Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Mondrian @ Midtown. Apartment building at 3435 woodward [[by Detroit 1 coney)

"“You have probably tens of thousands of people that ultimately want to live in downtown and Midtown. I think we’re a long way from a saturation of the market,” said developer Christopher Jackson. He plans to break ground next spring on The Mondrian @ Midtown, a $26.6-million building at 3435 Woodward"

http://www.freep.com/article/2014082...opment-credits

Hidden in this article was an update on the new building coming in midtown on woodward right next to detroit one coney island.. as we all know there have been signs up there for over a year now promising the construction of the building on that property. Well we found out i believe a month ago that the idea for office space there was scrapped and it is now market-rate apartments. Wonderful news on that front and we finally got somewhat of an update on it today. I wonder if they will keep the original design in the renderings on the giant sign that is plastered on the property. Regardless it seems from the past articles it will include 1st floor retail and possibly a parking structure out back.

Also as you can tell it has a fancy schmancy name now too "The Mondrian @ Midtown"

ps. again there's no demand for new housing in greater downtown, it's all fake, blah blah. /sarcasm

woodward is going to be beautiful by the end of 2016, with the rail complete, the arena coming to completion, and all the various structures dotting it along the path finally complete [[LTU building, hop cat, mondrian apartments, comerica parking lot buildings, and various mixed-use buildings from the redwings arena district)
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; August-26-14 at 08:47 PM.

This must be going in the place of that cancelled office building north of the coney island

More Apts. and yuppie condos in the area that was once called Black Bottom.

Will it lure young professionals there? A few about 24%.

Will it lure black middle class? A lot about 72%.

Will it lure poor welfare and food stamp people? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Do you honestly think it will lure "black" middle class? I don't think black people want to live in downtown Detroit. If they have the money, they're going to buy a home in Detroit or the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Do you honestly think it will lure "black" middle class? I don't think black people want to live in downtown Detroit. If they have the money, they're going to buy a home in Detroit or the suburbs.
    More and more black people who had left the city have expressed an interest living downtown as they become aware of the changes here. It will likely be retirees and young professionals first, but there is definitely a wave coming.

I certainly hope so, corktownyuppie. I welcome the diversity.

Will the Mondrian be painted white with big blocks of primary colors and black trim? That would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

this building specifically is not in black bottom... it's woodward in midtown.. the lafayette park ones are there though obviously..

I agree. As someone who is in the black middle class I can say most of my peers are still chasing the suburbs.

So how does one even apply to possibly rent out one of these apts.? It all seems like such an ultra-secretive process.

Is there any reason to believe they are currently accepting applications? If so, call them up and ask. I am guessing there is no one to call until they get organized, select a management company [[or otherwise set up a system), etc. I think we all need to sit tight in this respect.

How many units at 3435-woodward?

In terms of applying yeah, like mackinaw said this is still way too early in the process.. i would look for signs at the site maybe now but i doubt it, last i saw there was just signs for the construction company that is going to build it. When they break ground in the spring that's when i would look for 'apartments available for rent' signs popping up.

and emu not sure how many units but last i checked it was a 5 story building still.. i would guess somewhere between 60-70

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Is there any reason to believe they are currently accepting applications? If so, call them up and ask. I am guessing there is no one to call until they get organized, select a management company [[or otherwise set up a system), etc. I think we all need to sit tight in this respect.
    huge opportunity missed. there is obviously interest. in other markets [[madison, wi) 2500+ rental units are under construction/planning and many lease out before completion. websites are up and running before the shovel hits the ground. don't believe me? see below:

https://www.facebook.com/HubOnCampusMadison

http://www.ovation309.com/

http://www.varsityquarters.com/

http://mendotawaterfront.com/
    Last edited by hybridy; August-27-14 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    I agree. As someone who is in the black middle class I can say most of my peers are still chasing the suburbs.
    I recently moved to Hamtramck from Northwest Detroit, near where I grew up, because it was walkable and near Midtown/Downtown. I will say some of my friends/family which is very black and middle class questioned my move. If I had said I was moving to Farmington, I'm pretty damn sure they would not have thought it a little strange. I won't go so far as to say black people don't want to live downtown, I know plenty that do. But it doesn't seem to have the same appeal to black 20 and 30-somethings even if they're as well-off as their white counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    More and more black people who had left the city have expressed an interest living downtown as they become aware of the changes here. It will likely be retirees and young professionals first, but there is definitely a wave coming.

More black middle class will buy those apts. and condos at the New complex in Lafayette Park. I have seen more black middle class folks bought apts, condos and family homes in Woodbridge Estates. There's more black middle class folks brought family homes at Jefferson Village. Most of them came from well kept up homes in certain Detroit ghetto-hoods and few of them came from the suburbs.

Does this means that more middle class black folks are moving back to Detroit? No!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    huge opportunity missed. there is obviously interest. in other markets [[madison, wi) 2500+ rental units are under construction/planning and many lease out before completion. websites are up and running before the shovel hits the ground. don't believe me? see below:

https://www.facebook.com/HubOnCampusMadison

http://www.ovation309.com/

http://www.varsityquarters.com/

http://mendotawaterfront.com/
    I tend to agree. If I were the developer, as soon as I had my definitive construction schedule set, I'd accept and approve applications and give people tentative lease start dates. The good press for Detroit when such things inevitably fill up would be huge. As I recall, didn't the Broderick rent far in advance like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I tend to agree. If I were the developer, as soon as I had my definitive construction schedule set, I'd accept and approve applications and give people tentative lease start dates. The good press for Detroit when such things inevitably fill up would be huge. As I recall, didn't the Broderick rent far in advance like that?
    Yeah. And they made everyone wait at least 2-3 months after their "move-in date" before they could actually move in.

Not surprising. I fully anticipate that is a risk with this protocol; on one hand, management may get off on a bad foot with its tenants. On the other hand, the space is making money as soon as it is ready.

What the fuck is a Mondrian?

Most middle-class white people aren't trying to live downtown either. It's kind of a niche market.

It's certainly not true that middle class black people are categorically averse to living in greater downtown. I have no idea whether middle class black people are proportionally less likely to choose downtown living than members of other demographic groups, but I'm inclined to be skeptical. I find it more plausible that middle class black residents of greater downtown are disproportionately ignored due to their incompatibility with prevailing narratives about Detroit, and because white people in greater downtown tend to stay in mostly white social bubbles and miss a lot of what's going on.

The Mondrian should rethink their color scheme.

Anyone know anything about this? It's been a while. Last I heard they were planning on starting construction in the spring but it doesn't look like anything is starting soon.

http://imgur.com/WzYuHmp

new sign is up at the site! with a new not seen before rendering... updated design of the building. Looks pretty similar to the Ellington which is about a block away... also similar to the other proposed apartment complex across woodward.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast