Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default West village/Indian village area

How are the homes around this area, they seem well kept up and nice. What types of people live here as well, is it a mix of different cultures, is it all one race, etc. Lastly, is the area on the up and up for the future?

I'm not as familiar with west village as I am with Indian Village. Just walked Burns, Seminole and Iroquois a few weeks ago and marveled at the beautiful architecture of the homes in this neighborhood. There were a few homes that were vacant or in need of some extra attention, but overall that was the exception and not the rule. I would venture a guess that if this neighborhood has survived the worst of the great recession and Detroit's meteoric fall, then it's future is bright. I really can't speak for the residents of the neighborhood either.

West Village is definitely a different beast from Indian Village. Let's just start with that.

Indian Village is filled with mansions that would wow people from all around the country. Recently, an influx of 20-30 young couples, many with kids, have purchased home there in the last few years. This is what many hope will be an emergence of young professionals who might find viability and desirability in staying in the city once they raise families.

West Village is very close geographically, but socioeconomically, they are very far apart. One can rent an apartment in West Village for under $500/mo. [[Or at least they could the last time I checked.) Unfortunately, property crime is totally rampant there. Few places have any garage parking, and car theft is so common that it's not even a surprise any more.

But West Village certainly has a bright future as downtown is starting to become more and more expensive and pricing people out. Corktown and Lafayette Park have capacity issues that are making it harder and harder to find places to live. If the property owners can coordinate with themselves and the city to get the crime problems under control, it would be a candidate for a great neighborhood...and there are already many people who live there now who love it.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    How are the homes around this area, they seem well kept up and nice. What types of people live here as well, is it a mix of different cultures, is it all one race, etc. Lastly, is the area on the up and up for the future?
    Instead of wasting everyone's time with these useless questions, why don't you get up and see the areas you are asking about for yourself.

I'm going to address some points that Corktown made here. However, before I do, I would like to state that I am a member of the West Village Association Board of Directors and I am active in issues relating to crime in the Villages.

I agree with the statement that West Village and Indian Village are socioeconoically different. I do not know of apartments for rent for under $500/month, but there could be. Anything I'm familiar with that is a quality place to live and has vacancies [[most of the nicer buildings do not anymore) are $700 and up starting with studios and 1 bedrooms. We have a very eclectic mix of housing stock in West Village. Some large houses of comparable quality to Indian Village [[though not quite as big). Normal frame and brick 2 story houses, turn of the century "swanky" townhouses [[called Terraces back in the day), apartment buildings, 2 family and multi family dwellings and smaller older wood frame houses from the late 1800's. As such, housing options and people's economic status is all over the map.

Due to the time when West Village was developed and the uncommoness of cars during that time, driveways and garages are the exception, and street parking is the norm. We have had issues with car thefts, break in's and car dumpings for many, many years and while it comes and goes, it's still an active issue. To be honest, I've only heard of 2 break in's, one to an occupied house and one to an empty carriage house, in the last 3 months. There could be more, but these are all that has been reported to our crime tracking people. I would not agree that property crime, aside from car issues, is totally rampant.

I have seen West Village become stronger and stronger with the same younger people mentioned above moving not just into Indian Village, but West Village as well. We have a renewed retail/restaurant area on Agnes, one starting on Kercheval, including an organic market. I think the future for West Village is very bright and I really hope we can someday do something about the car issues. I think that is the main thing going against us.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    I think the future for West Village is very bright and I really hope we can someday do something about the car issues. I think that is the main thing going against us.
    Thanks for stepping into this conversation! Just to clarify, when I spoke of property crime, I did not intend anyone to interpret that as real estate property. I specifically meant "property" in comparison to "drug crime/violent crime/carjackings", etc. I do not know of any home invasions in the West Village, either.

I would like to hear more about what can be done about the car theft issues. The car theft truly is all too common, especially in neighborhoods without garages.

I rarely street park, but when I do I use the following:

- Disklok Steering Wheel Lock
    - Wheel Locks to prevent tire theft
    - An empty interior
    - A car alarm system

I have never had an issue with my car, but I also don't park on the street that often.

Are most of the car thefts in the neighborhood with cars that have heavy theft protection? What kinds of things have residents tried? What kinds of things has the association tried? If you had more funds what kinds of things would you try?

Default West Village

Are most of the car thefts in the neighborhood with cars that have heavy theft protection? What kinds of things have residents tried? What kinds of things has the association tried? If you had more funds what kinds of things would you try?[/QUOTE]

I live in West Village and the houses are older than Indian Village and are without driveways or garages. In my opinion these houses are more interesting [[not center entrance colonials) but smaller and "homey". Recently we have quite a few young couples with and without babies moving into the area.
    We've had our older Lincoln LS stolen 3 times off the street [[the last time it was returned after 2 weeks) The police didn't believe us! These are for the wheels. This was on a car that had an alarm and was locked. They put it in neutral and pushed it to an alley. Recently the thieves are going for Fords. We've been trying to get a bait car but so far not successful in getting one. Not having streetlights is a problem in the middle of the night but we hope to have new LEDs in the next month.

After 23 years of living in Detroit, my truck was stolen [[no club, just factory "alarm"), rental car was broken into and my 2nd vehicle [[an Envoy) stolen 28 days after I got it. [[my fault, no club). My latest car, a late model car with 19 inch rims has Gorilla wheel locks [[the higher quality ones) 2 on each rim. I use a disk-lok on the steering wheel, car is empty and I park wheels to curb with parking brake. I've had no issues other than someone trying to break into the back window [[caught them and chased them away). I feel I can sleep at night with the disk-lok on there.

We have had no luck getting a bait car, due to DTE who provides it, not DPD. Aside from that, DPD doesn't seem too concerned about car theft, more concerned with home invasions and violent crime.

I just wanted to make sure it was clear that property crime wasn't including home invasions [[empty or with residents home).

Our association operates on a very limited budget. We have a very very small ratio of members compared to residents. Our main goals are spring and fall clean ups, winter party, summer picnic, promotion of the villages, working with residents and business owners and keeping track of and working with the other villages and DPD and other organizations relating to crime.\

I think a bait car would be a great start, as well as DPD realizing that this REALLY needs to be addressed as it is affecting our neighborhood and our quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    You've asked about a few areas recently. Are you looking to purchase?

I recently looked in WV/IV myself. The homes were a good value and sold quickly. The area was quite diverse which was a plus. Some needed work however, and a slate roof is a ton of money. Despite the complete lack of city services, code enforcement is also very tough and many of these large homes will not pass without significant work.

Until the response to crime is addressed I wouldn't consider this area. For me a car theft or loss of wheels and tires is not a minor inconvenience. Residents also need to insist on street light upgrades. There is no excuse for areas like this to not have streetlights while I94 is lit up like daylight.

Hopefully these areas form tough neighborhood associations with real teeth and put a stop to this shit for good. I was determined to buy in Detroit but had to pass on that for now.

West Village has great potential especally on the corner of Parker and Kercheval. There is a organic market on that corner. I am concern about the candy shop on the corner for the owner rarely have the place open. I was told that the owner pays the rent and thats all. That vorner would be a thriving area if there are more serious minded entrepreneur willing to set up shop and care about the community that they are serving not just their own interest

A lot of people care about that community and many other communities throughout the city. However the cost of personal safety, security, insurance, etc. outweigh the desire live in or start businesses and/or live in many of the communities that have been discussed.
    Last edited by FormerDetroiter; September-09-14 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    After 23 years of living in Detroit, my truck was stolen [[no club, just factory "alarm"), rental car was broken into and my 2nd vehicle [[an Envoy) stolen 28 days after I got it. [[my fault, no club). My latest car, a late model car with 19 inch rims has Gorilla wheel locks [[the higher quality ones) 2 on each rim. I use a disk-lok on the steering wheel, car is empty and I park wheels to curb with parking brake. I've had no issues other than someone trying to break into the back window [[caught them and chased them away). I feel I can sleep at night with the disk-lok on there.

We have had no luck getting a bait car, due to DTE who provides it, not DPD. Aside from that, DPD doesn't seem too concerned about car theft, more concerned with home invasions and violent crime.

I just wanted to make sure it was clear that property crime wasn't including home invasions [[empty or with residents home).

Our association operates on a very limited budget. We have a very very small ratio of members compared to residents. Our main goals are spring and fall clean ups, winter party, summer picnic, promotion of the villages, working with residents and business owners and keeping track of and working with the other villages and DPD and other organizations relating to crime.\

I think a bait car would be a great start, as well as DPD realizing that this REALLY needs to be addressed as it is affecting our neighborhood and our quality of life.
    I'd just like to say "Thanx" to you and esighed for posting a realistic view on what the problems are daily for those of us who don't live in the green zone. Until these problems are seriously addressed by the City government, and Detroit is forced to deal with them, I don't forsee any real growth or change.

I can't really speak to the current state of WV as I lived there many years ago. Right next door to the Parkhurst, on Parker. I absolutely loved that part of WV, due to the mix of townhouses, well kept apartments and especially on that block of Parker, some very nice houses. From my peak at Google street view, it looks like the place I lived is in better shape today than when I lived there.

I am encouraged by the reviving retail on Agnes and Parker. I just saw that a vacant half block of buildings on Kercheval has been listed for sale. It would be fantastic for redevelopment to stabilize that end of the Village

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...troit-MI-48214

I recall that when I watched the Mayor's 6 month review video, he mentioned the neighborhoods where the city will be targeting vacant houses in the upcoming months. West Village was listed as sometime in the fall, as I recall. I hope their efforts are successful; I would expect them to be in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I can't really speak to the current state of WV as I lived there many years ago. Right next door to the Parkhurst, on Parker. I absolutely loved that part of WV, due to the mix of townhouses, well kept apartments and especially on that block of Parker, some very nice houses. From my peak at Google street view, it looks like the place I lived is in better shape today than when I lived there.

I am encouraged by the reviving retail on Agnes and Parker. I just saw that a vacant half block of buildings on Kercheval has been listed for sale. It would be fantastic for redevelopment to stabilize that end of the Village

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...troit-MI-48214

I recall that when I watched the Mayor's 6 month review video, he mentioned the neighborhoods where the city will be targeting vacant houses in the upcoming months. West Village was listed as sometime in the fall, as I recall. I hope their efforts are successful; I would expect them to be in that neighborhood.
    I am glad démolition Jackson didnt get a chance r
    to demolish those buildings

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am glad démolition Jackson didnt get a chance r
    to demolish those buildings
    Excellent point! A rehabbing of those buildings is much more likely than someone wanting to develop the parcel if vacant.

Indian Village was my home for most of my childhood, and much of my adulthood. I have lived nearby for many years, and my father still lives there too. So it is hard for me to speak fully objectively about the place.

I will say though that things are much better now than during what were truly the darkest days for crime back during the crack boom of the 1980s. The rough financial patch through the 2000s were pretty difficult on the neighborhood too, with deeply declining values and even abandonment.

But real estate people I know now report multiple offers, rising prices, and many more young professionals looking. Several houses that were in rough shape, or even sitting empty, are being or have been renovated, as have some of the nearby apartment buildings. Conditions are still certainly not perfect, and it is urban living, but for the most part things are really looking up around here.