Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default HO HUM: Just another Labor Day

Ho Hum! Just another Labor Day!

This one is on a Monday. The date is of more consequence.

September 1st is a special day for a lot of things. A harbinger of Autumn and the falling leaves!

A birth date for one person out of 365.

In 1949, September 1 was on a Thursday. I remember it quite well. A pleasant group of relatives and friends had gathered in St. Joseph’s Church, near Gratiot and Orleans. Two children, a girl and a boy were about to be wed! And they were. An Angel and an ‘Ass.’ The Ass took a long time to mature. The Angel persevered .

Note:
    The purpose of this post, is this. She loves my mushy gush and I do it as copiously as I can. She is an invalid . Dementia and Aphasia are her demons.
    She cannot walk without aid. She cannot feed herself. Her speech is 95% gone. With gutturals of “yes or no” we get along.

I can drag that out a little more but it is not necessary. I am her 24/7 Caretaker. I cook, clean, serve, shop, along with the more bodily functions. When tremors pop out I stop them just by holding her hands.
    In addition we have two part time Caregivers whose only job is to concentrate on Peggy. Read to her, exercise her, [[especially balloon volley ball. figure that one out) and work with cosmetics and nail polish to make her feel like just another woman. And so she does.)

So, why this Post? Good Question. I stumbled over it 8 years ago. When I got replies, [[almost all favorable,) Peggy began reading every thing and was tickled like a kid . She stopped reading over two years ago and so I read it to her. If I read her a ‘bad news’ comment, she would give it the ‘raspberries’

I went shopping yesterday, and brought home 4 Bouquets of flowers to set on the Living Room floor, in front of the Love Seat. We sit in our Laz-Z-Boy [[and girl) chairs on the opposite side of the room to see the flowers all day and night.Our anniversary is number 65,

P.S. When the one caregiver and our next door neighbor came over to visit Peggy yesterday, they all ganged up on me, if only vocally. When I told them I was going to write a post about them [[they all know I was a Plumber)) one of them told me to go “flush yourself.” We have our little life.

I was a care giver for about a year to a close friend. I wish I had done a better job than what I did. To this day I regret that I didn't do more. But... there's no way to change that. It's a tough challenge and you seem to be doing a good job. You should feel good about what you are doing. You seem like a good person. This old age stuff is tough. Best wishes.

old guy,
    "When somebody loves you," as the song goes, what more do you need?
    Yes, old age is tough. If you are fortunate enough to soften it by keeping busy, that helps to obscure the shadows.

Tom, such a coincidence. Our anniversary is next Saturday, and of course we were married on that Saturday in 1969. We plan to go down and celebrate with the Spirit of Detroit early Monday and retake our elopement picture.

On that date, I was three months old.
    Now, I am slowly catching up to you, but soaking up your wisdom.
    Keep teaching, tponetom.

Happy, Happy to you and your Peggy!! Every minute spent with the one you love is worth it!!

Best wishes to you both!!

September 1 is special to me and my hubby [[aka The Grillmaster)....it's the anniversary of our first date 38 years ago!! So we have a ways to go before we catch up with Tom and Peggy!

Everyone should have a date to cherish, whatever it may be. And the more dates, the more happy memories. I smother the bad dates with the good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Everyone should have a date to cherish, whatever it may be. And the more dates, the more happy memories. I smother the bad dates with the good ones.
    Couldn't agree more!! We remember "us" on the first of every month, as well as on our wedding anniversary. And we think back often to events in our lives that are happy and filled with family and friends.

p.s. tponetom:
    Mom and Dad were married ten years earlier than you, at St. Charles Borromeo Church, on Baldwin, between Agnes and St. Paul.

Ron and I married, 39 yrs ago. The above churches are so familiar. St Charles is around the corner and hosts many community functions and st Josephs is two blocks from my church Sr John St Luke.

Thank you for being such a sweet inspiration.

Sorry for the split post, I had to walk away to think a bit. Spent the last ten years as caretakers for ones we loved best.The 24/7 kind. They have now passed on. Overlapping that my husband has Parkinsons. This year was a nightmare of blood transfusions two extended hospital stays and major major surgery.

He is doing well now. He is good company and his mind is intact so I am fortunate that we are our own best company even if our life seems a bit restricted. He is now back to doing the New York Times puzzle. Thank you for reminding me that with all the issues illness can bring I still have my love and companion mentally intact.

God grant me the serenity you have and the gratitude to enjoy what I still have.
    Last edited by sumas; September-01-14 at 02:47 AM.

Default Past and Present

It's fun to compare now and then. We were so ecited to be able to recreate our wedding picture today.

Then and now in front of the Spirit of Detroit:

Name:  wedding shot.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  20140901_101055.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  54.1 KB

Beautiful pics, gazhekwe, then and now! It appears that both of you have much to be thankful for.

Gazhekwe, et al,
    I do not know how to publish a photograph . Can anyone walk me through the steps of
    "how to?" Baby steps , of course.

My mental abilities are stuck in my brain. Not lost, but the pathways to them are all tangled up. Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by tponetom View Post
    Gazhekwe, et al,
    I do not know how to publish a photograph . Can anyone walk me through the steps of
    "how to?"...
    This might help: Attachments and Images

You could casually try it out in the Test Lab. No one expects perfection there so there's no pressure.

I'm sure everyone would love to see your photos.

Oh, Tom, seeing your pix would be so wonderful! Here's how I do it.

1. Get the pix into the computer and note where they are so you can find them again.

2. Click on the little picture frame icon, third icon from the right along the top of the reply window.

3. In the pop up window that appears, select the 'from computer' tab.

4. Click on the 'Choose File' button.

5. Hopefully the window that pops up will be the one where your pictures are stored. You can go through them and pick the one you want.

6. Click below the Choose File button where it says 'Upload File.'

That should do it. I am going to follow my steps and post a beautiful sunrise just to make sure it's right.

Name:  labordaysunrise.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  31.1 KB
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-02-14 at 07:02 PM.

gazhekwe, Jimaz,

I will attempt as suggested of both helpers. [[Cooper street???)

Gazhekwe, thanks for the personal photos. It's nice to see you.

Thanks, old guy and Bobl. We've had a great run, that's for sure.

Say have a good run. Be positive! Have a dog that is well into his twenties and still don't take shit from the big dogs. Strangely, he is a bit of an interspersion.

gazhekwe
    Your "then and now " photo will warm any heart. Congrats on the longevity that has become such a rare quality for a couple to share!