Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hugging now a crime

Saw a story of a fella who got fired after 40 years on the job for hugging a customer. This wasn't in Detroit but in Muskegon I believe. What's the world coming to when a hug gets ya' canned? I see a lot of store clerks who I wish would give me a hug ........... girl clerks of course..hubba hubba!!! :-)

Without looking up the story, I could easily assume the guy was hugging the customer in a way that is inappropriate. The customer could have felt uncomfortable and that could have easily turned into something that the store would rather not deal with.

Obviously if the customer and employee knew each other that'd be different, but then why not go socialize when the employee is on break or off work? He's not getting paid to hug people.

Here's the actual story...
    WHITEHALL, Mich. – A Muskegon County grocery store employee says he was fired for giving a customer a hug.It’s controversy that’s ripping through the small community of Whitehall and has Fred Civis accused facing charges.
    Civis says it was just a hug, a friendly way he has greeted customers throughout his 39 years at Plumb’s Valu-Rite Foods.

Fred Civis claims he was fired from grocery store for giving a hug.

But the alleged victim felt differently, leading to Civis’ termination and criminal charges.

A Facebook page called “Boycott Whitehall Plumb’s for Fred” started this week as members of the community rallied together Wednesday in support of Civis, holding signs and chanting “We want Fred!”

Civis described the incident to FOX 17: “A pal hug, you put your arm around the shoulder, you put your arm around the shoulder, ya know, you’re best pals,” he said.

Civis says on July 24 he was fired a few days after the customer complained. But the incident was far from over when a sheriff’s deputy came to his home and arrested him on charges of misdemeanor assault and battery.

The situation inspired Whitehall resident Timothy Cooper to start a Facebook page in support of Civis.

“I just want to cry, because it makes me feel great,” Civis said of the support.
    “Fred’s been here almost as long as Plumb’s has,” Cooper said. “I remember Fred when I was young. he`s been here close to 40 years.”

Plumb’s President and CEO James Nader released a statement:
    “Plumbs Value-Rite Foods is committed to providing a safe, enjoyable shopping experience for all of our customers. We have policies in place at all of our Plumb’s locations to ensure that everyone who comes to our store is treated appropriately and respectfully.
    The decision to terminate Fred Civis from our Whitehall Market was difficult. The decision came after multiple violations of our policies, one of which resulted in a criminal complaint from a shopper at our Whitehall store. Though we have received strong criticism for our decision we remain firm in our belief that the safety and comfort of our customers must always come first.
    “We are honored to serve our customers as their neighborhood market and we will continue working to ensure that Plumb’s customers have the finest shopping experience anywhere.”
    While supporters protested Civis’ termination outside Plumb’s, an employee came outside and gave Civis a hug and told him she misses him.

“That’s why I wanted to do this job, keep this job, to make a difference, and this is proving that I have made a difference,” Civis said.

Civis will be back in court for a preliminary hearing for the misdemeanor assault and battery charge on Sept. 16.

http://fox17online.com/2014/09/03/grocery-store-cashier-says-he-was-fired-for-hugging-a-customer/
    he was told to stop groping the customers and he's being charged with assault by the victim of one of his unwanted hugs.

I've gotten this "OUTRAGEOUS!!!11!!" "OBUMMERS AMERICA IS A SAD PLACE WITH NO HUGS!!!1!!!" story emailed to me [[criminal charges and mention of the victim as the one driving the firing curiously redacted) from various right wing nutjob family today.
    Last edited by bailey; September-04-14 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Here's the actual story...

he was told to stop groping the customers and he's being charged with assault by the victim of the unwanted hug.

I've gotten this "OUTRAGEOUS!!!11!!" "OBUMMERS AMERICA IS A SAD PLACE WITH NO HUGS!!!1!!!" story emailed to me [[criminal charges and mention of the victim as the one driving the firing curiously redacted) from various right wing nutjob family today.
    I think we should loot the store then burn it.

Well being a member of the biker community I can tell you a hug, a slap on the back and a shake of the hand is not groping it's friendship and big burley guys do it to each other and it's not gay or inappropriate. Football players do it, people at church do it and even Obama hugs people

If we loot the store I get dibs on the snickers .............

There's nothing in the story that suggests this particular customer wanted a hug. Doesn't matter if it was a big burly guy or a petite woman, the customer didn't feel comfortable with what the employee did. And the employee should have even known better if the company has policies on this sort of behavior already. They obviously knew an incident like this could have occurred.

Well that may be true 'martian' but a hug or a smile would be lot better than some of the bad attitudes some store clerks have.........
    Last edited by MotorCityTrikes; September-04-14 at 04:12 PM.

Well that may be true 'martian' so then I'm going to sue everytime I catch a bad attitude, snarky look and crappy service when I go shopping which is all the flippin time. A hug or a smile would just kill some people wouldn't it
    Bad attitude, snarky looks, and crappy services aren't assaults. In general, you can't legally touch other people unless they give you permission [[doesn't have to be explicit), or unless the contact is incidental. This isn't just about suing--it is a criminal offense. It doesn't sound as if this guy is a bad person, but he was doing something you aren't allowed to do. This isn't a new thing--I was taught that this was not legal 35 years ago.

You never know. The customer could have had previous bad experiences that make them sensitive to this sort of thing. Likewise she doesn't know this guy and isn't just going to assume he's some gentle giant that everyone makes him out to be. You need to respect what people's comfort level might be.

The lawsuit is a little bit over the top, but hey it's company policy and he violated them.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    There's nothing in the story that suggests this particular customer wanted a hug. Doesn't matter if it was a big burly guy or a petite woman, the customer didn't feel comfortable with what the employee did. And the employee should have even known better if the company has policies on this sort of behavior already. They obviously knew an incident like this could have occurred.
    Though technically [[and legally) you are correct, dismissal seems a bit over the top. Arrest for Misdemeanor Assault and Battery is ridiculous. Unless Fred has a history of customer complaints and reprimands from management, I think he might have found his ticket to retirement.