Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The Ilitch family owns this theater? They need to open one in downtown Detroit.
    No they do not own it. They do however own the Fox in Detroit as well as the Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The Ilitch family owns this theater? They need to open one in downtown Detroit.
    Firmly in the DetroitYes tradition of being willing to spend Other People's Money [[OPM).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    No they do not own it. They do however own the Fox in Detroit as well as the Birmingham.
    They are only operators of movie theatres. They don't own the real estate. They are tenants.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

I believe they [[the Birmingham Theatre folk) run the theatre at the Ren Cen.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGuy76 View Post
    Yes. http://www.uptownentertainment.com/Locations.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitGuy76 View Post
    And that is the reason why you can get a hot and ready there. Are you equating the Fox to the Movies at RenCen? LOL

http://www.uptownentertainment.com/Concessions.aspx
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-14-14 at 09:51 PM.

This cinema isn't even closing, BTW. The whole premise of this thread is flawed.

They're converting some screens to office space, but the cinema will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This cinema isn't even closing, BTW. The whole premise of this thread is flawed.

They're converting some screens to office space, but the cinema will stay.
    Is this a sign that the Birmingham experiment of having a vibrant downtown has failed, and that it is destined to become another Detroit?? Bham1982, I'm super worried that Birmingham can't support the attract-people-that-don't-live-in-the-city-with-fancy-sounding-bullshit demographic they are so intent on attracting?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Is this a sign that the Birmingham experiment of having a vibrant downtown has failed, and that it is destined to become another Detroit?? Bham1982, I'm super worried that Birmingham can't support the attract-people-that-don't-live-in-the-city-with-fancy-sounding-bullshit demographic they are so intent on attracting?
    I certainly hope so. I would like downtown to stop trying to act like a fly-over Middle America version of Beverly Hills or Greenwich, and actually be a functional city center again.

No more pet boutiques, ripoff lounges, and empty condos, please.

anonJD Guest

They really need to charge non-residents more for tickets to solve the out of town teens being dropped off to loiter all weekend problem. Let them drop their brats at Great Lakes.

Ignoring for a moment the post that the cinemas are NOT closing....

The closure of the theatres would be a sign that the theatres didn't work as planned. But that's just one component of a much larger plan. I would assert that about 3/4 of urban planning initiatives fail. That doesn't mean they don't have value. Fling a lot of poo is a good strategy. Learn from your mistakes. Repeat and rinse. Add your metaphor.

SO is the theatre closing or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    SO is the theatre closing or not?
    It is not closing, but it is turning into office space or apartments or something. So don't worry! Downtown Birmingham is saved!!

Yea. I remember the Birmingham Palladium. Its actually where I started my love of rock music.

It would have been about 1966 when I went there the first time.
    I was in the 9th grade and remember seeing the Bob Seger System.
    The drummer had 2 base drums up on stands on each side of his head.
    Boy was that cool!

Another time I saw the Amboy Dukes and watched Tedley "hose" his guitar on stage.

I know that there are many other groups that I saw there but for some reason I have a hard time remembering them.

It looks like there were a lot of good groups that were there after I left the area.

What memories!! And to think that it's a place to park now.

From Ill-Leetches Pizza Pizza Paladium to Emagina Paladium now its nothing. What a waste of prime theater real estate!!

I had three experiences lately where I tried to buy items at local businesses but they were either closed when I got there or they didn’t have what I wanted in stock. So I went home and ordered from Amazon Prime with no charge for shipping and in all three cases the stuff arrived sooner than promised. Pretty hard to compete with that.

Kinda makes one wonder how the generations before us ever survived and prospered without all of that instant gratification.

Are we really in a better place because of that promised next day delivery?

When I was 12,I ordered a Buck knife from the Sears catalogue store,it was actually a counter with a Sears catalogue sitting on it and attendant that submitted your order,it took three weeks for that knife to arrive for pick up,Interesting enough I survived those three weeks and many years after.
    Last edited by Richard; August-20-19 at 02:57 PM.

It is not closing, but it is turning into office space or apartments or something. So don't worry! Downtown Birmingham is saved!!
    ​Office space!! They are closing some theater rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ​Office space!! They are closing some theater rooms.
    This happened a few years ago. The Palladium has been re-opened for quite a while. They got rid of the second floor, all the theaters are on the top floor now, and have been for a few years. It's definitely still open, just walked by it this afternoon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3