Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How did you experience the winds of Friday's evening storm?

I think I tend to associate that kind of wind during the day, not in the late evening! One friend said the inner doors of her apartment rattled along with windows. Another friend in Dearborn said the 'take cover' sirens rang. The wind roar seemed to be taking the roof off at my dwelling then it died down as fast as it came. Though the rains continued. Major trees were uprooted throughout the city, and of course electricity has been effected for thousands.

The SOUND and force of the wind was incredible coming up so fast!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-07-14 at 09:55 AM.

I read that wind speeds reached 75 MPH in some places. That's the beginning of hurricane force winds.

We were very lucky in our locality. No significant damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I think I tend to associate that kind of wind during the day, not in the late evening! One friend said the inner doors of her apartment rattled along with windows. Another friend in Dearborn said the 'take cover' sirens rang. The wind roar seemed to be taking the roof off at my dwelling then it died down as fast as it came. Though the rains continued. Major trees were uprooted throughout the city, and of course electricity has been effected for thousands.

The SOUND and force of the wind was incredible coming up so fast!
    The strongest downdrafts with a Thunderstorm always occurs during the late afternoon/early evening hours, as that's after the instability has reached its highest point and when the intensity of a Thunderstorm tends to cycle downward from the peak heating of the day...
    Last edited by 313WX; September-07-14 at 11:15 AM.

True. That's why tornado's can occur at night. Thanks.

lafayette park got hit very hard. several 50+ year old trees were practically chopped in half and one went into one of the mies townhomes. the towers lost a few panels of glass in the lobby as well.

I was ovet my friends apt at Lafayette Towets and yhe eind blew out the windows in the lobby of one of the towers. One person was injuted when she was hit by the broken glass.Shards of glass that broken from the windows hit a couple of cars in the parking lot busting out the cars windows. Glass was all over the place

Very localized wind, I was on Coolidge and Maple when the storm blew in and I thought the roofs were going to be torn off. Got back to my house in the Maple Lasher area and there wasn't a twig blown over.

I heard the Brewster Projects got it really bad. Not sure of the extent however.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I heard the Brewster Projects got it really bad. Not sure of the extent however.
    When I drove by today, it looked like a couple of the structures were collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Another friend in Dearborn said the 'take cover' sirens rang.
    I was driving in east Dearborn when it hit. However, it was so loud I didn't hear the sirens. The wind was making the rain blow sideways. I stopped at Walgreen's at Mich & Greenfield. Power was on when I went in, but when I got out, the NW corner was all out. I didn't see too much damage though, just some tree branches in the road.

NW Det checking in. The wind was pretty strong in my neighborhood, but not strong enough to cause any damage or uprooted trees from what I could see. Amazing enough, the lights flickered when the storm first hit and the rain and wind were hardest.

The rain continued throughout Friday night but not nearly as hard as when it first started. Around 4am when everything stabilized, *POOF*, the lights went out. DTE was unable to get Crumbled back online until 6pm Sunday evening. Apparently this was one of the top ten power outages this area has experienced, as far as number of people without power.

Crumbled ducked a bullet during the last storm that flooded many basements and homes, but he did get a power outage this time around.

All in all, I've been blessed. My thoughts go out to those who sustained damage during what has been a very wacky summer.

We live up near Mack & 7 Mile. Loads of large trees down. Saw some damage to roofs. The wind tore the cladding off of my neighbor's house.

The sky had me spooked so I put the kids in the basement. The winds were so loud! For the first time since we lost her to dutch elm disease, I was thankful that the city came and took down our lovely old tree. She definitely would have taken half of our block out.

Only six days until the anniversary of our neighbor's tree splitting in half and nearly crushing me in a crazy storm last year, some of the earliest wind gusts split it in half AGAIN. He wasn't home, so we waited to report it so we could tease him about it.

Crazy thing was...last year he'd called into the GPP arborists warning them that this 100-foot-tall grandfather was looking dangerous...only a few hours before my encounter. They finally came and cut down the rest of it yesterday morning.

Hope y'all have your preps intact, they're saying tomorrow's storms might rival last week's record-setter. Curious times we're living in.

Cheers anyways,
    John

The building where my office is in the 12 Mile / Northwestern Hwy area lost power on Friday night and as of 12:00pm today [[Tuesday) was still dark, as is the office building next door. The Valero station and the dollar store just up the street didn't lose power at all.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The building where my office is in the 12 Mile / Northwestern Hwy area lost power on Friday night and as of 12:00pm today [[Tuesday) was still dark, as is the office building next door. The Valero station and the dollar store just up the street didn't lose power at all.
    Are you sure they're not using generators?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Hope y'all have your preps intact, they're saying tomorrow's storms might rival last week's record-setter. Curious times we're living in.

Cheers anyways,
    John
    Any storm can have severe components. The media does no favors by hyping a storm days before they can accurately predict its arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Are you sure they're not using generators?
    No I'm not.

Wacky for sure... we did not loose power or get water. But some of the roof blew off in the winds. Not good. Must be repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Crumbled ducked a bullet during the last storm that flooded many basements and homes, but he did get a power outage this time around.

All in all, I've been blessed. My thoughts go out to those who sustained damage during what has been a very wacky summer.