Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Maury's Bar in Macomb County

While I continue my research on Maury's Bar in Allen Park, I learned yesterday that there was a Maury's Bar somewhere in Macomb County. This Macomb establishment was owned by Harry Moore and Bill Stahl who had previously owned the Maury's in A. P.

Can someone with access to the Polk City Directory for Macomb County in the late 1950s-60s or with long memories tell me where this bar was located and for how long Moore and Stahl owned it? Were there later owners who operated under the Maury's name?

I thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Default Macomb County City Directories

Can someone tell me where I can find older [[1950s/60s) R. L. Polk Co. City Directories covering Macomb County? I spoke to the folks at the genealogy center at the Mount Clemens Public Library and they only have directories for Mount Clemens. Is there a library or other institution in the county that has a good selection of Polks? I really don't want to have to go all the way to Lansing for this unless I have to. Thanks in advance.

I doubt that there are any City Directories published for those years other than the Mt. Clemens directory, since the other cities in Macomb County at that time were very small and Mt. Clemens was the county seat [[remember that publishers like RL Polk were looking to sell these directories and make a profit).

I've checked some of the advertising in old publications I have and I was unable to find an ad for their bar. Your best chances are to look in the Detroit and Mt. Clemens city directories from that era since they often included outlying businesses beyond the city limits. Also check to see if the library has any old telephone directories for those areas.

I did some poking around in the on-line catalogs for the Macomb County libraries. I found the Easpointe library had Polks from the late 1950s covering East Detroit, Fraser and Roseville. So I took a shot and made the jaunt up there. Well this time I got lucky--found Maury's Tavern, at 19127 11 Mile Road in Roseville, in the 1958 Directory. It was formerly Ernie's Tavern. Case closed!

Ran across a business card for a Mr. Wells S. Herrington of The Stroh Brewery Co. in an old apartment above a bar in Saline this weekend. On the back is written "Maury's Bar Allen Road at Southfield Allen Park See Bill Stahl or Harry Moore"

Whatcha think of that, Beech Cricker? A Google led me to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Ran across a business card for a Mr. Wells S. Herrington of The Stroh Brewery Co. in an old apartment above a bar in Saline this weekend. On the back is written "Maury's Bar Allen Road at Southfield Allen Park See Bill Stahl or Harry Moore"

Whatcha think of that, Beech Cricker? A Google led me to this thread...
    It is a small world, that is for sure!