in other cities around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by YounginDetroit View Post
    I know it cant happen but Christ I i wish it could. I think area could be a really cool neighborhood. I live really close to this area and love.
    http://m.detroit.curbed.com/archives...body-plant.php

The thing about retrofitting these kind of buildings is that they are huge. You can end up with 2,000 square foot apartments that are 10 feet wide! In short, you need to hollow em out somehow and yet make that space usable or you get a bunch of units that are undesirable. Storage? Interior light court?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Storage? Interior light court?
    [[And may still be considered contaminated?)
    Gotta think there is diminishing returns on this one. Kudos that the EPA has been cleaning the facility since 2008, but that hollow bite from the article moves my needle not really so much. Data helps guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Gotta think there is diminishing returns on this one. Kudos that the EPA has been cleaning the facility since 2008, but that hollow bite from the article moves my needle not really so much. Data helps guys.
    According to the size on the website, 160 units at 1,000 each [[generous average) would only take up a fraction of the entire 600 sq ft building, add the 50k of retail and you're only about 1/3 filled. Term "Adaptive Reuse" is used on facebook page as well. Not only is the term jargon, it is garbage english [[redundant). The facebook page began on Sept 5th. I have a feeling that this is the work of a student. Or at best someone delusional.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-10-14 at 10:08 AM.