Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Questions regarding street corner name signs of the 1950's

I need the dimensions of the 1956 [[?) series of street corner name signs. The type with black lettering on white with the black border. The name and size of the font used and the width of the black border would be a plus.

Originals are few and far between and the chance of getting the specific street I need, well I have a better chance of hitting the lottery. I have a signmaker that should be able to make one once I get the information requested.

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

I know that up until around 2012, there was one that still lingered at the corner of Fullerton and Glendale [[yes, these parallel streets do intersect each other near Telegraph and I-96).

There's one on south side of Grand River, east of Telegraph by Grand Lawn Cemetery too. I'm a bit too old to climb up the post to take measurements though.....

I vaguely recall spotting a few of these signs [[still up) for a few streets on Moross between Mack and Kelly...

Meanwhile, here's a virtual version I created some time back.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Meanwhile, here's a virtual version I created some time back.

What year did all of the street signs in the city were changed to white letters with green background?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    What year did all of the street signs in the city were changed to white letters with green background?
    Probably early 1970's, though it took until the mid 1990's for those to be rolled out across most of the city.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-29-14 at 08:18 AM.

Name:  Hayes.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  31.7 KB

20" long
    6" Wide
    Letters are 4" high

Purple Hayes.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Purple Hayes.......
    Excuse me while I kiss this guy.

The Detroit street signs of that era were lettered in FHWA Series C, the usual street/highway sign font. It's not publicly available, but there are many good approximations, including Interstate by Hoefler & Frere-Jones. Interstate Regular Compressed or Bold Compressed would be the closest: http://www.fontbureau.com/fonts/Interstate/styles/

Thank you for all the responses. Hopefully this is enough information for the signmaker.

Just for reference, I have all three generations of the most recent signs. The white and black signs are significantly shorter than the newer green signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    Just for reference, I have all three generations of the most recent signs. The white and black signs are significantly shorter than the newer green signs.
    The only thing the older green sign's missing is that block number on the upper right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The only thing the older green sign's missing is that block number on the upper right corner.
    There were three versions of the green signs.

The one you see without the block number [[that's older than the current green signs) was the 2nd version.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    There's one on south side of Grand River, east of Telegraph by Grand Lawn Cemetery too. I'm a bit too old to climb up the post to take measurements though.....
    This one?

What is up with that sign? It [[properly) says "Riverview ➵" the right way up, but upside down it says "Outer Drive E". There must be some story behind that one.
    Last edited by Király; August-31-14 at 10:59 AM.

Meanwhile, here's a similar-vintage Wayne County sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    This one?

What is up with that sign? It [[properly) says "Riverview ➵" the right way up, but upside down it says "Outer Drive E". There must be some story behind that one.
    That's the one. I saw a Terry street sign that under the reflective white you can clearly make out Pelkey under it. I assume that the city recycled the aluminum blanks and replaced the facing over the old material when they faded.

They did indeed recycle signs and recover them. I have an Orangelawn Black/White that after I scraped off the flaking overlay, it read Hardyke! :-)

DetroitSignal, you would not happen to have an original Greenview or Grand River you would part with?

did detroit ever have the debossed signs?

port huron's [[AGES ago) were debossed, black on white...

debossing is the opposite of embossed. the letters stick out from the back when debossed...

Detroit has debossed wooden signs before the metal black/white signs.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post
    DetroitSignal, you would not happen to have an original Greenview or Grand River you would part with?
    I have neither unfortunately. A good friend of mine has a GIGANTIC green Grand River sign. He is not interested in parting with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I vaguely recall spotting a few of these signs [[still up) for a few streets on Moross between Mack and Kelly...
    Below is a link to one of these black & white signs at Moross and Tyrone St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4227...YFUK6LYo6g!2e0

These signs are also at Moross/Payton St. and Moross/Roxbury St.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There were three versions of the green signs.

The one you see without the block number [[that's older than the current green signs) was the 2nd version.
    You might say there have been four versions of the green signs: FHWA Series C, no border, no number; FHWA Series C, no border, with number; Clearview 1-W, white border, wide-spaced; Clearview 2-W, white border, narrow-spaced [[the current issue). http://www.terminaldesign.com/fonts/...mplete-family/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast