Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Swag-o-Mania

It wasn't that long ago when it seemed no one wanted to lay claim to the name Detroit. Oh how the times have changed as seen in this Detroit swag montage I mashed from Detroit's annual Dally in the Alley street fair this past Saturday.

Too much? Not enough? Or enough already!?

A little too much. I liked the Ghoul shirt.

I liked the turntable with "Detroit People Mover" next to it. But yeah, enough already.

I will be getting a "Detroiter by Choice" tee But yeah that is a lot of stuff but we're catching up from the down years I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by getmoore View Post
    I will be getting a "Detroiter by Choice" tee But yeah that is a lot of stuff but we're catching up from the down years I guess?
    This city has had its ass handed to it from all comers for decades. If you want to wear pride we have free unused pride cards to be played, wear it, tell it and fear not our time is coming and it is near.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It wasn't that long ago when it seemed no one wanted to lay claim to the name Detroit. Oh how the times have changed as seen in this Detroit swag montage I mashed from Detroit's annual Dally in the Alley street fair this past Saturday.

Too much? Not enough? Or enough already!?
    Beyond overwhelming, unoriginal [[See Detroit Manufacturing) and most are down right uncreative and distasteful, it looks like Hellen Keller is the creative director for most of these. Good grief 5 minutes worth of Old English D's with down syndrome. I can deal with "Detroit Hustles Harder" but this other stuff is just plain out juvenile......

I visited Detroit from Vancouver in July and was astounded to see how many local people wear this kind of Detroit swag. At Eastern Market on July 5th I'd estimate a third of everyone shopping there was wearing some sort of Detroit-identifiable swag like that pictured in the video. This kind of thing would never happen here - no local would be caught dead in a Vancouver T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Beyond overwhelming, unoriginal [[See Detroit Manufacturing) and most are down right uncreative and distasteful, it looks like Hellen Keller is the creative director for most of these. Good grief 5 minutes worth of Old English D's with down syndrome. I can deal with "Detroit Hustles Harder" but this other stuff is just plain out juvenile......
    I actually enjoy a good number of Detroit Manufacturing's designs. I also very much enjoy some of the designs that I am sure you think were inspired by Hellen Keller. I will gladly take the offerings we have, as they are definitely more unique and much more stylish than anything to come out of Chicago. Hell, have you ever met anyone who is proud enough of living in Chicago to wear a shirt about it?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I actually enjoy a good number of Detroit Manufacturing's designs. I also very much enjoy some of the designs that I am sure you think were inspired by Hellen Keller. I will gladly take the offerings we have, as they are definitely more unique and much more stylish than anything to come out of Chicago. Hell, have you ever met anyone who is proud enough of living in Chicago to wear a shirt about it?

While I appreciate and applaud the effort [[city pride is fantastic) let's be real here, these designs are wretched. Some of these Old English Ds are beyond awful. I realize now more than ever Detroit is a marketable item and the opportunity to capitalize is there. But come on, where is the artistic merit? Detroit is a hotbed for creativity, let's see it.....

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    While I appreciate and applaud the effort [[city pride is fantastic) let's be real here, these designs are wretched. Some of these Old English Ds are beyond awful. I realize now more than ever Detroit is a marketable item and the opportunity to capitalize is there. But come on, where is the artistic merit? Detroit is a hotbed for creativity, let's see it.....
    T-Shirts aren't the place to find that. T-Shirts, in my opinion, range from "Oh god that is awful" to "I guess I would wear that". And honestly, I see plenty of designs I would more than gladly wear. I'm just happy we have options to rep our city. I will try and dig a few out for you later.

Hippster wearables.....like you're beany hat, Shinola watch, and your checkerboard Vans.....
    You wear all that while dreaming of that loft space you'll rent in Corktown when you get out of the mailroom at some up and coming office space that has ping pong tables instead of conference rooms.......
    Just so's you remember that Detroit Hustles Harder sport!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F8Guy View Post
    Hippster wearables.....like you're beany hat, Shinola watch, and your checkerboard Vans.....
    You wear all that while dreaming of that loft space you'll rent in Corktown when you get out of the mailroom at some up and coming office space that has ping pong tables instead of conference rooms.......
    Just so's you remember that Detroit Hustles Harder sport!!!
    Hipster wearables? Hipsters at least have taste, this lacks taste.

I think Detroit Hustles Harder is a good look, two solid dudes and a good marketing effort.

I still have my "Detroit, where the weak are killed and eaten" t-shirt from years past. Maybe I should pull it out?

"Come back soon. We missed you the first time"

"Welcome To Detroit, Now Go Home".