Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Town Apartments Have New Owners, Will Be Renovated

Based on how the new owner rehabbed Alden Towers, this is exciting news.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...th-Renovation/

Does anyone know if they are planning or doing improvements on the other E. Jefferson properties they acquired? This investment is encouraging.

hmm... I guess so many of these buildings have been empty for so long, I scarcely paid any attention to whether some may have been [[at least partially) occupied or not.. Kudos.

After the apartments are rehabbed, the rent will go up, up, up.

I have wondered what that building was like.

I was not impressed by the renovated Alden Towers at all, calling them "Luxury Apartments" is quite the stretch. However, I'm sure the reno was an improvement and will be here as well since the building is apparently half empty.

Back in the day if was considered a nice place to live despite it's proximity to the old Michigan Avenue skid row. A lot of jocks and sports front office types lived there because it was close to Tiger Stadium and downtown establishments like the Lindell A.C. Off the top of head I know of the following noteworthy sports related people that lived at the Townhouse Apartments in the 1960's and in some cases into the 1970's.

Jim Campbell-Detroit Tigers General Manager [[1950's-1966)
    Dick McAuliffe-Detroit Tigers Infielder [[Early 1960's).
    Dick LeBeau-Detroit Lions Defensive Back [[1960's-early 1970's)
    George Cantor-Detroit Free Press sportswriter [[1960's)
    Wayne Walker-Detroit Lions Linebacker [[Late 1950's-early 1960's)
    Art Fowler-Detroit Tigers Pitching coach [[Early 1970's)
    Aurelio Rodriguez-Detroit Tigers 3rd Basemen [[1970's)

Also, word on the street was the late Lions broadcaster Van Patrick had a place there that was his "home away from home".
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; September-04-14 at 09:45 PM.

There was an older thread on this building.... how it was never completed before the depression hit... an interesting look at how it was originally designed by Guardian Building designer Wirt Rowland....

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...chartrain-Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There was an older thread on this building.... how it was never completed before the depression hit... an interesting look at how it was originally designed by Guardian Building designer Wirt Rowland....

Very interesting, and if I might add, the original design was so much more elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I would love to see it return to that stature since it was a nice place to live 40+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Unless you live in Lafayette Towers where the rent had went up the nothing was done to the buildings but people getting trapped in stuck elevators

A bit of wrong information, the Pontchartrain Club was never completed and the building sat unfinished until it was completed at the Town Apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

So they removed all of the brick work and large windows when they finished it?