Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Has there always been elevators in the old kresge building

The red one not the beige one. I was walking by it and it had elevators going down. Last time i saw that it was an h&m in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by YounginDetroit View Post
    The red one not the beige one. I wa walking by it and it had elavators going down. Last time i saw that it ws an h&m in chicago.
    Do you mean escalators?. [[Those open moving staircases?)

Yes.

Fondly remember them from my 60s youth.

Pretty common where ground-level rents are expensive. That would have been Detroit until the 60s. We'll likely be seeing that again here.

YounginDetroit, is this building with the old elevators located at 1201 Woodward or
    at 2727 Second St. in Midtown [[MCHT)? Or is it elsewhere?

At 1201 Woodward. I was excited for a second thanking they just put those in.

Thank you! 1201 Woodward likely was a department store at one time. I am
    familiar with the elevators at 2727 Second which was at one time a Kresge world
    headquarters - the red elevators in there are ancient and grand. I haven't seen
    the elevators at 1201 so I can't compare them.

I meant escalators sorry for the confusion.

Thank you. I will have to check out 1201 Woodward the next time I am near
    there, now that I know that it was a Kresge department store. Growing up in
    Royal Oak I was familiar with the Kresge's department store downtown there,
    on Washington Ave. [[as well as Neisners across the street), which had creaky
    wooden floors and somewhat more dust than a present day department store.

Quote Originally Posted by YounginDetroit View Post
    The red one not the beige one. I wa walking by it and it had elavators going down. Last time i saw that it ws an h&m in chicago.
    What is being planned for the building

I am certain the building had elevators in the SW corner, but I never used them. I assumed that they were for freight. Always used the escalators to get to the basement. I can recall a strange configuration of escalators to get you to the upper levels. I could be very fuzzy on this as the building has been shut for probably 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am certain the building had elevators in the SW corner, but I never used them. I assumed that they were for freight. Always used the escalators to get to the basement. I can recall a strange configuration of escalators to get you to the upper levels. I could be very fuzzy on this as the building has been shut for probably 25 years.
    I notice that work is being done to the building. What will open in the building once renovations are completed

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I notice that work is being done to the building. What will open in the building once renovations are completed
    I hear its going to be.....

I have wondered the same thing. For the amount of work being done to it, it won't remain empty. I am hoping for a large entry level store of some sorts like an Old Navy or something that will service the apartment dwellers needs.