Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How American Bohemia Was Born in a Basement Saloon

How American Bohemia Was Born in a Basement Saloon
    Bohemian. This one word evokes a jumble of associations: freedom, nonconformity, artistic creativity, sexual openness, an appetite for booze and drugs, poverty, and patchouli. But the history surrounding the word is anything but loose. Not only is it possible to accurately date the birth of American Bohemia, but one can pinpoint the exact address where the movement took root. There’s even a single individual responsible for importing Bohemia into the United States: Henry Clapp, Jr....
    Life lived to its fullest, if even in defiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    How American Bohemia Was Born in a Basement SaloonLife lived to its fullest, if even in defiance.
    The word Bohemia makes me think of...the Czech Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The word Bohemia makes me think of...the Czech Republic.
    Made me think of Strohs beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Made me think of Strohs beer.
    Rhapsody..

...First thing I think, when hearing that word: code-word used by over-reaching hipsters [[who did not simply arrive since the turn of the century) to describe a certain... something; used with the hope that the word will not be questioned, due to outliers wishing against the appearance of being out of touch with The Cool New Shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    ...First thing I think, when hearing that word: code-word used by over-reaching hipsters [[who did not simply arrive since the turn of the century) to describe a certain... something; used with the hope that the word will not be questioned, due to outliers wishing against the appearance of being out of touch with The Cool New Shit.
    I'm a little bit confused about what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    that's so meta...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    that's so meta...
    Hilarious!!

This would be my heritage...Who Are the German-Bohemians?

German-Bohemians are people who have either lived in or have ancestry in the outer rim of the Czech Republic. Once this region was part of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation, when people moved and settled freely in Central Europe. When the nation of Czechoslovakia was created in 1919 out of the former Austrian crown colonies of Bohemia, Moravia and Slovakia, the German-speaking outer rim came to be known as the Sudentenland, named for the terrain that separates Germany from Bohemia.

After World War II, three and one half million of these Germans from Sudetenland were forcibly expelled from their homeland and "resettled" throughout Germany. These too, are German-Bohemians, however, they prefer to be known as Sudeten-Germans.

Beginning in the early 1850's, and increasingly throughout the balance of the 19th century, there was a large chain migration to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Motivated by a string of immigrant letters, hundreds of immigrants joined their families and brought with them elements of the culture, crafts, traditions, music and values that characterize the descendents of these German-Bohemian immigrants to this day.
    The following map is included with permission from Border People: The Böhmish [[German-Bohemians) in America written by Ken Meter and Robert Paulson.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    ... The following map is included with permission from Border People: The Böhmish [[German-Bohemians) in America written by Ken Meter and Robert Paulson.
    Here's a link to that map.

Default Kafka 1991

Total duration 94 minutes: This reminds me so much of Detroit in its heyday.