Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which neighborhood do you think will be next to Revitalize

Vandyke north of Kercheval south of Gratiot? 7 Mile and Livernois?[[the southwest portion) not that its bad but it could be better. Morningside? I'm just naming areas, what are some of your ideas?

Looking at the trajectory Corktown has taken in the last 10 years is remarkable. My candidates for similar changes [[again, over a 10 years...there are no quick miracles) are the following:

North End
    West Village
    North Corktown
    East English Village

I think the following neighborhoods will not necessarily "shiny jewels" in the city, but a lot of improvement will take place to eliminate much of the eyesores and blight and be somewhat functional:

Brightmoor
    Warrendale
    Morningside

Lastly, neighborhoods are neighborhoods. People are people. If Brightmoor were to miraculously turn into this emerald neighborhood within the city, it likely means that many of the people who actually live in Brightmoor today will not be the ones who live in "New Brightmoor".

While I think it will be good for neighborhoods to turn around, we still need to address how we treat [[and how we can improve the lives of) the lower quintiles of the city's socio-economic classes.

Is it possible that the Palmer Park Historic Apartment District will be a candidate for
    revitalization? Extending the modern street car from New Center to 8 Mile would
    encourage such a revitalization.

Im personally pulling for the North End. I live in New Center and i sees o much potential for the neighborhood. The architecture is diverse, the existing storefronts are kind of integrated into the neighborhood and not just on woodward. I wonder how the rail will impact the neighborhood.

Hamtramck is perpetually the next up and coming thing. And why not Southwest with its proximity to the water?

Except for the heavily delapitated parts of southwest like delray i think southwest will be fine. The proximity to the river is problem because the are is still relatively industrial. But i can see southwest only growing stronger as a community hopefully still retaining its latino heritage. Ive also always had love for the lower eastside near vandyke i think north of mack could be the next west village if properly executed but that are is spotty.

Quote Originally Posted by YounginDetroit View Post
    Except for the heavily delapitated parts of southwest like delray...
    Bring back the Chevrolet Delray!

Vandyke north of Kercheval south of Gratiot? 7 Mile and Livernois?[[the southwest portion) not that its bad but it could be better. Morningside? I'm just naming areas, what are some of your ideas?
    I have a relative who lives in Vandyke-Mack section and he's the ONLY person, the ONLY house on the block.
    What would the city do for or against a person like him? The house is deemed "good" condition, but there are no other houses on the block.
    Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    I have a relative who lives in Vandyke-Mack section and he's the ONLY person, the ONLY house on the block.
    What would the city do for or against a person like him? The house is deemed "good" condition, but there are no other houses on the block.
    Very strange.
    I wonder if it would be at all feasible for the city to actually move such a house to a vacant lot somewhere else? Maybe cluster a number of houses and re-create some intact blocks, while being able to suspend services on the now totally empty blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I wonder if it would be at all feasible for the city to actually move such a house to a vacant lot somewhere else? Maybe cluster a number of houses and re-create some intact blocks, while being able to suspend services on the now totally empty blocks?
    Good idea, I do want to see some type of connectivity within neighborhoods. Either greenways and/or housing relocations of some sorts. Density is key, some areas just need reconstruction plans, eliminate some neighborhood roads and remove all underground infrastructures and above lighting post.

Turn it back to earth and let it become forestry. Have bike paths and pocket parks connecting neighborhoods. Strengthen our semi-stable neighborhoods and improve city services in those area. Some areas just need to be not so scattered/isolated..

Also, the mayor administrative should come up with plans for citizens to have the ability to apply for home improvements and such... Offer incentives and educate them to keep up their neighborhoods.

Thr neighborhood wich is borderd by Gratiot on the north, Mack on the South, Vandyke to the West andMcClellan to the east. That area is densed and just need the abandoned structures torn down. On the rise bakery had opened in that area

No offense gthomas,really no offense, but im tired of these forestry ideas turning detroit back to what it was back 1701. Lets try to eliminate all the overgrown weeds and vegetation. I want infrastructure not grass. This is detroit we have enough of that

As West Village becomes too pricey, I see the movement to Jefferson-Chalmers. Good housing stock close to a functioning walkable area.

Who mentioned Brightmoor?

That Great Guy Guest

The NEW Mr. Ford is coming in 2016. And he will bring back Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    The NEW Mr. Ford is coming in 2016. And he will bring back Detroit.

Don't go tempting no Rob Ford now, y'hear?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Don't go tempting no Rob Ford now, y'hear?
    LMAO but... Toronto is a thriving international city. Are ya sure you can't spare him?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    LMAO but... Toronto is a thriving international city. Are ya sure you can't spare him?

I'll let Torontonians decide if they want to let him go, he's become a cuddly mascot for them. In Montreal we've had our fill of crooks and kooks in the past couple of years. I wouldnt wish them on other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    We need a Rob Ford as much as we need Kwame back at the helm.

I had a debate awhile back as to who actually is worse for their respective city? An admitted fat crack smoker or a fat cat politician who skimmed off of his city?

I think Brush Park could be improved. Obviously it's not a totally busted area, but there's a lot of empty land for new houses and they'd all be close to Woodward Avenue and Comerica Park.

Eventually [[2017?) they'll be close to the new Red Wings stadium on the other side of Woodward, too.

Michigan Avenue and its sidestreets once you get beyond the MCS rail depot also has real potential as Corktown becomes hipper and expands. [[You'll really see that happen when Matty Maroun refurbishes MCS and someone does something with the CPA building diagonally across from the Mercury Burger Bar.)

And, yeah, New Center up to Grand Boulevard [[or even beyond) and all the other sidestreets off of Woodward in that region when you move beyond WSU.

All IMHO, of course... I'd live in any of those areas, especially Brush Park or Michigan Avenue beyond the MCS.

Detroit will become expensive. Like when old-time Manhattan-ites complain they can't afford to live in their own hometown anymore.
    Last edited by night-timer; September-08-14 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    As West Village becomes too pricey, I see the movement to Jefferson-Chalmers. Good housing stock close to a functioning walkable area.
    Completely agreed with this. I see a lot of medium term growth from the Jeff Chalmers intersection down to the Harbor and Klenk Island areas.

Do you think we could wait until downtown/midtown hits the critical mass it needs before we look elsewhere? I want all the neighborhoods to succeed but downtown and midtown have not yet reached their full potential. My theory is that the success and "prosperity", for lack of a better term, will indeed spill into the neighborhoods. But considered that hasn't happened yet, let's take one thing at a time. Love the enthusiasm but we need to focus on the current momentum.

I think we'll see Virginia Park/North End next. I have some friends who own property up there and it seems the neighborhood is making some strides. I love that area and hope it really does finally take off.

certainly not my neighborhood.. deterioration has become the standard.. gotta go, gotta go..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast