Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Has anyone heard of the "Grosse Pointe Zoo?"

Has anyone heard of the "Grosse Point zoo" which consisted of alligators in the basement of the Campbell residence?

Reference the story that starts at the 20:30 mark:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/happy-birthday-bobby-k/

Great episode of a wonderful podcast - RadioLab.

Google "Moon by Whale Light" a 1991 book by Diane Ackerman [[pages 96 - 107) for an interview of George Campbell. At the time of the "sewing party" that triggered a B flat tone which caused 30 male alligators to roar in unison, George apparently had the 2nd largest collection of crocodilians in the world, in the basement of his home in Grosse Pointe. The only larger collection was in the Berlin Zoo. Fascinating story.

I remember the Zoo on 8 mile where mud wrestling was very popular.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    I remember the Zoo on 8 mile where mud wrestling was very popular.....
    They had quite a large collection of animals too, if I recall correctly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    They had quite a large collection of animals too, if I recall correctly.....
    LOL - your exactly right & be thankful in a cage[[s).....