Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Does Detroit has a Little League Baseball Team?

The Popularity of the internationally televised Little League World Series has wooed the audience where boys and few girls [[ Like Mo'ne Davis) pitch fastballs and slugging their bats at Williamsport, PA. I was wondering does Detroit has a Little League Baseball team? If it does can that team have a chance to go the Little League World Series? Surely Chicago has a Little League Baseball Team called Jackie Robinson West. An all Black team made it the LLWS Championship against South Korea, but lost.

I'm also wondering did some of the you forum members played in the Little League long ago or been to Williamsport. The last team in the Metro-Detroit Area the won the LLWS Championship was Pony League in Hamtramck in 1959.

We need teams from Michigan back to Williamsport, PA. Hopefully next year.

Any thoughts?

Detroit is in Little League Michigan District 6. Legends Little League, playing in Palmer Park, is affiliated with them. It looks like Detroit PAL also runs leagues, but they aren't identified on the District 6 website as an affiliate.

Pals is affiliated with the DTE Energy league. They have one location I know of which is a lighted field at Maharis Gentry park. The Detroit Tigers Foundation also sponsors the league

We just played two-on-two, three-on-three, four-on-four, etc or Scrub in the streets, on vacant lots, or school playgrounds. Nothing was organized.

There was a little league that serve the Cody Rouge and Warrendale areas in Detroit. It's called The McCosky Little League Baseball. It's on Joy Rd. just east of Evergreen Rd. The league somehow folded when the neighborhood went bust and lots of middle class folks moved away and welfare folks moved in.

Times sure have changed

I was raised in Lincoln Park.
    There was a regular Little League, where each team was sponsored by local business' with uniforms and equipment.

In addition, the city of LP and via their Parks Dept offered what was called a Recreation league for the lesser talented.

Both leagues in LP were heavily participated in the 60's and even into the 80's. The then Mellus Newspapers [[different one for each suburb city; today the News-Herald) carried the results and standings for all the leagues [[adults & kids).

There were Adult leagues as well for both Softball and hardball.

Each school in LP offered 3-4 fields that were PROPERLY maintained [[today the system doesn't have funds for such things and most schools are fortunate to have a single field with a backstop.

Not sure if the big change/absence today is a change in society [[and the interests of potential players), or simply a lack of funds?
    Last edited by wilderness; August-31-14 at 09:53 AM.

In the archived Westsiders' thread there was a sidebar into hardball leagues in the city. In my time Little League was virtually unknown while West Seven was huge. Check out the thread and recall the voices of some long-gone forumers from the golden era.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Times sure have changed

I was raised in Lincoln Park.
    There was a regular Little League, where each team was sponsored by local business' with uniforms and equipment.

In addition, the city of LP and via their Parks Dept offered what was called a Recreation league for the lesser talented.

Both leagues in LP were heavily participated in the 60's and even into the 80's. The then Mellus Newspapers [[different one for each suburb city; today the News-Herald) carried the results and standings for all the leagues [[adults & kids).

There were Adult leagues as well for both Softball and hardball.

Each school in LP offered 3-4 fields that were PROPERLY maintained [[today the system doesn't have funds for such things and most schools are fortunate to have a single field with a backstop.

Not sure if the big change/absence today is a change in society [[and the interests of potential players), or simply a lack of funds?
    not Detroit but...

I was raised in Port Huron...

There was a regular Little League, where each team was sponsored by local business' with uniforms and equipment, just like in Lincoln Park. i played for UAW Local 44 and we actually won the PHLL championship the last year i played [[1976)...

i dont know if it was part of the actual LL or city recreation but we had Morning Minors [[league) for the lesser talented. i played in that league one year and my dad helped coach when our "manager" ended up in the hospital for some sort of surgery. he was in his early 20s and my dad was around 40-42. everyone thought we had a REALLY old coach then...

the Times Herald [[Gannet) carried the results and standings for all the regular LL games but i dont recall anything from the Morning Minors...

There were Adult leagues as well for both Softball and hardball. my dad at one time played in a hardball league after coming home from the Navy and getting married and then moved on to softball in the industrial league [[as the name inplies industries vs bar league) and then in the church league...

we still have a very nice LL park with 4 [[maybe more) fields that are extremely well kept up. then there are 8-10 softball fields for those [[adult) leagues...

i agree it would be really neat to see a michigan or detroit area team in the LL world series...